U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:19 PM

3,996 posts, read 3,220,385 times

Advertisements

At our ages, do we really need excuses for anything? Havent we earned the right to do something, or not do something, just because we feel like it, or dont feel like it? I traveled a bit while younger, but now that Ive settled in Florida, I havent a single urge to go anywhere, except maybe here in the state...lots to see here. I like taking day trips as long as Im home by late afternoon. Im right where I want to be.

Theres enough travel shows on TV, or web sites, that I can go to any country in the entire world, and be home for dinner.

My travel days are done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 08:20 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,965,934 times
My wife has MS which makes it difficult to travel much. The last trip to Europe ( been there 3 times and Hawaii) was very difficult. Even just going from PHL through IAH last month was a real stress builder. Having to get a wheel chair and then take elevators and then contend with luggage as well, I am becoming more of a homebody. I sometimes become discouraged as I now we have the funds and the time to go more places; however, I just am getting to the point that I don't enjoy it with all the hassles. Problem is that my wife still wants to GO................

Old 12-16-2015, 08:55 PM

16,418 posts, read 5,354,959 times
We have the budget to fly first class if we wanted to. I would love to see a little bit more of the world, provided that it's not a whirlwind tour. I want to go at a more leisurely pace and see a few places in depth instead of running from here to there, packing and unpacking constantly.

The problem is that Mr. Bay Absolutely. Will. Not. Travel. Not even a weekend road trip to the wine country or Carmel. His excuse is that he has an enlarged prostate and is afraid of not being near a bathroom. He also is very tall and overweight, so airline seats are cramped for him. But most of all, he's very set in his ways and does not like his daily routine altered. He would rather watch travel and nature documentaries on PBS.

If a single friend of mine were willing, I'd gladly pack my bags, leave him at home with some frozen dinners and take off on a girlfriend getaway. Ciao!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 PM

17,401 posts, read 21,239,668 times
I did a great deal of travel earlier, 12 trips to South/Central America 2004-2009, and I look at the photo's today and wonder if it was I who actually did it. In retrospect, I don't know how I did it! I missed seeing Colombia, still get an urge, occasionally, to clear up that loose end, but the excuses start rolling in, and I may just do it yet, during a senior moment! And kick myself for doing it!

Given all my travels, over the years, if I talk to some relative/long-term friend on the phone, always the question comes up: Where have you been traveling lately?

And, any number of them seem puzzled when I say: my traveling days are all but over!

No road trips, either? Nope! Not even that!

In fact, I don't even travel to the other side of the Las Vegas Valley!

Contentment has set in, finally! Just staying home with my ferret!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:34 PM

444 posts, read 281,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
We have the budget to fly first class if we wanted to. I would love to see a little bit more of the world, provided that it's not a whirlwind tour. I want to go at a more leisurely pace and see a few places in depth instead of running from here to there, packing and unpacking constantly.

The problem is that Mr. Bay Absolutely. Will. Not. Travel. Not even a weekend road trip to the wine country or Carmel. His excuse is that he has an enlarged prostate and is afraid of not being near a bathroom. He also is very tall and overweight, so airline seats are cramped for him. But most of all, he's very set in his ways and does not like his daily routine altered. He would rather watch travel and nature documentaries on PBS.

If a single friend of mine were willing, I'd gladly pack my bags, leave him at home with some frozen dinners and take off on a girlfriend getaway. Ciao!
A friend in a similar position came up with a great solution that satisfies her need for travel. She does tours with Road Scholar. Her husband is happy at home and she meets people through the program. Just throwing this idea out there.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:53 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,960,701 times
I am planning to do more short trips - one or two nights within a day's drive mainly. I'm happy to stay mainly within CA or the PNW, as I prefer cool weather. I also have pain issues, so I am planning on putting a camper on my pickup, so I can just find a place to park so I can lie down. Plus, I can just stay in a camprground for much cheaper.

I live in a beautiful area and I love spending time in nature right where I live with my dog. I do miss some culture. So, I'm starting to plan trips to cities where I can go see a great show once in a while. And when I need sunnier weather in the winter, when I have my camper, I'll just drive down the coast with my dog.

Long trips to places with different cultures, etc., don't interest me anymore. Doing so was fun, but gave me a fresh realization that it's really comfortable to stay within my own safe country, where the cops are actually the good guys, in a culture that I understand. I figure there is plenty to see right here in the U.S., and even right here in the dry (non-humid) west to keep me happy until I die.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:57 PM

16,418 posts, read 5,354,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandRetired View Post
A friend in a similar position came up with a great solution that satisfies her need for travel. She does tours with Road Scholar. Her husband is happy at home and she meets people through the program. Just throwing this idea out there.
Thanks for the suggestion, BeaverIslandRetired. I have considered tours but hadn't heard of Road Scholar and will check it out. That would be great as long as I could have a single room as I wouldn't feel comfortable bunking with a stranger.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:58 AM

444 posts, read 281,643 times
Road scholar is what used to be elder hostel. you might recognize it under that name.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:41 AM

2,740 posts, read 724,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Contentment has set in, finally! Just staying home with my ferret!
And the ferret appreciates your being at home with him/her! I am always amazed at people who have the travel bug and a pet(s), thinking nothing of boarding them or leaving them at home for extended periods.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:05 AM

17,401 posts, read 21,239,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
And the ferret appreciates your being at home with him/her! I am always amazed at people who have the travel bug and a pet(s), thinking nothing of boarding them or leaving them at home for extended periods.
I can most certainly understand why great pet lovers do very little, if any, traveling, as their pets can be, symbolically, Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa.

I have an old friend, who has kept saying, over the years, as soon as my dog dies, I'll finally do some traveling. She's now 65, and she has 2 dogs and 3 cats, and she's never fulfilled her promise all these years, when the last pet died, to do some traveling.

And she'd never, ever think of leaving a pet at a kennel, let alone trust anyone to take care of it/them while she was gone!

I lost my last of 5 ferrets in 2004, and only then, did I resume my big-time travels again, from 2004-2009. After that, I went back to finally buying another ferret, which I can take along on my domestic trips, providing we don't have to fly, as ferrets are no longer allowed on planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement