Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 PM

30,892 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I am constantly astounded by how low metabolism falls with age. I was always active--career military--but I watched my weight constantly rising after about age 35 despite what I did about it.

Into my 50s I was doing 250 miles a week road cycling, including getting up at dawn on Saturdays for a 75-100 mile ride. I was eating no more than 2,000 calories per day...and still slowly gaining weight.

I seem to have reached a point of equilibrium--right at 30.1 BMI for the last five years, I'm still highly active--cardio and weight training--but I don't seem to be able to lose any pound I've ever gained.
The calories eaten is a more important factor than exercise for most people. It takes a lot of exercise to burn off calories. I'd trim the 2000 calorie diet to 1800 and keep up the exercise. High fiber foods tend to make you feel full without having a lot of calories. So increase the amount of beans, legumes, and seeds you have in your diet. (I sprinkle sesame seeds into every soup I eat, for instance--and I eat a lot of lentil and black bean soups--low in calories yet satisfying).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The calories eaten is a more important factor than exercise for most people. It takes a lot of exercise to burn off calories. I'd trim the 2000 calorie diet to 1800 and keep up the exercise. High fiber foods tend to make you feel full without having a lot of calories. So increase the amount of beans, legumes, and seeds you have in your diet. (I sprinkle sesame seeds into every soup I eat, for instance--and I eat a lot of lentil and black bean soups--low in calories yet satisfying).
I know about the calorie/exercise issue in itself. I burn about 10 calories a minute at a heart rate of 155 bpm (which is my "cruise" rate), so I realize up front that a 120 calorie soda would require 12 more minutes of cardio just to catch up. When I was doing century rides, I burned only about 3000 calories in 100 miles...less than a pound of fat.

I'm in my 60s now. I trimmed down to 1800 calories long ago. I stay away from grains and tubers, most of my carbs are leaves and most of my protein is ovo-lacto. Eat a lot of citrus fruit and grapes.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:56 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am fairly sure this is a common problem and has probably been covered before, but as the thread title says, my problem is motivation. I posted here instead of the Diet forum because my problem also has much to do with being older.

Before I continue, I am 62, female, 5'4", and I look and feel best as a size 6 and about 125 pounds. I have normal metabolism, but I have had a problem keeping weight off for about the past 40 years. My pattern has always been that when I am at the point I am now (almost a size 10), I have a 300-calorie breakfast, a 200-calorie lunch, and a normal dinner (about 700 calories) -- and eliminate all seconds, snacks, and desserts -- until I lose the weight, which usually takes about three months. Then, I forget about dieting until I gain the weight back, which usually takes about three years. However, about six years ago, at age 56, I had gained weight until I was 162 pounds and a size 12, and my husband had lost all sexual interest in me (whether this was because of our getting older or my getting fatter or both, I don't know). Well, at that point, I went on my usual diet and lost 47 pounds in nine months until I was 115 pounds and a size 2/4. I was very proud of myself, but it made no difference in my husband's physical desire for me. (Btw, we have a VERY good marriage otherwise, for the most part, and I know he has never had any kind of affair or any desire for one.)

So now, once again, I am at the point where I want/need to lose weight, but I just cannot psych myself to start dieting again (after the holidays, of course!) because I have always lost weight to please my husband more than myself, but now I just feel/think that if he doesn't really care whether or not I am a size 10 or a size 6, then why should I "deprive" myself for the sake of about 15 extra pounds (even though I know that the extra 15 pounds will turn into 20-40 pounds if I don't do something about it sooner rather than later, and even though I definitely feel better when I weigh less). And then there is also the fact that even with 15 extra pounds, I still actually feel okay and my health isn't affected, and I can't help but think that I am being more than just a little bit vain, stupid and shallow to be even worrying about an extra 15 or so pounds at my age. It is as though I am actually trying to talk myself out of even trying to lose weight.

So, I guess I am just asking for advice about how to motivate myself to lose weight when I don't care all that much for my sake and it doesn't seem to matter that much to anyone else, either. Again, it would be different if the extra weight was affecting my health, but it's not except that my energy level is just slightly less than it is when I weigh 125 -- and as far as my self-image regarding my appearance is concerned, even though I am reasonably attractive for my age. at age 62, that "ain't saying much!" and being a single-digit dress size won't change that fact!
If you "don't care at all" for your own sake, then you won't ever learn to keep the weight off. An extra 15 pounds makes me freaking MISERABLE. Ain't nothing "vain" about it. It's about being healthy and staying in shape, for your own sake, and for those that love you If that isn't motivation, then nothing is.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:21 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Dieter Bohlen is over 60.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:12 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Get yourself a pedometer and try for 8-10k steps a day; if possible, one that awards points through your insurance company. It's amazingly how motivating that can be!

Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile 3 dogs help

13,000 steps a day

Old 12-17-2015, 09:54 AM

That's about eight miles. Admirable, but a bit unrealistic for most of us!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:12 AM

888 posts, read 889,652 times
Years ago I experimented with intermittent fasting and had great success with it. It requires discipline and patience, particularly the first week as you retrain your brain. Afterwards, for me, it was easier. It can be a challenge with the social aspects of eating because others will want you to eat on their clock rather than yours.

There are many versions of intermittent fasting with a 5-hour eating window perhaps being the most popular.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:08 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's about eight miles. Admirable, but a bit unrealistic for most of us!
10,000 steps is about 3 miles. At even a casual pace, it takes no more than an hour. Not sure how that is "unrealistic".

Old 12-17-2015, 11:43 AM

I hiked six miles Saturday and that wasn't even 10k; one of us needs to recalibrate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement