U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:41 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,728,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
CatTX[/b];42327565]I have the same taste and also like Peaky Blinders, The Knick, Better Call Saul, and Lilyhammer. For an older gem, Dead Like Me. Endeavor (Inspector Morse Prequel) and Whitechapel are also very good. And What we do in the Shadows and Crimson Rivers.

Modhatter, have you tried Curb Your Enthusiasm? People seem to either love it or hate it, hub and I think it's hilarious. .
Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of my favorite and was on my recommended list. I think Larry David is a genius. I'm also a fan of Woody Allen. (Anne Hall)

I have also watched a number of your recommended. Thank you. I agree Breaking Bad was good and very well done. Thought the kid (Jesse) in it was a wonderful actor. Others like Game of Thrones (Peter Dinklage) etc. are well done, but just not my cup of tea I guess. Also think Better Call Saul is well done. So is Fargo, but alas bloody.

biscuitmom: I did very much enjoy Unbreakable and Catastrophe. It was also on my list. Laura Dern did a terrific job in Unbreakable.

NoMoreSnowForMe: I did see that movie with Hugh Grant about the mountain, and enjoyed it.
Did not see Waking Ned Devine, but watched a trailer on your recommendation and have it on my watch list now.

Creepy: 13 Conversations looks very interesting. I am going to have to check that one out. Looks like something I might like.

Just came across an older show that I think was terrific, called "SOAP". The guy who plays Bert was great. (especially when he thought he could make himself invisible) The dummy was a hoot too.

Last edited by modhatter; 12-18-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 05:05 PM

104 posts, read 47,862 times
Firefly. Only 13 episodes before Fox cancelled it. It had such a following however that a movie followed. Serenity.

TU

Old 12-19-2015, 08:00 PM

13,297 posts, read 6,362,704 times
I saw The woman in Gold recently and I quite like it.
Woman in Gold (2015) - IMDb

Old 12-19-2015, 08:25 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,458,283 times
I love the movie Gods and Monsters. I've seen it many times and never tire of it.
Gods and Monsters (1998) - IMDb

Old 12-19-2015, 08:40 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,728,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I love the movie Gods and Monsters. I've seen it many times and never tire of it.
Gods and Monsters (1998) - IMDb
I saw that move as well and enjoyed it also. The fella who played the gardener (Brenden Fraser) was certainly sexy and Ian McKellen did a great job. Some humorous lines I recall.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:42 PM

1,926 posts, read 993,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I saw The woman in Gold recently and I quite like it.
Woman in Gold (2015) - IMDb

I just watched this. I love Klimt and Helen Mirren was excellent as always.

Have you seen Philomena with Judi Dench?

Hope I spelled all those names correctly

Old 12-19-2015, 10:37 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,458,283 times
Tonight, I stumbled upon a movie about two male retirees who are friends and decide to travel to Iceland together to experience something new....on Starz channel....so it takes place in Iceland.

It has a strong comedic side, but also has a lot of good insights. It's pretty interesting.

Land Ho! (2014)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3283556/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Last edited by matisse12; 12-19-2015 at 11:10 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 12:41 AM

39,567 posts, read 47,812,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That's why I like the oldies on channels like METV, GETTV, ANTTV, and the like. They have sitcoms like "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "The Bob Newhart Show" and so forth. They are fun to watch again and you don't need cable. Recently, Get TV has been showing old "Danny Kaye" and "Merv Griffin" reruns I find them fascinating.
This is our choice of TV these days. Aah the good ol' days.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:54 AM

676 posts, read 1,329,614 times
I love movies/TV with older characters. Lots of my favorites in this thread, but no one has mentioned "Wallender." I do not have cable, so I watch with Netflix or Amazon Prime. Netflix carries two versions of "Wallender"--a British one with Kenneth Branagh playing the aging, small town police detective. That's a very good show, but my favorite is the Swedish version with Krister Henririksson, a very subtle, but excellent actor.

Both versions are available for streaming on Netflix.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:58 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,756,785 times
My tastes in film have not changed with age. I have always enjoyed film as art. A good movie is a good movie regardless of the age of the viewer (beyond teenagers, of course). I like foreign films, but there are plenty of superb American films as well, and not all the popular ones are bad just because they are popular. For example, "Blue Jasmine" was a remarkable work of art on multiple levels and "Nebraska" was a wonderful comedy with some deeper pathos.

A new Jordanian film in Arabic with English sub-titles, "Theeb", out only a month or so, was excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or