U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:04 AM

1,322 posts, read 837,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL, how long did you have to search to find a positive review of that movie? It has a "rotten" score of 55 on Rotten Tomatoes, and a downright abysmal 31 on Metacritic.

What I linked was the most recent review (Jan. 2019). I didn't read any reviews before I watched the movie, and I enjoyed it. I liked that Dreyfus tried to make a comeback and didn't allow his illness from preventing him to do so. I liked that Chase would spend his own million to make Dreyfus's dream come true.

Why do some people have to rely on others' reviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 10:18 AM

6,609 posts, read 1,367,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post

Speaking only for myself, of course, I will check out Rotten Tomatoes if I see a preview that I think I might like, but am not sure about. Reading a variety of reviews will usually tell me whether or not I should take a chance.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:57 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,038,205 times
I watched A Man Escaped last weekend and was very impressed by it. It kept my interest all the way through. And I want to see more of Robert Bresson's films.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 AM

8,204 posts, read 11,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
What I linked was the most recent review (Jan. 2019). I didn't read any reviews before I watched the movie, and I enjoyed it. I liked that Dreyfus tried to make a comeback and didn't allow his illness from preventing him to do so. I liked that Chase would spend his own million to make Dreyfus's dream come true.

I didn't. Perhaps you missed the part where I stated that I watched the movie in spite of all the negative reviews.

Oh, and by the way, nice of you to spoil the movie for anyone who hadn't seen it yet by revealing the ending. If you must reveal pertinent details of new movies that most people haven't seen yet...

Spoiler
learn to use spoiler tags.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 AM

2,241 posts, read 556,106 times
I like independent films - the kind shown at the Sundance Film Festival.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:36 PM

7,693 posts, read 4,731,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I didn't. Perhaps you missed the part where I stated that I watched the movie in spite of all the negative reviews.

Oh, and by the way, nice of you to spoil the movie for anyone who hadn't seen it yet by revealing the ending. If you must reveal pertinent details of new movies that most people haven't seen yet...

Spoiler
learn to use spoiler tags.

Oh, you people person you!

How about a recent movie you liked? Or even a not-so-recent one? I'm always open to trying new things.

For example, I'm a big fan of Fiona Gordon and Dominique Abel's work, particularly "The Fairy". I'm sure most people in the U.S. have never heard of them.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:20 PM

446 posts, read 282,832 times
An older one I really liked is Anatomy of a Murder. Much more about what happens in the courtroom than the actual crime.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:41 PM

2,452 posts, read 3,670,532 times
Our favorite movie we watched last year was "A Man Called Ove". Sure the dialogue is all Swedish with English sub-titles, but the movie was fantastic! My wife was almost in years at the end of this story of human redemption, insight, and tenderness in unexpected people.

I saw a lot of myself in Ove, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 01-23-2019 at 04:26 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 04:03 PM

6,592 posts, read 3,677,435 times
Whenever I get in a grumpy mood I'll watch the two Marigold Hotel movies (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel; The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel). I like the actors and it is an interesting story and concept.

Most evenings, the first place I look is PBS to see what is on. If nothing interests me I might glance at the other major networks but seldom find anything. Then it's off to Hulu or YouTube where I'll settle on something. Finilly, I might resort to an audiobook.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:14 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Oh, you people person you!
Yeah, that's me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
How about a recent movie you liked? Or even a not-so-recent one? I'm always open to trying new things.
My wife and I went to see Stan & Ollie last weekend and we both enjoyed it very much. Rather than focusing on their 1930s heyday, the film is more about their friendship later in life, while centering on a live stage tour of the U.K. they undertook in 1953. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are fantastic in their roles as Oliver and Hardy.

Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2zdFwgUYBg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or