U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:59 AM

39,225 posts, read 20,350,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I was a flight attendant for 35 years. It was a very difficult job, that only got worse after 9/11. I retired in 2014 and relocated to a new city. I bought a ticket on Southwest and flew to my new home with my two cats stowed under my seat.

While I was deplaning, I looked back at the airplane knowing it was last time I would ever fly.

I will NEVER step foot on an airplane for as long as I live.
LOL organic_donna, my aunt was a TWA flight attendant back in the heyday. I was very young then and my dad would drive her to or pick her up at the airport a lot and he would dare NOT go without me. I used to look at her with such awww in that TWA uniform. She seemed so cultured, so pressed, prim and proper. All my young life I wanted to be a flight attendant and dreamt of traveling a lot, my parents convinced me to go to college first, then life happened.

I finally went for an interview. On the way to the interview I spilled coffee on my suit, a misty rainy morning, a car driving by splash snow muck on me, I cleaned up as best as I could and kept going. Then I had to read two paragraphs in front of a room full of 200 people. I always got tongue tied pronouncing "aluminum" and wouldn't you know it, the paragraph included the word aluminum TWICE! Hey they got a good laugh. Of course I was not selected.

Strange, now that I'm older I'm afraid to fly. But yep, I'll still get on that plane (insured to the hilt).

Last edited by petch751; 12-18-2015 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:06 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,153,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'm 62, haven't been out of the country since 1992, go to the same couple of places every year, and I am on the Pre-check list and never signed up for it. I think I'm profiled onto it!
The free TSA pre-check was officially over last September

Free TSA Pre-Check Is Officially Over! - One Mile at a Time

TSA Ends Precheck Free Rides With Shut Down of Managed Inclusion Program – Skift

Old 12-18-2015, 08:14 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,925,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This wasn't just skin bacteria. I know you have a vivid imagination so think about what probably happens on the pretty comforter they have on the beds. How often do you think they launder those or the blankets or the pillow or clean the mattress? EW - ew - ew.

It was really quite gross - much more than skin bacteria.
The last time I gave a minute's thought to the cleanliness of a hotel room was perhaps 10 years ago when we got stranded at IAH due to a missed connection. The airline gave us vouchers for the "Bates Motel" (every decent place at the airport was sold out). It was gross. So I know there are some nasty places out there. But this isn't the kind of place I book on my own.

IMO - the worst is staying with a relative who has a guest room where the bed is an old "double bed" - the mattress is 40 years old and shaped like a "V" - or both. When we were younger - our parents - who had guest rooms like that - used to insist that we stay with them when we visited. We never got a decent night's sleep. At some point - my husband and I put down our feet. And said we wouldn't do it any more. And slept happily ever after during our subsequent visits.

These days - it seems like the hotels we stay at are tripping over one another to ensure fantastic sleeping experiences. The beds/bedding are wonderful. Better than the ones we have at home. Doesn't hurt that the linens are changed every day (I resist the "eco-conscious" options). Towels (usually changed twice a day) and robes are wonderful too (I've been buying hotel brand turkish cotton robes for years to use at home). We pamper ourselves when we travel - and often don't feel like coming home . Robyn

Old 12-18-2015, 08:37 AM

5,917 posts, read 2,287,324 times
WE are two years away from retirement and do plan on travelling more than we do now. We are thinking of getting a RV as my wife, for some unknown reason thinks that now we are in our mid 60s that getting in and out of a small tent during the middle of the night to go to the bathroom is not as easy as it was 40 years ago. I suggested getting a larger tent, one you can stand up in etc but she would perfer an RV with a decent bathroom. In all seriousness I also think it would be nice to have, but not too large of one. We flew to the UK for a five week holiday this past year and the flight was 8.5 hours plus another one hour flight after we got there, it is the time between flights that I do not like. We staid at bread and breakfasts except of one night in a small hotel. On our trip back to NA the airlines for some reason bumped us up to first class which was both nice and bad, bad because my wife tells me that is the only way she will travel now. In reality she would fly in cargo if it meant she could go somewhere that she wants to see, which is actually everywhere she has never been yet plus most of the places she has already been.

Several of our trips with the RV include crossing this continent. Neither of us mind driving, are both healthy and can find things to do anywhere so if we get tired or bad weather we would be able to stay put for days on end if needed. It would be nice to have the excuse of not travelling because we have been everywhere otherwise lack of funds, energy or health will be the most likely excuses for us as we get even older.

My mother is in here late 80s and she still flies three or four trips per year, half are short trips of less than two hours the others are transcontinental or down to Australia or Asia. She used to do one more per year but she has cut down mostly because she finds it tiring but she claims it is because she completed her bucket list. I would love to have the means and the health to travel at her age like she does. It is so good for her. Otherwise she used to take bus trips to come see us but she finds it more tiring that the plane so my wife goes and picks her up, it is only a six hour round trip to do that so my wife can do it in the one day unless she has time to spare.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:41 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,217,250 times
No excuses to come up with. Just don't have the funds to travel period and not going to just go out and waste fuel to have something to do. My living large days are over.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:00 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,117,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL organic_donna, my aunt was a TWA flight attendant back in the heyday. I was very young then and my dad would drive her to or pick her up at the airport a lot and he would dare NOT go without me. I used to look at her with such awww in that TWA uniform. She seemed so cultured, so pressed, prim and proper. All my young life I wanted to be a flight attendant and dreamt of traveling a lot, my parents convinced me to go to college first, then life happened.

I finally went for an interview. On the way to the interview I spilled coffee on my suit, a misty rainy morning, a car driving by splash snow muck on me, I cleaned up as best as I could and kept going. Then I had to read two paragraphs in front of a room full of 200 people. I always got tongue tied pronouncing "aluminum" and wouldn't you know it, the paragraph included the word aluminum TWICE! Hey they got a good laugh. Of course I was not selected.

Strange, now that I'm older I'm afraid to fly. But yep, I'll still get on that plane (insured to the hilt).
It was your lucky day when you spilled the coffee on your suit. It looks glamorous to some, but if people only knew. I am so happy not to have to deal with all of the weather and mechanical delays anymore. The day I retired I felt like I was let out of prison.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:57 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,925,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
WE are two years away from retirement and do plan on travelling more than we do now. We are thinking of getting a RV as my wife, for some unknown reason thinks that now we are in our mid 60s that getting in and out of a small tent during the middle of the night to go to the bathroom is not as easy as it was 40 years ago. I suggested getting a larger tent, one you can stand up in etc but she would perfer an RV with a decent bathroom. In all seriousness I also think it would be nice to have, but not too large of one. We flew to the UK for a five week holiday this past year and the flight was 8.5 hours plus another one hour flight after we got there, it is the time between flights that I do not like. We staid at bread and breakfasts except of one night in a small hotel. On our trip back to NA the airlines for some reason bumped us up to first class which was both nice and bad, bad because my wife tells me that is the only way she will travel now. In reality she would fly in cargo if it meant she could go somewhere that she wants to see, which is actually everywhere she has never been yet plus most of the places she has already been.

Several of our trips with the RV include crossing this continent. Neither of us mind driving, are both healthy and can find things to do anywhere so if we get tired or bad weather we would be able to stay put for days on end if needed. It would be nice to have the excuse of not travelling because we have been everywhere otherwise lack of funds, energy or health will be the most likely excuses for us as we get even older.

My mother is in here late 80s and she still flies three or four trips per year, half are short trips of less than two hours the others are transcontinental or down to Australia or Asia. She used to do one more per year but she has cut down mostly because she finds it tiring but she claims it is because she completed her bucket list. I would love to have the means and the health to travel at her age like she does. It is so good for her. Otherwise she used to take bus trips to come see us but she finds it more tiring that the plane so my wife goes and picks her up, it is only a six hour round trip to do that so my wife can do it in the one day unless she has time to spare.
Do have a frank talk with your wife about how she wants to travel. Whether she even wants to travel in something like an RV. I know some people are ok with that kind of travel - but others aren't. Certainly wouldn't be my cup of tea. In any event - I would rent one for at least a couple of trips before I'd buy one. Perhaps it is even more cost-effective for people to rent an RV for whatever trips they care to take in them - as opposed to buying them? Don't know. It is something to look into.

My husband and I once took a 4 month trip round trip from Florida to the Rocky Mountains - and a bit west of them - in the winter - to see parts of the US that are great in the winter. Left in December and got back home in April. Seeing all those winter wonderlands was actually very dazzling. But it wouldn't be a trip you'd want to do in an RV. Not in terms of driving in one - or living in one. Too many icy roads - too cold. When we started to head home in April - the RV people were starting to come out in full force in that neck of the woods. Didn't enjoy traveling along the roads there with those RVs swaying from here to there and everywhere along mountain roads one bit. And was glad we were heading home. Robyn

Old 12-18-2015, 05:05 PM

536 posts, read 631,536 times
I just got back from a business trip to London (I am old but not retired). It is very, very good for my spirits to get away, which makes the hassles worth it. For me, jet lag is no new problem, but this time coming back was really hard, as I couldn't sleep for days.

Still worth it. Gosh, I had a great time, and that made the coming and going all right. I also booked a shared van service as the flight was ending around midnight and I thought I would be too tired to drive. There was a delay and it was 3 in the AM before I was home--so glad I didn't have to operate a car, as tired as I was. But. . . .yes, worth it.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:53 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,805,237 times
We just have a different perspective about travel in our household. I enjoy it, and planned on travelling about 50 days a year, maybe over the period of seven to ten different trips. My wife has gradually evolved to detest travelling at all, she just hates to do it.

Even short jaunts (a night or two) over to San Francisco, less than two hours away, have become difficult to get done. She just gets in a bit of a bad mood a few days before the trip and I don't think we've taken a single trip the past three or four years where she hasn't stated repeatedly she didn't really want to go on the trip. Family trips aren't much better, she does those very reluctantly too.

We discussed trying out an RV, but that really doesn't work for us because we travel to urban areas, neither of us are oriented towards the camping life. Pulling a trailer or 5th wheel on the back of a truck doesn't appeal to me either, and we won't get a motorhome and pull the car.

So I still enjoy it, but the hassle of getting my wife on board with the trip is making me less inclined to propose trips. We are heading out for a couple of days to San Francisco to see the Christmas lights and decorations downtown, something we've done every year since moving out to California in 2006, and she is really not in the mood for this trip either.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think each of us has to search our own souls about travel.

It's crazy to pretend that it's fun for everyone - there is no built-in human tendency which says it's fun to get in a pressurized kerosene fueled aluminum tube and go to other places...many of which have the same "made in china" goods that we have around the corner.

Or...to go to places which are populated 90% by tourists and designed to take your money.

Think of the energy equation - what if everyone on the planet traveled around to see everywhere else? This would basically ruin the entire earth!
In the 19th and 20th Centuries, way before the digital age, people learned they could break out of their humdrum locale and see the outside world. Many artists, writers, musicians, and cultured people traveled for cultural enlightenment, and others as a sign of their class. Every place in the world, not being modernized or changed by Western societies, was once utterly unique with ethnic traditions and truly untouched landscapes.

After the industrial age and into our post modern world, in many places in Europe you have to ferret out the old-world historic sites where you see the original culture. Being half Italian, I went to Italy in search of that authentic old world Italy, and was I shocked. I had been so naive, not having been out of the country before. Yes we found a lot of the historic and the untouched, but the cities like Rome and Milan totally contemporized, full of traffic and sights of ugly industrialism along the way. The culture in many European places, so I read and am told by other travelers, is a highly mixed bag. Sometimes it feels like you're in the good old USA with all its metro pluses and drawbacks.

My sister wants to go to Positano. We were there briefly and it was overfull of tourists like us. This made the place feel like a commodity. Same with Como and Venice (we went at the wrong time of year). The trip was tiring overall and I was quite ill after coming home on a plane with many very sick children.

This is not to denigrate travel, it's just a reality check regarding expetations. There's plenty to do and see all over the world. But I'd rather have an immersion experience than a quick trip through, and the best hotels and restaurants don't interest me. The finest meal we had was out in the country in the middle of nowhere that we found by accident while being lost. Plain old world meal, no frills, in a family inn that was closed when we got there and the nonna pulled her grandson out of bed to make us the dinner. More of that and I'd want to travel much more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement