U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 02:13 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,724,705 times

Advertisements

As a cable cutter, and a senior, I am constantly searching for movies or tv series to watch that are not all about blood and guts, cops, CIA, supernatural, zombies or death. That seems to limit a lot of choices these days. In additions to local networks like, ABC, NBC, CBS & PBS, I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Now there is plenty of selection. I just don't like most of the selection, as it seems to fall in the categories listed above or ridiculously silly sitcoms. (or god forbid, Reality TV) Now, I feel I have found most of the "jewels" available on Netflix and Amazon, and enjoy many programs from PBS. But, the direction that the movie industry has moved in over the years certainly is not to my liking. I know as far as major movies, that they make the most money out of these mega million action movies, as apparently the biggest audience for movie going are kids. So I understand that to a point.

But I find also that certain tv shows which are well done (more of a rarity) sometimes start out good, but then always seem to spiral into darkness. I don't like dark movies, especially before I go to sleep.

As an example. Breaking Bad, a great series, started out really great, with humor and drama mixed into a good story line. But as time went on, the humor was gone and it got darker and darker. Same thing happened with Mad Men. It went from very entertaining to depressing. But admittedly a very well done show.

I wonder if it is just me that feels this way. Maybe I am too much of a delicate flower. I just don't feel like I want to spend so much time looking at the dark side of life. Why does America have such an obsession with murder? It's not something that I identify with very often in my real life. When you watch foreign films they are more about real life events which I find much more interesting, than gore, shoot em up, gangs and depravity.

Movies and TV is meant to be a form of entertainment (enjoyable to watch) What are your thoughts on the subject? Is it just old age setting in? What kind of shows do you find entertaining now?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 02:49 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
I like law and order.

Movies not so much as intend to fall asleep.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:09 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
That's why I like the oldies on channels like METV, GETTV, ANTTV, and the like. They have sitcoms like "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "The Bob Newhart Show" and so forth. They are fun to watch again and you don't need cable. Recently, Get TV has been showing old "Danny Kaye" and "Merv Griffin" reruns I find them fascinating.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:23 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,450,730 times
a film 'The Mother' - I realize it is not for everyone, though, & not everyone will like it. I enjoyed it very much

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323298/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mother_(film) (put "The Mother" into wikipedia search box at the left)

The Mother Movie Review & Film Summary (2004) | Roger Ebert

Last edited by matisse12; 12-16-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 03:34 PM

a film 'Swimming Pool' stars Charlotte Rampling, a favorite actress who is older

Swimming Pool (2003) - IMDb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_Pool_(film) (put "Swimming Pool" into wikipedia search box at left)

a film 'Amour'

Amour (2012) - IMDb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amour_(2012_film) (put "Amour" into wikipedia search box at left)

Last edited by matisse12; 12-16-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 03:56 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times
Same as always, indies and foreign films. I appreciate movie starring young faces. I've no desire to revisit oldies or watch a film about alzheimers.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:37 PM

1,362 posts, read 767,627 times
There's a movie I watch every time it's on TV. It's down to the 2nd tier of cable channels, and it comes around every so often. Called "Sneakers" from 1992, it stars about a half dozen of my favorite actors & actresses -- mainly Redford, Poitier, David Straithirn, Dan Ackroyd, Mary McDonnell......I could go on. It's an espionage-spy film, but there's a little levity to the whole thing. Evidently, they all had a blast working together on the film and it shows up on screen. The Director was Philip Alden Robinson who had just finished directing Field of Dreams and was apparently give a free rein by the studio on this one.

I don't recall the movie getting a lot of attention when it was released. But it captures a period of time that seems almost "innocent" by comparison to today's world.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:42 PM

1,925 posts, read 989,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
a film 'The Mother' - I realize it is not for everyone, though, & not everyone will like it. I enjoyed it very much

The Mother (2003) - IMDb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mother_(film) (put "The Mother" into wikipedia search box at the left)

The Mother Movie Review & Film Summary (2004) | Roger Ebert

I just watched this for the first time. This is the one with a young and smarmy James Bond? I should say that I watched it 3 times before I sent it back to Netflix, and disliked a different character each time

I am enjoying movies and tv series on cds very much. I didn't watch when I was younger (work, life, living in a very rural area) so everything is new and fresh. Comes at a great time when reading is no longer as pleasant as it once was.

Howard's End is a favorite. I like books into film, even when they diverge, biographic films, and documentaries . I feel like I'm still in the game.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:27 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,724,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Same as always, indies and foreign films. I appreciate movie starring young faces. I've no desire to revisit oldies or watch a film about alzheimers.
Not really talking about movies for seniors (about alzheimers). That would be depressing as well. I'm talking about movies or TV shows that are somewhat uplifting or at least not violent, scary or dark. I enjoy drama about real life events. I like court room dramas as well, as well as a few about murder that were very well done that I have enjoyed. (The Fall and The Killing) As far as the age of the actors, that is not the point at all. It is about content, not the actors age. Though I do prefer good acting to a pretty face. America seems to place more emphasis on eye candy on screen than good acting.

Example of some shows I have found entertaining a enjoyable.

Doc Martin
Rake (Australian)
House of Cards
West Wing
The Good Wife
Last Tango in Halifax
Many Masterpiece Theater series.
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Louie
John Adams series on HBO
Catastrophe (Amazon)
Enlightened (Amazon)
The Fall (Netflix - yes about a murder)
Private Parts (Howard Stern)
The Graduate
Anne Hall
Schindler's List
Seabiscuit
The Station Agent (One of my favorite with Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_Agent

See not all geezers.

Yes, Howard's End was a great movie with great actors. (Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, Vanessa Redgrave)

Last edited by modhatter; 12-16-2015 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 05:43 PM

I wasn't recommending 'Swimming Pool' because Charlotte Rampling happens to be currently 68 or 69. (tho, around 56 when she made the film) She is a favorite of many people, and has been throughout her career. She has a strong following because of her many attributes including interesting acting.

I was recommending 'Swimming Pool' because it's an excellent film and a classic suspense film.

I also wasn't making suggestions for just one or two posters/readers.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-16-2015 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or