U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:58 PM

18,110 posts, read 22,978,628 times

Advertisements

You'd probably also like Hugh Grant in The Englishman who went up a hill, but came down a mountain." Fun Irish movie.

Also, "Waking Ned Divine" is hilarious. I love quirky Irish movies, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:08 PM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,227,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
"Monarch of the Glen, " set in the Scottish highlands. I got the entire set for Christmas last year and have enjoyed it.
We have been watching it on Netflix. My wife described it as a pleasant way to spend some TV watching time in an afternoon. We have been working our way through the Midsomer Murders (I think we are on episode 85). Saturday night is pop some popcorn and crank up Netflix and see what is up next in Midsomer (except for when there is a college football game on that I want to see).

We also watch Foyle's War and every once in a while for an odd change of pace, Lilyhammer. My wife has recently started watching the Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:24 AM

1,766 posts, read 2,084,322 times
We enjoyed "Finding Neverland" last night on Netflix. Hope to sell DW on the cable cut soon. We have Amazon Prime as well.
I mostly defer to someone else's choice and although a good movies, I have been in a room with "Blind Side" and "Steel Magnolias" way too many times!

Last edited by wordsmith680; 12-18-2015 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: having browser issues.....

Old 12-18-2015, 09:37 AM

10,818 posts, read 8,067,156 times
I'm an outlier in this thread. I loved Breaking Bad, as well as Sons of Anarchy, and my favorite current shows include The Leftovers, The Walking Dead, Once Upon a Time, and Game of Thrones.
Most of these I didn't watch while they ran on TV, but waited until a season was over and then binge-watched them on my laptop or tablet. But The Leftovers and The Walking Dead have such cliffhangers that I've lately watched them on the widescreen TV.
Many of the other shows I watch are Netflix or Amazon exclusives, I especially like the comedies Unbreakable and Catastrophe.

I'm generally not a fan of any TV drama that features women in their 40s wearing skin-tight pencil skirts, low cut blouses, and stripper heels in an office or professional environment.

Re movies, if it's a Coen brothers, Quentin Tarantino, or Terence Malick flick, then I'm all in. Also Woody Allen and David Russell, to a lesser degree.

I like indies and foreign films too.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 12-18-2015 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 09:39 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,272,089 times
I don't want to watch the same movies over and over. I want to see something new! So I search on Netflix and usually find something that holds my interest. Or I will look for stand up comics and that makes for an enjoyable viewing!

Old 12-18-2015, 10:07 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,108,697 times
a good one
13 Conversations About One Thing Movie Review (2002) | Roger Ebert

Old 12-18-2015, 10:17 AM

13,923 posts, read 7,416,674 times
I buy all the new releases on Blu Ray. I doubt I'll ever stop watching new release movies and sports as the dominant part of my video entertainment. I haven't watched a prime time TV show with commercials in many years. I'll occasionally stream a TV series commercial-free but there aren't many that are well enough written or acted to hold my attention.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:57 AM

1,562 posts, read 777,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm an outlier in this thread. I loved Breaking Bad, as well as Sons of Anarchy, and my favorite current shows include The Leftovers, The Walking Dead, Once Upon a Time, and Game of Thrones.
Most of these I didn't watch while they ran on TV, but waited until a season was over and then binge-watched them on my laptop or tablet. But The Leftovers and The Walking Dead have such cliffhangers that I've lately watched them on the widescreen TV.
Many of the other shows I watch are Netflix or Amazon exclusives, I especially like the comedies Unbreakable and Catastrophe.

I'm generally not a fan of any TV drama that features women in their 40s wearing skin-tight pencil skirts, low cut blouses, and stripper heels in an office or professional environment.

Re movies, if it's a Coen brothers, Quentin Tarantino, or Terence Malick flick, then I'm all in. Also Woody Allen and David Russell, to a lesser degree.

I like indies and foreign films too.
I have the same taste and also like Peaky Blinders, The Knick, Better Call Saul, and Lilyhammer. For an older gem, Dead Like Me. Endeavor (Inspector Morse Prequel) and Whitechapel are also very good. And What we do in the Shadows and Crimson Rivers.

Modhatter, have you tried Curb Your Enthusiasm? People seem to either love it or hate it, hub and I think it's hilarious. It might be worth a try for you. Also, a show called Suburgatory. It is sort of silly and I should hate it, but I really like it. Also, Ugly Betty (old series) is very good. For movies, My Afternoons with Margueritte, Under the Tuscan Sun, Midnight in Paris, Moonstruck, As good as it gets, Sideways, Waitress, Green Card, While you were sleeping, The Birdcage, Bend it like Beckham, Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, Someone Like You, Penelope, Overboard, Hugo, and The Untouchables (French), Hector and the Search for Happiness.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:30 PM

825 posts, read 565,308 times
I really enjoyed Endeavour (the pilot and first 2 series). Roger Allam is such a good actor. The third series starts two weeks from Sunday on ITV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSP5iXXF-9U

Old 12-18-2015, 02:25 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,258,366 times
Not retired, but in my 50s with college aged kids.

At the risk of sounding like an "old fogy" (where did that come from?) I have very little use for movies in which the central characters are all millennials, and the peripheral characters are all my age or better. Unless the humor or drama is so good, and the writing is superb, I find them hard to get into.

These are not really movies but I really loved "Madmen" - and pretty much anything set in the 50s 60s or 70s. Great acting, costumes and set design. "Don Draper" was also easy on the eyes. Their daughter Sally was around my age and it was interesting to watch her responses to current events and cultural phenomena.

I've found a new series on Netflix called "Getting On" a darkly funny series about life in a convalescent home. Unless you are 98, you will identify with the younger characters.

I enjoyed "Boardwalk Empire" immensely. I do enjoy period pieces.

Movies that combine older and younger actresses are a hit with my daughter and I. "The Devil Wears Prada", "Julia & Julie" - both with Meryl Streep, paired with a younger actress. Ann Hathaway in the first.

Well written series that I enjoy are "Criminal Minds" and "American Horror Story". I love Jessica Lang.

Silly comedies, zombies, vampires (unless done well) and youth market movies - I swear they have a "feel" to them, are really a turn off.

ETA - I miss Robin Williams. I loved his dramatic acting. What a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or