U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:15 AM

1,183 posts, read 762,904 times

Advertisements

i'm big into british shows

foyle's war
inspector lewis
(murder mysteries but british so it's tastefully done )
doctor blake (aussie)
dr who
sherlock
doc martin
detectorists (on acorn)
last tango
call the midwife, etc., etc. most mentioned already

i have a hard time finding any movies that interest me, there seems to be a lack of story, just a lot of CGI and explosions. yeah, i'm a grumpy old lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,194,190 times
there is a French series called Les Revanants that is really good.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:19 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,726,067 times
Many of you have made some great suggestions that I have seen and agree with.

Cheers (especially with Shelly Long) She was magic with Ted Danson

African Queen, a terrific classic which stands the test of time

My Cousin Vinny, a really funny and enjoyable film

Catsy Girl, Your tastes run similar to mine and you mentioned one of my all time favorites, Sense & Sensibilty. (I bet you loved the book "The Help" if you read it. It was marvelous on audio book which I downloaded from the library.) Never saw the movie, but can't imagine it could compare to the book.
[
B]luv my dayton[/b]: Your recommended list of Driving Miss Daisey, Steel Magnolias, Beaches and Fried Green Tomatoes was right on.

Others were mentioned that I have not watched, but may check out now. My son really liked the Vikings as well, and said it was very well done. He said if I could take the violence, I would like it.

There are two others that I should mention that I put up there with the "greats" I urge anyone who hasn't seen them to watch them.

"The World According to Garp" with Robin Williams
and
"Notting Hill", with Hugh Grant and Juia Roberts. Brillient and funny writting and performances.

Both of these movies I have watched multiple times.

My taste in film has certainly drifted to British origin. Of course, I have always enjoyed period films, which often times come from across the seas. I find the writing much better, the actors more real and definitely more talented. (Not to say that America doesn't have a few gems of their own)

Last edited by modhatter; 12-17-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 12:47 PM

1,183 posts, read 762,904 times
"in the loop" with peter capaldi as malcolm tucker. it's got some language and is fast paced but l thought the movie was hilarious, YMMV.

i think it's based off of the series "in the thick of it" (or the other way round, not sure).

Old 12-17-2015, 01:50 PM

825 posts, read 565,545 times
Every production I've seen by Shakepeare's Globe in London has been fantastic. My lifetime standout favorite has to be Mark Rylance in "Twelfth Night," but there are so many other excellent productions. Henry IV Parts 1 and 2 and Henry V with Jamie Parker as Prince Hal and Roger Allam as Falstaff are particularly amazing.

All these Globe productions are available free for streaming from my public library system.

I also hugely enjoyed the BBC's "Hollow Crown" series from a few years back: Richard II, Henry IV, Parts 1 and 2, and Henry V. All the plays were extremely well presented. Next year, the BBC will be presenting a new "Hollow Crown" series consisting of Henry VI, Parts 1, 2, and 3, and Richard III. I cannot wait.

I also never miss an NT Live presentation at my local cinema. It's not really live for us in the States, but prerecorded. Just recently, I saw David Hare's "Skylight" with Bill Nighy and Carey Mulligan. My favorite NT Live presentation of recent years was the Donmar Warehouse production of "Coriolanus." The movie version with Ralph Fiennes and Vanessa Redgrave is also very, very good.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:55 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,250,875 times
I don't have any particular movie to recommend. I've seen some I loved and I've seen some I hated. I've gone to plays, concerts, things like that.

I have found over the years I prefer to attend these alone. I feel free to feel whatever emotion pops up, and not have to worry about disturbing someone sitting next to me.

When I'm by myself, I think I get the full thrust of what I am watching/listening to.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:16 PM

9 posts, read 7,382 times
Nobody mentioned William and Mary!!!! Loved, loved, loved it. Undertaker meets midwife on a dating
site, and..............................

Old 12-17-2015, 04:03 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Newer creative renditions of Shakespeare.

MacBeth directed by Justin Kurzel 2015. Spellbinding and a deeper, fuller look into the classic.

Macbeth (2015) - IMDb

2015 Hamlet (Benedict Cumberbatch - The Imitation Game), National Theatre: www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxraXR_tfSA
I'd like to add that one reason retirement is great is because there's so much time to immerse ourselves in literary pursuits (and films made from great literature). I never had time for "deep" pursuits when working; I'd come home from work often late, and watch a fluff thing rather than anything that required me to think. I've recently joined a Shakespeare group and am amazed I've gotten to this stage in life not having read his works (I knew the Shakespeare dramas only from watching the great operas like Verdi's Otello, etc). To be able to actually study something brings me back to college days, but then I was involved in art and not scholarly stuff. It's pure pleasure to be able go to an afternoon National Theater performance of a film, alone or with a friend, and think about what I've just seen and look up more information about it. There's some film studies classes I could audit at local colleges too.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:58 PM

3,931 posts, read 4,705,308 times
One little known gem is Jane the Virgin...it's not for everyone, but I just love it...hilarious and well-written! I do watch Doc Martin also. Modern Family...used to like it early on, before it became more popular. By the time it became more popular, I was over it! Once I was over it, I couldn't stand to watch it. Big Bang Theory used to be really great! I still watch it, but it's suffering from the decline most good shows have after a few seasons. Some of my favorites are PBS: Nature, Nova, various documentaries. I watch 3 of the PBS channels fairly frequently. They had a good documentary, The Pilgrims, around Thanksgiving. For me, it doesn't have to be funny or uplifting, but it helps if I find it interesting.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:41 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,726,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddledeedee View Post
Nobody mentioned William and Mary!!!! Loved, loved, loved it. Undertaker meets midwife on a dating
site, and..............................

Well I love, love, love Martin Clunes. Checked on Amazon and they have the box set (3 seasons) for $27.99.
But then I decided to check Acorn TV, and they have it listed. I have been considering joining this for $49.99 for a one year membership, which makes more sense than ordering box set, as there will be other's on there I would probably enjoy.

He's a big lover of horses and animals. Saw him on a late night talk show once. Seems like a very sweet man. Now there's someone who didn't make it to the big screen based on his looks. But he becomes so much more appealing as you watch him with his marvelous talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or