U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 01:20 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,313,958 times

Advertisements

I enjoy almost every well made movie genre except horror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 02:20 PM

7,670 posts, read 4,712,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Period films.

Plus every time they come on I watch:

Dr. Zhivago
Sound of Music
South Pacific
Pride and Prejudice
Gone With the Wind

Are you referring to the Laurence Olivier/Greer Garson version?

Old 01-22-2019, 02:33 PM

563 posts, read 266,801 times
We like the older TV shows and movies. There is Very little currently on TV that we watch. As far as new movies go, it's pretty rare to find a good one. IMHO I think all the great talent has either died or is no longer working, that includes acting, writing, directing and producing. It seems like all Hollywood can do now is reboots which they ruin trying to make them PC. Again, this is just my opinion.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM

1,652 posts, read 569,044 times
Great thread; I now have a list of 11 new things to check into. :-)

I'm one of those dinosaurs who still buy DVDs and blu-ray because I'm not into streaming video or mobile devices. If I like something I want to own a physical copy of it. So I've basically got a 4x8 wall that is floor to ceiling DVD shelves, lol. Anyway, a few items from there that I didn't see mentioned already and that fit the OP's criteria:

Movies:

The Dish, starring Sam Neill and it's actually a true story

The Holiday, with Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet and Jack Black in a straight dramatic role that is downright charming

Music and Lyrics, starring Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore

Marilyn Hotchiss' Ballroom Dancing & Charm School (yes that's the title of the movie) with Robert Carlyle -- who I absolutely love from both the Hamish Macbeth and Once Upon a Time televison series -- as the lead.

Documentaries:

Kedi about the street cats of Istanbul. Obviously a niche film for cat lovers, lol

Martin Clunes' Islands of Australia.

TV series:

The Newsroom (the Adam Sorkin series, NOT the other one of the same name which is terrible)

The House of Eliott about two sisters who start up a clothing business in London in the 1920s. (BBC)

Most of my other favorite series have been mentioned already but there was a one-season wonder called Flash Forward starring Joseph Fiennes that had great (IMHO) potential. If you like time travel themes that are not sci-fi, you'll probably like this.

A little known black and white gem from the 1950s was The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Richard Greene. The complete series of 143 half-hour episodes can be had on DVD for $12 and I believe Amazon streams it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Ro...+of+robin+hood

Old 01-22-2019, 04:51 PM

6,589 posts, read 1,357,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Great thread; I now have a list of 11 new things to check into. :-)

I'm one of those dinosaurs who still buy DVDs and blu-ray because I'm not into streaming video or mobile devices. If I like something I want to own a physical copy of it. So I've basically got a 4x8 wall that is floor to ceiling DVD shelves, lol. Anyway, a few items from there that I didn't see mentioned already and that fit the OP's criteria:

Movies:

The Dish, starring Sam Neill and it's actually a true story

The Holiday, with Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet and Jack Black in a straight dramatic role that is downright charming

Music and Lyrics, starring Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore

Marilyn Hotchiss' Ballroom Dancing & Charm School (yes that's the title of the movie) with Robert Carlyle -- who I absolutely love from both the Hamish Macbeth and Once Upon a Time televison series -- as the lead.

Documentaries:

Kedi about the street cats of Istanbul. Obviously a niche film for cat lovers, lol

Martin Clunes' Islands of Australia.

TV series:

The Newsroom (the Adam Sorkin series, NOT the other one of the same name which is terrible)

The House of Eliott about two sisters who start up a clothing business in London in the 1920s. (BBC)

Most of my other favorite series have been mentioned already but there was a one-season wonder called Flash Forward starring Joseph Fiennes that had great (IMHO) potential. If you like time travel themes that are not sci-fi, you'll probably like this.

A little known black and white gem from the 1950s was The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Richard Greene. The complete series of 143 half-hour episodes can be had on DVD for $12 and I believe Amazon streams it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Ro...+of+robin+hood
I definitely liked "The Holiday", "Music and Lyrics" and "Newsroom", so I will have to check out what else you recommended.

If you liked "Ballroom Dancing", you might also like "Strictly Ballroom" (an Australian film) and/or "Shall We Dance?", the original Japanese version and/or the U.S. one with Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, and Jennifer Lopez (all the cast was great, but especially Sarandon, I thought).

Old 01-22-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
If you liked "Ballroom Dancing", you might also like "Strictly Ballroom" (an Australian film) and/or "Shall We Dance?", the original Japanese version and/or the U.S. one with Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, and Jennifer Lopez (all the cast was great, but especially Sarandon, I thought).
I confess the reason I originally bought that one was because of Robert Carlyle, LOL. It's a romantic comedy and the dancing part of it is basically to give certain of the characters a means to interact within the class. From the DVD blurb, Carlyle's character is

"a grieving widower who's convinced he'll never know happiness again. But everything changes when he stops to help Steve Mills, a stranger who's been injured in a car wreck. Determined to fulfill the dying man's last wish, he races to a dance school hoping to keep a date with Steve's long-lost love..."

Other cast members include Mary Steenburgen as the instructor (the Marilyn Hotchkiss part of the film's title), Marisa Tomei, Sean Astin, Donnie Wahlberg and Camryn Manheim.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:37 PM

8,201 posts, read 11,915,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I watched The Last Laugh last night on Netflix and really enjoyed it. I never realized that Chevy Chase was so tall or is it that Richard Dreyfuss is so short. Kate Wilson's review says:

Read the entire review here.
LOL, how long did you have to search to find a positive review of that movie? It has a "rotten" score of 55 on Rotten Tomatoes, and a downright abysmal 31 on Metacritic. Here are a few samples:

Would that there was a first laugh. - Hollywood Reporter

The picture’s single saving grace is Chase’s co-star Dreyfuss, who deploys all of his considerable charisma. He shines, but not brightly enough to bring this moribund project to life. - NY Times

That's not to say The Last Laugh is a flat-out terrible movie, necessarily. It's just a tame, unimaginative one -- a low-budget cinematic shrug that has nothing new to offer. - New Orleans Times-Picayune

An exceedingly mild affair, The Last Laugh relies mightily on Dreyfuss’ warm charm to keep the journey rolling. - LA Times

Notwithstanding the terrible reviews, I actually watched the movie myself because I've always loved Richard Dreyfus, and he is definitely the best part of the movie. I didn't think it was as bad as some of the worst reviews, but I don't think I could recommend it to others unless you were bored and had nothing better to do. If I had to sum up my feelings about the movie in one word, it would be meh. (If you can call that a word.)

Old 01-22-2019, 07:58 PM

676 posts, read 1,328,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL, how long did you have to search to find a positive review of that movie? It has a "rotten" score of 55 on Rotten Tomatoes, and a downright abysmal 31 on Metacritic. Here are a few samples:

Would that there was a first laugh. - Hollywood Reporter

The picture’s single saving grace is Chase’s co-star Dreyfuss, who deploys all of his considerable charisma. He shines, but not brightly enough to bring this moribund project to life. - NY Times

That's not to say The Last Laugh is a flat-out terrible movie, necessarily. It's just a tame, unimaginative one -- a low-budget cinematic shrug that has nothing new to offer. - New Orleans Times-Picayune

An exceedingly mild affair, The Last Laugh relies mightily on Dreyfuss’ warm charm to keep the journey rolling. - LA Times

Notwithstanding the terrible reviews, I actually watched the movie myself because I've always loved Richard Dreyfus, and he is definitely the best part of the movie. I didn't think it was as bad as some of the worst reviews, but I don't think I could recommend it to others unless you were bored and had nothing better to do. If I had to sum up my feelings about the movie in one word, it would be meh. (If you can call that a word.)
I watched it too and I agree, it's not a great movie, but I enjoyed it. I seem to be drawn to movies about old folks these days.

Two (of many) movies I have really liked are Frank and Robot (2012) with Frank Langella and Susan Sarandon and Whiplash (2014) with J. K. Simmons.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 AM

One of the few movie-to-television-series that were successful (IMHO) was The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I love the movie (1947, starring Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney) and adored the tv series (1968, with Edward Mulhare and Hope Lange.)

Sadly, the tv series was never put onto a normal DVD for the American market, only for Region 4. Amazon has broken Season One and Two up into four burned-to-order DVDs each (thus 8 DVDs for the show's two seasons) and has priced each CD at $18 each.... thus $144 to acquire the show's entire run. I normally love Amazon but that is a ridiculous money grab.

I suppose I could buy the Region 4 seasons at $24 each but I really don't like to watch movies on my computer. That's what I bought the 50" OLED tv for...

Old 01-23-2019, 09:05 AM

7,670 posts, read 4,712,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Two (of many) movies I have really liked are Frank and Robot (2012) with Frank Langella and Susan Sarandon and Whiplash (2014) with J. K. Simmons.

Robot & Frank is one of my favorites, perhaps in my top ten. My number one all-time favorite movie is Nobody's Fool (Paul Newman), with The Station Agent running a close second.

Sometimes I watch movies again right after the first viewing. With Robot & Frank, on the second viewing I noticed that it's his own house he's breaking into at the beginning. More than that I will not say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or