U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 01:54 PM

2,736 posts, read 3,268,845 times

Advertisements

Greetings all. I am 55 years old and have worked for my organization 5 months shy of 30 years. Given my age and a few other factors, retirement is another 8 to 10 years away. But, as we've all said at one time or another, "10 years goes by like that!"

For several months, I've mulled in depth about retirement. More so about the moment when that last and final day at work arrives; the day when I'll say goodbye and walk away from it all, possibly after working 40 years in my organization and line of work. I never thought I'd say/write this but, frankly, the thought scares me.

It's only recently that I've realized the degree to which I identify with my job. To know that someday I will wake up and no longer be "that person" puts a bit of a damper in my spirit. In like manner, I have no idea what I would occupy my time after retirement.

So, has anyone else gone through these early pre-retirement jitters?

If so, what did you do to get over it?

Who do you become after you no longer identify with your trade, title, line of work?

Does everyone go through this?

After retirement, does one resign him/herself to living vicariously through the memories?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 02:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,441,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Greetings all. I am 55 years old and have worked for my organization 5 months shy of 30 years. Given my age and a few other factors, retirement is another 8 to 10 years away. But, as we've all said at one time or another, "10 years goes by like that!"

For several months, I've mulled in depth about retirement. More so about the moment when that last and final day at work arrives; the day when I'll say goodbye and walk away from it all, possibly after working 40 years in my organization and line of work. I never thought I'd say/write this but, frankly, the thought scares me.

It's only recently that I've realized the degree to which I identify with my job. To know that someday I will wake up and no longer be "that person" puts a bit of a damper in my spirit. In like manner, I have no idea what I would occupy my time after retirement.

Who do you become after you no longer identify with your trade, title, line of work?

After retirement, does one resign him/herself to living vicariously through the memories?

Thank you
Sure, but not that far from retirement. I had jitters a year or so from my target date. The toughest moment was actually submitting my resignation letter. You start doubting your decisions, double / triple checking your calculations etc. If you are in management, I think one of your biggest challenges will be waking up realizing you are no longer relevant to the company. This was a big cause of depression for several friends. One of them couldn't take it and went back to work for another company. It was much easier for me, I wasn't part of management, but I do miss my co workers. I think the key is to focus on your future plans, don't dwell in the past. Get involved with friends, community, hobby groups etc. I love being retired, such a feeling of freedom.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:39 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,313,859 times
Get some hobbies outside of work now. Whether it be sports, like golf or tennis, bicycling, join a walking group, volunteer doing something you might enjoy (therapy dog), etc. Many people lack interests outside of work and can only identify with their careers. We have several doctor friends like that and they won't retire because they would have nothing to do. Get busy now and when it is time to retire you will walk out that door and not look back.

One thing I never dreamed we would do in retirement is travel via a motorhome. It's a wonderful way to see America the Beautiful and you will meet the nicest people.

Last edited by Ellwood; 12-16-2015 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 02:42 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
So, has anyone else gone through these early pre-retirement jitters? Not at all. I decidedly looked forward to it.

If so, what did you do to get over it? N/A

Who do you become after you no longer identify with your trade, title, line of work? I didn't "become." I remained who I always was and true to myself.

Does everyone go through this? Obviously not!

After retirement, does one resign him/herself to living vicariously through the memories? I didn't and don't. Retirement was the new adventure. The past was just that, filled with some delightful memories and some not so delightful. I firmly believe in an approach to life of carpe diem. But then, I almost always did. Every day is a new beginning, especially as you age.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:55 PM

13,651 posts, read 8,569,484 times
Quote:

Thank you
We handled it by creating a seamless retirement. That is, we started living on what would be retirement income a couple of years before the retirement date arrived.
So the financial issues were easy.

The rest? Yes, I worried about it, and people who knew me worried, too, since I worked a lot. Strangely, though, it was never a problem. I love being retired, when every day is a Saturday. The house we live in is my hobby, and I always have something I am learning. Presently I study Spanish. My wife reads trashy fiction (), and keeps up with all her groups of various sorts. I'm more of a loner so I really appreciate the time that she is gone.
We have traveled together and apart. We took that long train ride to Washington DC we always wanted to take, and went to Bermuda, and so forth.

No. I do not live vicariously through memories. But I have seen it happen, especially with retired military people, who sometimes do poorly after retirement.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:04 PM

5,394 posts, read 21,390,738 times
I think you have identified one of the biggest hurtles for many in retirement; changing of an ingrained lifestyle and point of view. I have known numerous people that failed to live a full life because they did not know how after work ended.

Look at and practice activities that will satisfy you outside of work. Try to associate with people that have a full life outside of the workplace. Talk to people about it.

You have taken the first step.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:24 PM

547 posts, read 388,214 times
I'm 56 and retiring in two years and it is not going by "like that"

Old 12-16-2015, 03:56 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,446,805 times
I definitely do not live vicariously through the memories of my career and former work.

Just the opposite - I try never to think about it, and I am pretty successful with almost never thinking of it.

If my former career and work pop into my mind, I banish it quickly and think about other things.

I always had a strong identity in my mind outside of work, and many interests in life. I'm happy I had my career, earned money, had marketable skills and knowledge, helped people, earned my way in life, had accomplishments.

But I have zero desire to ever think about my former career.

I'm interested in so many things in life and pursue so many interests, that my former career is one of the last things I think about.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:46 PM

10,813 posts, read 8,059,843 times
Quote:

Very mild case, and only for a few months before retiring.

I kept an ongoing mental "list" of projects and activities to tackle as soon as I retired. Never got around to most of them. When I retired I found I had enough to fill my day without looking for more.

Have you ever taken a vacation and gone somewhere where people don't know or care what your trade or title is? Whoever you became for those few days is who you'll become during retirement.

Nope.
No way! I loved my career and the people I worked with. I enjoyed going to work every day. I stay in touch with many of them, have lunch occasionally and keep up with the current happenings in their lives via facebook. But I never ever even reminisce, much less dwell on those days or live vicariously through them. My present - retired 4 years now - is every bit as rich and rewarding as were my working days.
My responses in blue.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:55 PM

897 posts, read 1,521,153 times
I am done next Tuesday after 34 years and surviving 2 corporate take overs. I will take 6 weeks off and start looking from there for consulting gigs etc. Still want to be in the game at 62. I will check back in a couple of months but I think I will be OK. My wife will be another story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement