U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 07:05 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,186,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Yeah, I grew up as part of the Woodstock/ Easy Rider generation.
Grew my hair long and pulled it back into a ponytail. Grew a
ZZ Top beard, surfed, snow skiied and rode a chopper to work.
I worked in a Shipyard in San Pedro Calif so I could get away with it.

One day while in my late 20's I met a beautiful girl with a heart of gold who said that she wanted to see me without the disguise that I was hiding behind.
Her request caught me so off guard that after a lot of soul searching, I said , "why not ?"

I still remember walking up to her after the short hair and face shaving transformation and her looking at me with a face that looked like " why is this guy walking up to me, Do I know him ?"
Once she heard my voice, she just expoded with positive emotions and I realized that it was worth it.

One day you realize that honey can catch more flies than a flyswatter and you lose your will to fight everything that gets in your way.

After that, the quest was to grow wiser and not just older.
That is very sweet.

My wife did not want me to stop looking like a hippie but I would have done so for her.

I am now a little old to pull off the hippie thing but I have some of the same values. I never cared about sticking it to the "man" (who is, presumably, just another fellow doing the best he can) but I want to experience life to the fullest and on my own terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 07:29 PM

641 posts, read 409,081 times
I am actually embarrassed at how "tight-ass" goody goody I was, always tryig to do everything "right." Failed miserably. NOW, I am the rebel. I have more friends and definitely more enemies. I am loving it and finally can at least understand why the "mean grown-up kids' don't like me. And, I finally don't care [much]

Old 12-17-2015, 08:02 PM

718 posts, read 606,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
I am actually embarrassed at how "tight-ass" goody goody I was, always tryig to do everything "right." Failed miserably. NOW, I am the rebel. I have more friends and definitely more enemies. I am loving it and finally can at least understand why the "mean grown-up kids' don't like me. And, I finally don't care [much]
Why don't they like you? I think you'd be great fun to hang with.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:23 PM

1,819 posts, read 1,144,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Lots of people go through some sort of "rebel phase," or "going against the man" as they grow up. Looking back, many of us view our earlier rebellious phases as a little embarrassing and misguided. As I look back, I realize I was a rebel, but don't apologize for it - rather, it's made me who I am today.

Did you have that rebellious phase? How does it look in your old age?

I think I was a complete and total fool. Only by the grace of God am I still on this earth, by rights I should have been dead a long time ago. I think I learned a lesson, but, it came at a cost.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:25 PM

39,390 posts, read 20,469,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Our politicians today were the drug addicted hippies of the 60's with their "stick it to the man" attatude.
Bernie Sanders yep, a 60's throwback that barely worked. Hilary Clinton just became a woman in pantsuit and learned to play the game and plays it well.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:10 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,178,431 times
Yes, I was a rebel in many ways and it hasn't been too long ago I realized the benefits from it were slim to none.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:46 PM

6,685 posts, read 3,724,566 times
I can remember turning away from what was expected of me in the fifth grade. Not so much a rebel as much as my values and interests didn't mesh well with what was then "the Man" or my peers. I was just a nonconformist. I could see how things seemed out of synch with what the official story line was. Some of my peers caught up with me about 8 -10 years later. I haven't changed much 60 years on.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:07 AM

3,932 posts, read 4,717,899 times
My parents raised us to behave a certain way around others and to respect our parents. Yet, as children, there were stubborn traits also. Physical discipline was there, no doubt, it was expected among people like our family were. In my teens, I rebelled against going to church and stopped going then, for several reasons. There were also infractions at school, mainly lateness. I was never a public protester, hippie or a drug user back in the 60's/early 70's...actually I think many of my generation weren't (although later generations were for some odd reason told we all were all alike, like some kind of army of clones with no individuality). But I supported some causes back then and important changes were happening, some good, some not. I've matured, but still don't conform to all the expected characteristics of my generation. I guess I am who I am, that won't change that much.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:21 AM

12,853 posts, read 14,158,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I can remember turning away from what was expected of me in the fifth grade. Not so much a rebel as much as my values and interests didn't mesh well with what was then "the Man" or my peers. I was just a nonconformist. I could see how things seemed out of synch with what the official story line was. Some of my peers caught up with me about 8 -10 years later. I haven't changed much 60 years on.
I have a somewhat similar perspective on myself now that I am in my late seventies. At one time I would have answered, "Yes! yes! yes!" to the OP's question, but I don't think that would have been very accurate. In my junior year of college my family and I had a volcanic blow-up...one that was never resolved. I would at one time have considered that the official debut of a "rebel phase," but that's pretty much BS. I was fed up with their incredible immaturity and pettiness about everything, and I deeply resented being an unwilling companion in their very unsatisfactory marriage. But that was essentially very personal family stuff. And, to give them their due, my parents were acutely disappointed that I was clearly not going to be a child-breeding stud machine and star basketball player.

The fact is, I evolved from mid-grade school as something of a misfit...my personality, my interests, my almost everything over the course of childhood and adolescence. I wanted terribly to fit-in and to be accepted, of course; but much of me was not the everyday kid of a semi-rural 1950's small town. My freshman year in college I knocked myself out to be one of the guys, one of the crowd...and I simply couldn't hack it. Next I tried going in the opposite direction, and looked and dressed liked the "bohos" and Beats on campus, but I was never part of that scene...much too intimidated by the people in it. So, I became a puzzling, unpredictable loner.

What might have been turned into rebellion by someone else, became resentment which was directed both outward and inward. So, for the next twenty years my life would certainly look like rebellion, but it was more accurately a frequently messy series of phases based on not knowing how to resolve being me with fitting in. On the other hand, I could be a very facile type of social "con man," so people would put up with the prickly, undependable side because there was an agreeable side that was slick and willing to take chances when asked to.

There was a better resolution, and when it finally came, it was rather simple: your idea of "fitting in" and who you are are irreconcilable. Fitting in has to go.

In any case the idea of fitting in had been getting real tired as I was getting older. Probably 90% of my life was not anything shared by the people in my workaday world, and though I achieved a better fit in an "alternative" social world, there was still probably a good third of myself that found no match there. As SunGrins said above, "My values and interests didn't mesh well with what was then "the Man" or my peers."

My inability to accept this for quite awhile certainly created those proverbial "interesting times," but they weren't rebellion so much as recklessness bordering on debacle. It was, however, quite an education...and actually has often proved a useful background in later years.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:12 AM

23,787 posts, read 17,725,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Yeah, I grew up as part of the Woodstock/ Easy Rider generation.
Grew my hair long and pulled it back into a ponytail. Grew a
ZZ Top beard, surfed, snow skiied and rode a chopper to work.
I worked in a Shipyard in San Pedro Calif so I could get away with it.

One day while in my late 20's I met a beautiful girl with a heart of gold who said that she wanted to see me without the disguise that I was hiding behind.
Her request caught me so off guard that after a lot of soul searching, I said , "why not ?"

I still remember walking up to her after the short hair and face shaving transformation and her looking at me with a face that looked like " why is this guy walking up to me, Do I know him ?"
Once she heard my voice, she just expoded with positive emotions and I realized that it was worth it.

One day you realize that honey can catch more flies than a flyswatter and you lose your will to fight everything that gets in your way.

After that, the quest was to grow wiser and not just older.
I have, and remain, a lifelong metal head. I wish I could have grown my hair out significantly - it's never cooperated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or