U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:19 AM

5,400 posts, read 6,552,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Lots of people go through some sort of "rebel phase," or "going against the man" as they grow up. Looking back, many of us view our earlier rebellious phases as a little embarrassing and misguided. As I look back, I realize I was a rebel, but don't apologize for it - rather, it's made me who I am today.

Did you have that rebellious phase? How does it look in your old age?
I never had a phase where I rebelled or was against the man. Always felt it was cutting off your nose to spite your face

Even as a small child I was independent though.

Rebellious does not equal independence.

Your hypothesis is null
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 AM

12,791 posts, read 14,120,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Our politicians today were the drug addicted hippies of the 60's with their "stick it to the man" attatude.
I really wonder about this. A category as big as "politicians" has to be a mixed bag, of course, but an awful lot of them seem to glory in their pasts as straight arrows.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:24 AM

23,685 posts, read 17,651,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I really wonder about this. A category as big as "politicians" has to be a mixed bag, of course, but an awful lot of them seem to glory in their pasts as straight arrows.
When you read up on their lives back in their 20s, and most of these folks are in their 70s now, you can't help seeing them as a rebel. Bernie Sanders is a perfect case in point.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:31 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,769,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I never had a phase where I rebelled or was against the man. Always felt it was cutting off your nose to spite your face

Even as a small child I was independent though.

Rebellious does not equal independence.

Your hypothesis is null
Excellent. I was/am the same.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:15 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,362,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Our politicians today were the drug addicted hippies of the 60's with their "stick it to the man" attatude.
I think most of today's politicians are the children of the hippie generation. The ones who were super spoiled growing up. The ones who got trophies for participating in activities instead of for winning. Too many of them have no sense of how to actually accomplish anything. They take for granted that life will always be good, not realizing they have to work to make it good.

Last edited by ansible90; 12-17-2015 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Sorry I posted this... just realized who the OP was.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:32 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,532,675 times
Not exactly a rebel phase but I went against my conservative family values. My mother's family are poor, white Southerners who are very religious and wanted their kids to marry young, have children, and not go to college. College was for "rich folks" and we were just poor working class people. My dad was more ambitious and definitely wanted my brothers to go to college and have a career but for his daughters to major in teaching or nursing and find a husband. My dad made me take Home Economics as my high school elective. My brothers were encouraged to participate in school sports and had more freedoms than my sisters and me who had to help in the home and take care of younger siblings.

My parents' attitudes, especially towards women, and favoritism towards my brothers really angered me. So I went into engineering, never got married, did not have children, and am an atheist. In the Deep South where I grew up in the 60's and 70's, I would consider this being a rebel. Other than not marrying which was more about not meeting Mr. Right and being an introvert than about rebellion, I have no regrets although I had a ten year relationship with a great guy and consider myself fortunate for that. By the time we met, we were both old bachelors set in our ways and wisely decided that we should not marry. He died of a heart attack a few years ago. No regrets at all for not having children or for my career. My older siblings, who married with traditional husband/wife roles and had children, considered me a little odd but became more accepting as times changed.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 12-17-2015 at 12:43 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 01:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,670,996 times
Yeah, I grew up as part of the Woodstock/ Easy Rider generation.
Grew my hair long and pulled it back into a ponytail. Grew a
ZZ Top beard, surfed, snow skiied and rode a chopper to work.
I worked in a Shipyard in San Pedro Calif so I could get away with it.

One day while in my late 20's I met a beautiful girl with a heart of gold who said that she wanted to see me without the disguise that I was hiding behind.
Her request caught me so off guard that after a lot of soul searching, I said , "why not ?"

I still remember walking up to her after the short hair and face shaving transformation and her looking at me with a face that looked like " why is this guy walking up to me, Do I know him ?"
Once she heard my voice, she just expoded with positive emotions and I realized that it was worth it.

One day you realize that honey can catch more flies than a flyswatter and you lose your will to fight everything that gets in your way.

After that, the quest was to grow wiser and not just older.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:24 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,587,050 times
I had a series rebel phase.

I knew everything at 15

Had to go live elsewhere

But it made me who I am today.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:54 PM

7,119 posts, read 8,172,582 times
No.

I was the oldest son in a family where my father had died at just 32. I started working at age 12, and gave my mother my earnings to buy school clothes for my brother and myself. From then on, she never spent a nickel on our school clothes -- I worked all summer every year, and after school from age 16.

I have always paid my way. I never had time to protest or rebel. Rebel against what? The financial facts of life? Instead, I learned all about the financial facts of life, and spent my time making myself worthwhile to other people. I did very well. It's been a long haul, but it's been worth every minute!

Old 12-17-2015, 03:12 PM

6,435 posts, read 4,194,424 times
I've always worked hard and stayed very dedicated to my job and my employer. My rebel phase only just started a few years ago. My employer is pushing us all to do more with less, while the bosses keep getting their bonuses and we keep hearing about promotions people in the home office are getting. Meanwhile they don't replace people in the field who retire or take other jobs.

I'm not in the financial shape I need to be in to retire right now but I just qualified for Medicare. If I had to I could quit right now, even though it would be difficult. Just doing my job and letting hem know when I am in disagreement with their direction. They can't afford to fire me, but in my own mind I keep daring them to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or