U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 07:51 AM

688 posts, read 865,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I wasn't recommending 'Swimming Pool' because Charlotte Rampling happens to be currently 68 or 69. (tho, around 56 when she made the film) She is a favorite of many people, and has been throughout her career. She has a strong following because of her many attributes including interesting acting.

I was recommending 'Swimming Pool' because it's an excellent film and a classic suspense film.

I also wasn't making suggestions for just one or two posters/readers.

charlotte rampling played an older lawyer, almost a recluse, in Netflix's "broadchurch", which I liked and found to be compelling, as the series progressed. I also liked "the fall" on Netflix, centering on the mind of a serial killer. both series are well done, better than average acting, but crime is the major component in both. however, I like "law and order" and "law and order-criminal intent" reruns.

I like many of the series on pbs- "Downton Abbey", "inspector lewis, " Doctor Blake", Last tango in Halifax", 'George Gently", DCI Banks", "Lark Rise to Candleford", and many of the English novels- "Bleak House" "Sense and Sensibility, as well as some of those done 20+ years ago- "Our Mutual Friend", " Middlemarch", "Mill on the Floss", etc.

I don't care for most recent films except for a few- the "Best Marigold Hotel" and sequel (not as much). I can't really think of any more I've really loved.

usually between books and PBS, I do o.k.

catsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 07:51 AM

7,119 posts, read 8,167,139 times
We watch no TV. More than a decade ago, we got sick of all the advertising (just as we're doing now with the internet...) and just plain found it boring. But we do enjoy old movies. In my case, I like 'em really old! As in, pre WW2...mid-40s and older. Love the musicals (Broadway Melody series, anything with Fred Astaire, Will Rogers, Bing Crosby, etc etc). Whew...what an old coot I am!

Old 12-17-2015, 08:10 AM

4,689 posts, read 3,258,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We watch no TV. More than a decade ago, we got sick of all the advertising (just as we're doing now with the internet...) and just plain found it boring. But we do enjoy old movies. In my case, I like 'em really old! As in, pre WW2...mid-40s and older. Love the musicals (Broadway Melody series, anything with Fred Astaire, Will Rogers, Bing Crosby, etc etc). Whew...what an old coot I am!
I can't believe how many ads they manage to insert in between scenes of a TV show. There are a few shows I enjoy watching but get impatient waiting for the show to come back on. For a one hour show there must be at least 20 minutes of ads.

It's the age-old problem, stick as many ads in as possible and of course it is all about $$$$$$.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:12 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,158,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post

I like many of the series on pbs- "Downton Abbey", "inspector lewis, " Doctor Blake", Last tango in Halifax", 'George Gently", DCI Banks", "Lark Rise to Candleford", and many of the English novels- "Bleak House" "Sense and Sensibility, as well as some of those done 20+ years ago- "Our Mutual Friend", " Middlemarch", "Mill on the Floss", etc.

usually between books and PBS, I do o.k.

catsy
Same with us. In addition to your PBS series list, I want to add some of our favorites like "Call the Midwive", "Upstairs Downstairs", "Jewel in the Crown", "Foley's War", "Prime Suspect" and many if not all of their Nature, Scientific and Discovery series and documentaries like Connections, David Attenborough's Life series etc.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:29 AM

1,926 posts, read 994,079 times
the movie "The Mother" mentioned above, features Ann Reid of Last Tango in Halifax.

I liked the most recent Poldark on PBS. Hope its coming back.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:48 AM

372 posts, read 449,055 times
"Monarch of the Glen, " set in the Scottish highlands. I got the entire set for Christmas last year and have enjoyed it.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:31 AM

14,431 posts, read 7,942,539 times
We just saw Christmas In Connecticut on the big screen with popcorn and Snowcaps last night. Two weeks ago we saw It's A Wonderful Life in another beautiful fully restored old theater. They have an organist play before the movie. Watching the oldies on the big screen is magic. I can find something good to watch in all genres of film, yes even suspense, horror, and mystery. I'll never forget watching The Shining in a theater up in the Sierra Nevada mountains and thinking that Johnny was about to pop out in front of us around any turn or bend in that narrow mountain road. Fun! I have the DVD and I love watching scary movies with the shorties. We pinkie swore to never watch any of the Insidious movies without all of us together. Oh tip toe through the tulips with me. Yep that song will never be the same again. Oh yeah the new Star Wars movie is coming out on Friday. Can't wait to see it on the big IMax screen. All movies are fun, We have a great drive in not far from the house and I love bringing my dogs with. You even get a double feature there, and you can sneak in a good bottle of wine

Old 12-17-2015, 10:40 AM

4,689 posts, read 3,258,145 times
^^^^^^^ So they don't allow a less than good bottle of wine?? : )

Old 12-17-2015, 10:54 AM

181 posts, read 426,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
As a cable cutter, and a senior, I am constantly searching for movies or tv series to watch that are not all about blood and guts, cops, CIA, supernatural, zombies or death. That seems to limit a lot of choices these days. ... But I find also that certain tv shows which are well done (more of a rarity) sometimes start out good, but then always seem to spiral into darkness. I don't like dark movies, especially before I go to sleep. ... I wonder if it is just me that feels this way. Maybe I am too much of a delicate flower. I just don't feel like I want to spend so much time looking at the dark side of life. ... Movies and TV is meant to be a form of entertainment (enjoyable to watch) What are your thoughts on the subject? Is it just old age setting in? What kind of shows do you find entertaining now?
I don't feel like a senior, but at 63 I suppose I am one. My tastes in music and movies have changed over the years. I used to like slasher and horror films as a teenager. No way today. I'm not interested in sci fi, supernatural, comic book characters. Don't care for old movies (most things pre 1960).

I do like movies that are uplifting, but they're getting harder to find. Good drama is getting harder to find. I like spy movies and cop shows (Law & Order, Homicide) because they seem to be the best written, best acted and best produced. But I can't watch Criminal Minds because it's too explicit and too disturbing. Can't think of five movies that came out in the last 15 years that made a good impression on me.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:07 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,220,328 times
Enjoy movies that make you laugh,smile and feel good and maybe a tear or two. Fried Green Tomatoes,Driving Miss Daisy, Steel Magnolias, Beaches. All holiday movies. TV shows from 50-70s. That's what older folks are into as we have seen all the violence we care to in real life. Now it's just feel good movies to relax with. Used to like SNL but don't watch as its not funny anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or