U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:55 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
10,000 steps is about 3 miles. At even a casual pace, it takes no more than an hour. Not sure how that is "unrealistic".
10,000 Steps - Shape Up America!

Quote:
Walking 10,000 steps is the approximate equivalent of walking 5 miles. The distance covered depends on the length of your stride. That is why it is approximate.
I average about 10,000 steps a day. When I was working and having to sit most of the day, I made a point of taking at least 5 minute walk every hour and 2 long walks (30-45 minutes) at lunch time and after work. This usually added up to 15,000 steps. My record was 20,000 steps.

In retirement, I have many chores to do around the house (cleaning, moving things, cooking etc). These chores don't add to the steps but certainly help to keep my blood sugar low.

I agree with some previous posters that dieting is as important as exercising in weight loss but I think that one has to do both. Exercising makes you fitter, replaces fat with muscles, makes one feel more energetic etc. These factors help to burn more calories and speed up your metabolism contributing to weight loss instead of just dieting.

Regarding dieting, for me, I have never counted calories. I also don't follow any fads like atkin, paleo, vegan, Bernstein diets etc. I think the new food guideline of "choose my plate" is a very sensible one

Choose MyPlate

I think that one can be healthy by following the choose my plate guideline, replacing sugary, empty-calories snacks with nuts, fruits, vegetables. This 'diet' in combination of staying active will keep you healthy, full of energy, happy and content with one's own 'healthy' weight.

I am a number person but think that our society has put too much emphasis on the 'numbers' with regards to weight management. It's hard to stay motivated and committed to healthy lifestyle with constant calories counting, obsessed with weights, cloth sizes etc. If one shifts the focus to feeling energetic, not getting tired, feeling good about one's health and fitness level instead of one's figure then the extra fat and weight will go away.

I firmly believe that the motivation has to come from your own desire to be healthy and happy, on how you feel about yourself instead of on how others feel about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 04:39 PM

26,129 posts, read 28,521,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I know about the calorie/exercise issue in itself. I burn about 10 calories a minute at a heart rate of 155 bpm (which is my "cruise" rate), so I realize up front that a 120 calorie soda would require 12 more minutes of cardio just to catch up. When I was doing century rides, I burned only about 3000 calories in 100 miles...less than a pound of fat.

I'm in my 60s now. I trimmed down to 1800 calories long ago. I stay away from grains and tubers, most of my carbs are leaves and most of my protein is ovo-lacto. Eat a lot of citrus fruit and grapes.
Well maybe it really is a thyroid issue????

Old 12-18-2015, 08:18 AM

39,288 posts, read 20,376,459 times
I started paying attention to it and wish I hadn't. If you can't change the corruption, ignorance is bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement