U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 06:49 PM

8,392 posts, read 9,136,940 times

Advertisements

Two things I see already. I am more relaxed and glad that there a boatload of stuff I will never have to do again-like deal with people's problems and visit disgusting homes. Social Worker stuff.

The other thing is that my perception of time has changed. Feels like the last five days have lasted longer than the last two weeks of work. I am glad for that. I have my theory. I am more in the moment and doing things. Not the same old daily routine with each hour and day just zipping by until Saturday arrives.

I was at this ski resort day one of my retirement.
Attached Thumbnails
Five days into retirement-observaton-dodge.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 08:45 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Two things I see already. I am more relaxed and glad that there a boatload of stuff I will never have to do again-like deal with people's problems and visit disgusting homes. Social Worker stuff.

The other thing is that my perception of time has changed. Feels like the last five days have lasted longer than the last two weeks of work. I am glad for that. I have my theory. I am more in the moment and doing things. Not the same old daily routine with each hour and day just zipping by until Saturday arrives.

I was at this ski resort day one of my retirement.
You bum!

Old 12-16-2015, 08:47 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Sounds lovely. And you deserve it.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:53 PM

1,158 posts, read 648,842 times
I have many retired friends, though, and most of them say they're too busy to get everything done now. Why do you think that is? Were we so programmed to get things done, to keep busy, keep going, that we just fill our lives with new stuff? I hope you enjoy your retirement, the ski resort looks wonderful!

Old 12-17-2015, 04:51 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,312,141 times
We have "lists" of things that need to be done. There is no time line, just stuff that we would like to do or make improvements around the house. Sometimes the lists get done, sometimes not. We are away in the winter so have a spring list. Will it get done? Who knows. Hopefully there's always tomorrow, if not, who cares.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:27 AM

10,321 posts, read 9,372,412 times
Congrats on your retirement! And what a perfect place to celebrate!

Time does 'seem' to go by faster being retired, and for me it's probably because I'm not stuck in an office constantly wondering how long it will be before quitting time.

Enjoy the new phase of your life!!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:17 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
My husband is about two and a half months into retirement and now all he does is sleep and play his computer games.

I hope this does not continue as there are many many boxes to unload from our move to retirement house, and many repairs and other things to do. And I don't want to live like this.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 AM

9,744 posts, read 7,027,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
My husband is about two and a half months into retirement and now all he does is sleep and play his computer games.

I hope this does not continue as there are many many boxes to unload from our move to retirement house, and many repairs and other things to do. And I don't want to live like this.
LOL, maybe he is thinking along the same lines as my husband did when he first retired. He piddled and potschkied around, slept late, took naps, doing essentially nothing for 8 months after he retired, which is when I retired. He explained to me, perfectly seriously, that he really needed this down time after he had worked so hard for all those years. I went along with it, insisting only that HE take care of dinners since surely he wouldn't expect me to come home, cook a meal and clean up afterwords when I was working and he was home all day doing essentially nothing. He did, mostly we went out to eat since I believe he had lost his way around the kitchen and broke all his fingers long ago when we got married ( he was a good cook before then).

It annoyed me too as the months went on as we had plans to make repairs, get rid of years of junk ( mostly his), put our house up for sale and move full time to our retirement house, because he wasn't doing much about it. Then when I retired, I said "enough of that, get BUSY", as I booted him off the couch. And then I went to work on tossing everything not nailed down out of the house. He was a little slow on the move, telling me that now he had to take things easy to adjust to MY retirement, but I was not about to buy into that.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me for you to ask your husband if this is what he intends to do for the rest of his life.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:42 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,861,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Not the same old daily routine with each hour and day just zipping by until Saturday arrives.
You'll get used to it because everyday is a Saturday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement