U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:55 PM

39,393 posts, read 20,489,622 times

Advertisements

These were supposed to be my good years to travel before I no longer could, it was my big dream to travel a lot . Instead I'm having to stay home taking care of my elderly mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 02:50 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,757,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Honestly, I don't see why anybody has to make excuses for his/her interest, liking or decision. I don't know why one should be embarrassed or be accused of being a troll for stating their personal preference.

Some people loves to travel all their life. Some people never like to travel. Some use to travel but no longer want to do so for whatever reason (been there, done that - too much hassle now aday - not healthy or strong enough to travel etc..)

If one is pressured into traveling say to visit children etc and don't want to do it, just simply refuse and don't have to come up with excuses.

If your spouse wants to travel and you don't, just tell her or him to find another travel companion, go with a group etc.

IMO, at our ages, there should be less of a pressure or the need to 'keep up with the Joneses'. Could it be because we are all bombarded with media touting fabulous and vigorous senior lifestyle jet setting to all exotic locations, and feel bad because we don't fit the image? They are just false ads trying to sell the blue pills ;-)
Bingo! Aren't we passed the age where we have to make excuses for our choices? Honestly, when I saw the title of this thread I got just a little bit annoyed. To me it goes under the category of "When you're this age you're expected to do this; when you're that age you're expected to do that."

When do we stop being sheeple?

I don't travel because of my financial situation, health reasons and I just don't care to because it's such a pain in the neck these days. No excuses but those are my reasons. I will travel a bit to see family or friends but that's about it.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,047,711 times
Quote:

IMO, at our ages, there should be less of a pressure or the need to 'keep up with the Joneses'. Could it be because we are all bombarded with media touting fabulous and vigorous senior lifestyle jet setting to all exotic locations, and feel bad because we don't fit the image? They are just false ads trying to sell the blue pills ;-)
If I see one more Viking River Cruise or "Italy would not be the same without a visit to Lake Como" ad pop up in my internet search or on PBS, I'm going to lose it. The marketing assumption is that boomers just have to have these experiences if they're going to be happy, fulfilled somehow, in life. I've been to Lake Como, it's nice. There are as many nice places here in the States, even my own state for that matter.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:28 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,165,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
These were supposed to be my good years to travel before I no longer could, it was my big dream to travel a lot . Instead I'm having to stay home taking care of my elderly mother.
petch751,

I am really sorry to hear about your burden. Could you find temporary help so that you could take a break and have a well-deserved vacation?

My SIL took care of my MIL for several years. We kept suggesting her to get some help and take a break every so often. She agreed on the principle but for whatever reason never did it. She was quite burned out when my MIL passed away. It took her years to recover from mental exhaustion and depression.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:18 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,001,077 times
My husband and I have always enjoyed traveling. Today - being older and somewhat more rickety - we just find it somewhat more expensive/challenging to travel and feel comfortable traveling. Since we don't live in a big city - we enjoy going to big cities around the world. First world cities - where we don't have to worry about hardly anything. Like what we eat - or needing emergency health care. Some are in the US/North America. Some are elsewhere. In the last 2 years - we've been to Singapore and London - Toronto and Los Angeles.

We haven't flown economy class for perhaps a decade now. Always business or first class. Many tickets "bought" through various credit card/points programs. Others just bought on sale (it is possible to pick up business class tickets for the price of back of the plane if you buy far in advance).

We also tend to spend more on hotels. We stay at luxury hotels - but I reckon there might be some good values for seniors at lower price points. You just have to shop it around (with both dollars and points).

When it comes to smoking - I still smoke. My major hub airport is ATL (close to where I live - an hour flight away). Can get to pretty much anywhere through Atlanta. The Atlanta airport still has smoking rooms. Those 12-14 hour flights to Asia (have taken 3) aren't a lot of fun for smokers. But I use smoking aids - and it's not so bad. There are plenty of hotel rooms - especially outside the US - where it's easy to get smoking rooms. The only place I have run into problems that couldn't be solved in recent years when it comes to smoking was when I had to attend a family wedding in Michigan. Which is a 100% non-smoking state when it comes to to hotel rooms. We wound up staying with my in-laws (parents of the bride). FWIW - apart from this family wedding - Michigan - especially the Detroit metro/suburb area I had to go to - wouldn't be on radar screen in terms of a travel destination.

The only travel thing we really hate these days are those 300-450 mile road trips. Won't do them. Neither will our siblings for the most part. Which is why we don't see them very often. I will probably return to Japan again before I see my inlaws who live in North Carolina. Robyn

Old 12-16-2015, 06:00 PM

49 posts, read 33,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
no excuses here. I just don't enjoy it anymore.
Neither do I. I did my travelling during my 20s, 30s and early 40s...which was fine because I had the energy, interest, stamina and funds to do so. Back then, it was interesting and enjoyable. Nowadays, I have no desire to even consider sleeping away from home for even a single night (and, frankly, won't.)

If I can't leave home, get somewhere, and be back home in 20 hours or less... forget about it. Can't think of a single solitary thing or situation that would remotely tempt me to, LOL

Old 12-16-2015, 06:17 PM

39,393 posts, read 20,489,622 times
Quote:
petch751,

I am really sorry to hear about your burden. Could you find temporary help so that you could take a break and have a well-deserved vacation?

My SIL took care of my MIL for several years. We kept suggesting her to get some help and take a break every so often. She agreed on the principle but for whatever reason never did it. She was quite burned out when my MIL passed away. It took her years to recover from mental exhaustion and depression.
It's too late for me, her expenses are killing me and I hope I don't end up like your SIL although I do have days when I am very angry at my mom for not planning. I keep mentioning it because there are many people in the older but still healthy generation that don't even consider the fall out for their kids for not planning for their elder years. It's like they got to do what they want but then dump on the kids right when their kids are about to get a chance to live their lives outside of work. It's selfish.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:45 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,339,063 times
I only travel by car or private plane. I wouldn't give any airline one cent of my hard-earned money.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:56 PM

2,751 posts, read 740,965 times
I agree with those who say no excuses are needed. When I tell people I don't travel even though I am retired, they are incredulous. I don't think retirement has to equal travel, although it definitely is something the majority of retirees enjoy. For a while I used to justify it by telling people how much our health insurance costs (now $1500 a month). And I would say that I hated to leave my cat, although a friend advised me not to say that since it makes me sound like the crazy cat lady.

If a day comes that I ever get bored or can't find beautiful local scenery, I may consider traveling. But I'm a homebody who needs my creature comforts. I barely can get a good night's sleep in my own bed; I certainly couldn't in a hotel bed. And I love to cook. I'd miss not having my cooking for a week. Eating meals out is difficult (I eat a whole food plant based diet).

I also had difficulty finding my groove with vacations. Just sitting on a beach for a week wouldn't be my thing, but I found city vacations tiring and always felt compelled to be on the go. When I want to England and didn't get anything from seeing Stonehenge in person I began to question whether I was meant to travel.

I know people talk about traveling as a way to grow and learn. But to be honest, when my friends come back from traveling even to faraway exotic places I don't see any difference in how they think and behave. They just have photos and souvenirs. One friend decorates her home and wears stuff from her travels ad nauseum...until then she goes to a different place and the last place is forgotten and the cycle begins. I live a very full life always learning stuff through reading books and online. I make sure I have beauty in my life (just got back from a Metropolitan Opera broadcast---didn't have to travel to NYC to see it!). I am exposed to different cultures daily since I live in a very diverse area.

So---no excuses. I'm happy for those who love to travel because so many people do really seem to love it, even if flying isn't fun. But please don't feel sorry for us homebodies either!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:17 PM

15,669 posts, read 4,149,886 times
I think each of us has to search our own souls about travel.

It's crazy to pretend that it's fun for everyone - there is no built-in human tendency which says it's fun to get in a pressurized kerosene fueled aluminum tube and go to other places...many of which have the same "made in china" goods that we have around the corner.

Or...to go to places which are populated 90% by tourists and designed to take your money.

Think of the energy equation - what if everyone on the planet traveled around to see everywhere else? This would basically ruin the entire earth!

I have decided that I enjoy BEING places. Even when I go to Europe (been there, but not extensively), I'm likely to want to stay in each place a long time and get the flavor of it. No "see 10 historic churches today" for me!

We have a place in New England and also a cottage along the coastline in Rhode Island. We can "be" in those places and sail, walk, dine, explore...still haven't see what is to be seen there. We also are now spending a lot of time in Sarasota, Florida - again, being there - going shopping with the local Amish (who also winter here), exploring the natural areas as well as the city culture.

If I want to go to China.....I read books. And I do. Maybe I will go there, maybe not. But I like living day to day and not running around searching for something....others may have natural wanderlust and they should also follow their hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement