U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 PM

254 posts, read 475,644 times

Advertisements

I like film noir, the silents, pre-code movies of the 20s and 30s, golden age of Hollywood films of the 40s, who done its, brit series like Poirot, Miss Marple, Inspector Morse, etc. A few years ago I started to watch Foreign Films that won Best Foreign Film. Sometimes I pick a certain actor, like Sidney Greenstreet, and watch everything that actor did. Quite interesting. The b est part? Many can be seen for FREE on youtube! I don't pay for cable or any subscription service and have plenty to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 06:03 PM

1,635 posts, read 563,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Speaking only for myself, of course, I will check out Rotten Tomatoes if I see a preview that I think I might like, but am not sure about. Reading a variety of reviews will usually tell me whether or not I should take a chance.

I do that too, and also I head over to Amazon to see the reviews there. If what I read still looks like it's a possibility (a plus for the Amazon reviews is that they're always more detailed and extensive than on Rotten Tomatoes) I will log on to my County's public library system, do a search for the movie, and request that it be sent to my 'home' library. We have more than 200 libraries in the system and so the odds are good that if it's ever been put onto a DVD or blu-ray, one or more of the libraries will have it and send it over. Same thing for "test-driving" tv series that I never watched while they were running. For instance I never watched Lost but have been thinking of giving it a try.

I also have a running list of current in-theatre movies to watch for the DVD release so that I can request it at my own library ahead of that date. I usually get to see it within a week or the DVD release date if I put in the request as soon as that date is announced. My current "to request on DVD" list includes Mary Poppins Returns, Can You Ever Forgive Me, The Old Man and the Gun, First Man, Ralph Breaks the Internet (yes I like good animation, so shoot me, LOL), Vice, The Favourite, Mary Queen of Scots, Green Book, Welcome to Marwen, and On the Basis of Sex.

Oh, I just remembered an Australian tv series that I enjoyed: it's called 800 Words. But an annoying facet of the DVD releases is that they do them a half-season at a time. Thus the first DVD is Season ONe, Part 1; the second DVD, months later, is Season One, Part 2; the third, the following year, is Season Two, Part 1, and so on. If the DVDs were not so expensive ($30+ each) I'd add them to my collection but not at 60 bucks per full season.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:09 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,948 times
I love TCM and watch it like religion. Also some favorites pop up on various cable channels. I see films advertised in theaters that I want to see but they are showing one minute, gone the next. It is hard to keep up.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:27 AM

2,905 posts, read 1,585,473 times
I'm a pretty hard core cinephile, I watch anything that's smart, entertaining, suspenseful, intelligent from any country. I draw the line at horror & all the current super-hero, super-special-effects blockbusters. I have about 8 film apps on my Roku + others that show with ads.

Favorites you ask?
2001 (any Kubrick really); The Searchers; any Coen Bros; Vertigo; any Billy WIlder until late 1960's; British "kitchen sink" dramas mid-1960's; any Danny Boyle; I recently discovered "Solaris" by Tarkovsky; Werner Herzog...

Old 01-24-2019, 02:55 PM

40 posts, read 16,846 times
I like westerns more than I use too, crime and drama. I've been watching movies on TMC a lot!

The Big Sleep
Maltese Falcon
The Roaring Twenties (w/James Cagney)
Casablanca
I guess anything with Bogart in it.
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Unforgiven
Once Upon a time in the West
The Godfather I And II (will stop and watch it anytime I'm channel surfing)
Man on Fire

Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
As troll-ish as it sounds, I actually like Brokeback Mountain. I was 19 when it came out, and it was criticized as the "gay movie." It's a good film in its own right.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:40 PM

6,559 posts, read 3,659,218 times
There was an interesting HBO short-lived series called The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency that is available on DVD. It takes place in Botswana with local customs and scenery and some familiar as well as third world crimes.

I enjoy some foreign detective stories like Beck, Van Veeteren, or Commssario Brunetti -- but these have subtitles in English.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:15 AM

1,318 posts, read 834,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There was an interesting HBO short-lived series called The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency that is available on DVD. It takes place in Botswana with local customs and scenery and some familiar as well as third world crimes.

Have you watched the Death in Paradise series (available on Netflix)? What about Silent Witness about forensic pathology?

Old 01-25-2019, 09:16 AM

2,905 posts, read 1,585,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Have you watched the Death in Paradise series (available on Netflix)? What about Silent Witness about forensic pathology?
If we are veering off into enjoyable TV series now, & why not - since I think we are experiencing the beginning of a golden age of thoughtful adult tv series that can't be made into films because most of the actors are over 40yo & the characters complex. In the last 2 years I have become a big fan of Brit & Scandinavian series, mostly crime dramas.

The best so far to me: Broadchurch; The Fall; Luther; Wallander (Swed. version); The Bridge (Bron/Broen); The Crown; Happy Valley. I also watched Downton Abbey for the first time & enjoyed it (tho the last season seemed to run out of petrol).

So my theory is the current moviegoing generation has been raised on video games & American tv series & see films from that reference point: action & simple, immediate payoffs, obvious good & evil. Those of us older come from a background of books & movies based on characterization epitomized in the 1970's conflicted protagonists. So 2 types of "movies" & ours are predominantly streaming now & increasingly as interesting series.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:48 AM

4,662 posts, read 3,241,188 times
Talkies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or