U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 05:36 AM

17,407 posts, read 21,249,654 times

Advertisements

I'll lead the way, to liberate others for coming forth with excuses that you may feel too embarrassed to post, and/or being accused of being a troll.

I'm 65, I was thinking of doing a short plane hop to L.A. for a day or 2, and what obstacle makes me waver, should I or shouldn't I? Would you believe it, those TSA messages, while waiting to board the plane drive me to madness. "If you should see an unattended bag............"

Last time, I took earplugs along, the plane was delayed an hour, and even with the earplugs, I could still hear that irritating message/voice every 15 minutes, or was every 10 minutes? Is there some place you can hide out, like the restroom, to avoid this, before boarding the plane?

I'm sure 99% of travelers tune those messages out, no complaints, but not me! Crazy? I guess so!

And then there's the cramped seating of planes today. Still smoking, there's yet another excuse to say: Oh screw it! I'll just stay home!

Thank God I did most of my domestic/international travels much earlier in life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 05:40 AM

8,795 posts, read 7,710,113 times
You're problem is not with traveling, its with flying. We plan on lots of travel after we retire, but not on an airplane. I'm with you. I avoid flying like the plague. But I may have to get on a plane this year. But I'm tough, I'll survive.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:38 AM

One more excuse! I took my one long road trip this year to Gold Beach, OR, and got a speeding ticket on my return! $220!

Takes all the fun out of driving, worrying about getting a traffic fine!

And please don't have someone come along and post: Just do the speed limit and no problems!

If anyone can drive that god-awful boring 440 mile stretch from Reno to Las Vegas (2-lane road), with the biggest town of Hawthorne to break up the trip with 3300 people, and not go over the speed limit, they should get the Robot of the Week award!

Old 12-15-2015, 06:46 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,321,007 times
We still travel, only in the motorhome. After flying an average of 75K miles a year for business I don't want to get on another plane, except in emergency. We used to fly to HI every year and now my spouse can't make the trip due to back problems and the "card board" seats. So we travel in comfort of our home on wheels.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,492,863 times
Hurtling through the sky at high speed and altitude in a cramped, aluminum cigar tube is not my idea of a good time. Driving 2,000+ miles to get back home from CA while having to take a stretch break at regular intervals was also not the most pleasant thing. Did all that last month replete with three boarding and disembarking episodes on the same plane trying to get out of here including one turn-around in the air to return to the airport after an hour of flight not to mention a luggage delay of about an hour and a half at my final destination.

I have no desire to travel again anytime soon including to my oldest son's home for Christmas with his family which would be a 1,500 mile round trip journey. Give me terra firma and short drives!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:29 AM

3,990 posts, read 2,544,884 times
I take a 2 hour flight every Christmas and it stress me out beginning when I get in the car to drive to the airport.
You've already spent a lot of money to the airline and if something happens where your late you lose that money.
I get motion sick so I can't read I just sit there bored to death, I do bring a hamburger, I use food to help keep me entertained.
I'm sure glad when I arrive, I hate the whole thing.
I did take the train and as a model railroading buff I really enjoyed the train, its very relaxing watching the passing scene. But at 29 hours and its always about 32 or 33 hours at Christmas because of all the people boarding its just too long, even retired.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:27 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,691 times
We are not looking for excuses not to travel, but looking at curtailing flying, and particularly long flights, as time goes on. We love to travel and have the means to do so. In the last ten years we've visited Asia, South America, the Caribbean, and Europe, some multiple times. Our latest trip was to Paris and Egypt in October. We have a European trip booked for next year, plus another trip to the South Pacific (Tahiti).

But I admit flying gets harder and harder. We try to fly Premium Economy whenever it's available now, for the extra roomy seats. But the altitude affects my husband's rheumatoid arthritis and lung issues. I have my own issues with arthritis but manage better. We're finding that non-stop flights now work better for us, if we can find them. But I can see the end is in sight--this will no doubt be our last trip to Tahiti and I'm not sure if another flight to Asia is in the cards. Europe, yes, for now.

We don't mind airports, we roll with the punches. Outside of the U.S. they are better, at least feel less like an armed camp.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:19 PM

1,926 posts, read 990,367 times
dry rot....... and the tires don't look too good either

Old 12-15-2015, 11:26 PM

6,267 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Sounds like someone needs a full checkup including mental health. And, BTW, it is way past time to quit smoking.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sounds like someone needs a full checkup including mental health. And, BTW, it is way past time to quit smoking.
Is there a word more vague/nebulous than smoking?

I'm sure, automatically, the nonsmoker assumes one is smoking 1-2-3 packs a day. I'm now down to a half-pack or 8 cigarettes a day, each one smoked in thirds or halves, but no non-smoker will ever give me credit for that. It's black or white with them!

Meet my roommate who smokes one a day, after his beer, but, but, but, just with one, he puts himself into the smoker category!

Any number of motel/hotel chains don't allow smoking. I never smoke in my room, I prefer to go outside and smoke, which is why I only stay in motels with aisle balconies, not in a high rise hotel, where I'd have to take the elevator down to the lobby, then go a distance from the lobby, to have a smoke!

After a flight, nothing tastes better to me than a smoke! And that can be a pain as well, just finding a smoking area outside the terminal!

So many times, faced with all the obstacles today, TSA checkpoints, not just with smoking, I just say: I'm staying home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement