Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 03:56 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,386,295 times

Advertisements

Give me a short flight over a L-O-N-G drive ANY day! I am the "lets get there and spend our vacation there vs getting there" type.

Airports don't bother me, but I admit the long flights are getting more difficult with age. Just booked a trip to Hawaii and considering upgrading air travel just for the comfort factor getting to and from. MUCH prefer cruising for this reason!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 05:14 AM

18,645 posts, read 33,203,329 times
I don't expect I'll have much money for travel in retirement, and I am moving to the one place I consistently travel to, in Colorado. I don't seem to want trips longer than two weeks, and travel alone at present, so I take whatever trips I want while working and having five weeks vacation. I also don't enjoy the whole flying mess.
That said, gotta go. A flight from Boston to Philly to visit my elderly aunt, who stopped being able to visit about ten years ago. So I know you should do it while you can.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:00 AM

30,254 posts, read 16,012,546 times
no excuses here. I just don't enjoy it anymore.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:25 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,892,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
no excuses here. I just don't enjoy it anymore.
Me neither.

I announced to anyone who cared, that when I retired, I was not coming off this hill until I was carried off

Old 12-16-2015, 07:51 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,334,143 times
We're 65 and 68 and look forward to international travel in 2016. No one enjoys the part about getting there.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:24 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,435,834 times
We are looking into chartering a small bizjet with another group of people to go from the east coast to the west coast next year. We'd have to drive down to TF Green airport in Warwick RI (about a 7 hour drive from our place), just to get on the jet. A bit pricey, as well. But it may well be worth it.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:29 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,913,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'll lead the way, to liberate others for coming forth with excuses that you may feel too embarrassed to post, and/or being accused of being a troll.
Honestly, I don't see why anybody has to make excuses for his/her interest, liking or decision. I don't know why one should be embarrassed or be accused of being a troll for stating their personal preference.

Some people loves to travel all their life. Some people never like to travel. Some use to travel but no longer want to do so for whatever reason (been there, done that - too much hassle now aday - not healthy or strong enough to travel etc..)

If one is pressured into traveling say to visit children etc and don't want to do it, just simply refuse and don't have to come up with excuses.

If your spouse wants to travel and you don't, just tell her or him to find another travel companion, go with a group etc.

IMO, at our ages, there should be less of a pressure or the need to 'keep up with the Joneses'. Could it be because we are all bombarded with media touting fabulous and vigorous senior lifestyle jet setting to all exotic locations, and feel bad because we don't fit the image? They are just false ads trying to sell the blue pills ;-)

Old 12-16-2015, 09:25 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,076,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Is there a word more vague/nebulous than smoking?

I'm sure, automatically, the nonsmoker assumes one is smoking 1-2-3 packs a day. I'm now down to a half-pack or 8 cigarettes a day, each one smoked in thirds or halves, but no non-smoker will ever give me credit for that. It's black or white with them!

Meet my roommate who smokes one a day, after his beer, but, but, but, just with one, he puts himself into the smoker category!

Any number of motel/hotel chains don't allow smoking. I never smoke in my room, I prefer to go outside and smoke, which is why I only stay in motels with aisle balconies, not in a high rise hotel, where I'd have to take the elevator down to the lobby, then go a distance from the lobby, to have a smoke!

After a flight, nothing tastes better to me than a smoke! And that can be a pain as well, just finding a smoking area outside the terminal!

So many times, faced with all the obstacles today, TSA checkpoints, not just with smoking, I just say: I'm staying home!

Sure there are a few people who can smoke just a little and are not addicted. That was not my situation nor does it appear to be yours. Counting cigarettes and smoking them by thirds and halves sounds like a struggle. Looking for hotels with convenient smoking areas sounds like someone dealing with addiction. If you are not addicted, quit for the sake of your health. If you are, switch to Nicorette until you can beat the addiction.

Beyond the cigarette issue, this whole post seem just weird. There is a world full of places to go with learning and adventures. Are you serious about being deterred by a few minutes in line or warning announcements at the airport?

Old 12-16-2015, 09:49 AM

10,045 posts, read 6,323,482 times
I traveled extensively for the Navy when I was working, to some pretty impressive places as well. I didn't mind it so much then, except for the one night spent sitting up in a chair at Chicago's O'Hare airport due to a storm delay. However, I now have neck issues that are exacerbated by sitting in an airplane seat for long periods, so I have to have a good reason to fly and deal with the resulting pain. I did visit a relative on the other side of the country this fall, so I'm good to go for awhile. I really prefer driving to local attractions anyway, since I live in a beautiful area with many historic locations.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:10 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,186,848 times
My problem is getting to and from the Airport. We live in a relatively quiet area . The speed and traffic on the interstates really bothers me. MANY years ago I drove a truck regularly through these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement