Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 05:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Newer creative renditions of Shakespeare.

MacBeth directed by Justin Kurzel 2015. Spellbinding and a deeper, fuller look into the classic.

Macbeth (2015) - IMDb

2015 Hamlet (Benedict Cumberbatch - The Imitation Game), National Theatre: www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxraXR_tfSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 06:35 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
With Netflix we are big on:

Miss Fisher's Murder mysteries
Longmire
Death in Paradise
Doc Martin
NCIS
Murdoch Mysteries
And despite its negative aspect we like House of Cards.
The West Wing if your a liberal (Mrs5150)
Mrs5150 also likes Colombo and Midsomer Murders if you like light and mildly stupid, yet entertaining and well done cop shows.

I am also big on documentaries.

Amazon Prime has some good stuff also. I find their AD series presents the New Testament in a very neutral way. Well done and historically accurate.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:35 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
I started accidentally watching a few episodes of Modern Family, and was just smitten with the characters, so I downloaded the entire 5 or 6 seasons and watched the entire thing. Hilarious. Found out Christopher Lloyd was one of the creators, no wonder I loved it.

Also downloaded the entire series of Cheers, now that was some entertainment for quite some time.

I find I am more and more finding series and movies on Amazon and watching TV less and less.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:55 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
OP, I agree with you about TV. Almost every TV show is dark - zombies, murder, terrorism, etc. I know this sounds a bit silly, but I miss the TV of the 70s and 80s - and I'm serious - like The Love Boat, Dallas, and of course shows like Mary Tyler Moore. But the 1 hour dramas back then were fun, light and yes, a bit cheesy but it was good TV I don't want to be reminded that the world is a scary place. I do like Law and Order but only the original series, with Sam Waterston. Can't stand the one where they investigae sex crimes against kids all the time.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Winged Migration
Shawshank Redemption
Secondhand Lions
Remember The Titans
The Avengers
Arthur
Sleepless In Seattle
An Affair To Remember

Old 12-16-2015, 09:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Favorite movie of all time, "The African Queen" with Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:20 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Favorite movie of all time, "The African Queen" with Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn.
^^^^^ this and Vertigo (James Stewart & Kim Novak) 1958

Old 12-16-2015, 09:29 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Recently watched My Cousin Vinny for the umpteenth time. Still get a kick out of Joe Pesci, Marisa Tomei and Fred Gwynne. Love the exchange between Pesci and Gwynne about "Yutes".

Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I agree about Breaking Bad and ....the other one you mentioned that I've already forgotten LOL. I quit watching Breaking Bad when it got too dark.

If you want to watch a fun one that's not violent, watch Alpha House on Amazon Prime. John Goodman and others are senators in Washington DC, and it's really funny.

Another one that's interesting and not really dark, is Outlander. Set in Scotland - historical. Based on a bestselling novel.

Weirdly, I really liked Dexter. It's about a serial killer, but it's also a really good crime show - solving crimes, and there are a lot of really good characters in the show. It's not all about Dexter killing people. And I found my dark side coming out when he did, because he usually killed truly despicable characters.

I also love the Good Wife. Another series I watched on Amazon Prime and also some episodes for free on PBS.org, was Indian Summers. A new series about English wealthy people living in India, from both points of view - Indian and English, with some illicit romance and tense political stuff thrown in. I highly recommend it.

Right now I'm watching Ray Donovan on Amazon Prime with a free 7 day trial of the new additional Showtime add-on you can buy. It's about a family and some violence, including criminals and law enforcement, and can be a bit violent and they use the "F" word a lot. But, the characters are so well developed it's sucked me in.

Another one that I really loved at first, that also got too dark was Sons of Anarchy.

Oh, you might also like Justified. I really liked that show, too.

If you haven't watched Vikings on Amazon Prime, I highly recommend that one, too. I did have to pay to watch the last series, I think, but was worth it. Yes, they're Vikings, so there is some violence, but I got addicted to that one, too.

The thing I don't like about older TV shows, is the canned laughter. I never could stand it, even when they were new and they were all doing it. It irritated me that they thought they had to tell me when something was funny. Glad those days are over.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:50 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times
OP, I completely agree. I find life stressful enough that I don't enjoy watching more of it on the tv in front of me. Crime, murder, family drama, violence. No thank you. Why do we strive to find a calm peaceful safe place to live, then fill our lives watching stuff like this? I find myself watching more reruns of old series (Full House anybody or Mayberry) than all this other stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement