U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 12:23 PM

2,524 posts, read 996,710 times

Advertisements

I'm focused on Indiana at the moment too, Kokomo.

I'll be watching this thread for info.

Kokomo seems low COL and safe. Anyone have anything to add about life there in general, I'll be grateful for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 02:00 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
I'm focused on Indiana at the moment too, Kokomo.

I'll be watching this thread for info.

Kokomo seems low COL and safe. Anyone have anything to add about life there in general, I'll be grateful for it.
Kokomo, like many towns in rural central IN, was dominated by the auto industry, then declined. Kokomo is in better shape than Anderson, Muncie, etc.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:02 PM

Don't tease me SC, elaborate!
Better shape how?
I need the lowest COL possible. I am poor.
Is Kokomo lower COL to those others you mention?

Any details are appreciated

Old 12-20-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Don't tease me SC, elaborate!
Better shape how?
I need the lowest COL possible. I am poor.
Is Kokomo lower COL to those others you mention?

Any details are appreciated
It's in better shape because Chrysler still has a transmission plant there, and from what I've heard from a few people at my gym who work there, it's doing well. I've also heard they have more competent local government than some of the other nearby towns.

Anderson, Muncie, and Kokomo are the three big satellite towns north of Indy. All around 50k population, with Muncie having more vibrance due to Ball State University.

I can't imagine cost of living being much different, Anderson has livable homes for 50k.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:32 PM

15 posts, read 5,670 times
If considering Indiana, take a look in the Northeast part of the state. In the Fort Wayne, Warsaw, Syracuse area, there are at least 150 lakes, with the largest being Lake Wawasee at 5000 acres. Boating, dining lakeside, fishing, camping are all available. You would also be within an hours drive of Lake Michigan. Small, friendly towns, lots of things for seniors to do at the community centers, theater, YMCA, senior clubs, activities at the libraries. 2 hours from downtown Chicago, 2 hrs from Indianapolis, and major teaching hospitals within a 2-4 hr drive, including Cleveland Clinic, University of Chicago, etc.
You do have a full 4 seasons and in winter the snow months are mainly Jan. feb. and the first 3 weeks of March. Summers are beautiful and you'll surely enjoy the colors of Fall and the blooming of Spring. Friendly people, too!

Old 12-21-2015, 04:36 AM

HA 50K. I wish. I'm looking at houses under 30K. And finding a bunch in Kokomo for that price to my amazement. I want VERY SMALL, lots I'm finding are too big for me I want 600sf like a cottage.

So is Kokomo as safe as I'm hearing? When one has to live in a poor section, safety becomes the main thing. I was looking at Cleveland for awhile until I found there are very few safe sections in my price range. I've read posts from folks saying tehre are no dangerous section in Kokomo.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
HA 50K. I wish. I'm looking at houses under 30K. And finding a bunch in Kokomo for that price to my amazement. I want VERY SMALL, lots I'm finding are too big for me I want 600sf like a cottage.

So is Kokomo as safe as I'm hearing? When one has to live in a poor section, safety becomes the main thing. I was looking at Cleveland for awhile until I found there are very few safe sections in my price range. I've read posts from folks saying tehre are no dangerous section in Kokomo.
I looked at a competitor website to city data and it said Kokomo was in the bottom 12% of cities in the US for safety. With that said, as long as you aren't running with the wrong types of people, I can't imagine it being a problem.

My girlfriend lives in Anderson and we leave the door unlocked sometimes. Never had a problem.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 AM

Those type of sites are very misleading. The tiny (25K) city I am now in has terrible crime stats and it is like freaking Mayberry.There is one "bad section" where I guess all the crime occurs, that skews the stats, but whatever crime there is here must happen in those few blocks and to the denizens thereof.

I'm hoping Kokomo is that way too?

Old 12-21-2015, 09:21 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thank you. Tennessee is still the highest on my list. I think I'm being emotional right now as Washinton is because of a dear friend retired there, Cleveland is because of Minivera, she makes it sound great, plus a high school friend lives in WV. California I so, so debatable. A dear old friend lives there & yes, it will be so wonderful to see him but it may be unrealistic. Las Vegas is because of the cost of living but, realistically, I doubt if I could take the heat.

Example: It's 18 here & it really didn't bother me because I'm dressed for winter but there is no way I can take skin off, lol.

meo

what i will interject here is this. move to where you find your heart is. If it is to be with friends that are in one location you should do that. You can find situations that will work economically in almost every location you can name. Remember if you move from a location you have lived a long time you will be essentially starting over with services (doctors, mechanics for two). Moving away or to family has to be considered as well. Western Washington state is pricey. They have higher property taxes and income tax but as many have said you should not let the wagging of the tax dog's tail be your entire guide. I loved my time in WA but I would not consider it in retirement unless my daughter moved that way. Even then I would consider states around it within a day's drive.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:29 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times
Quote:

Yikes! Considering houses under 30k? In our area 30k might get you a foundation with a burned out shell of a house that has been forclosed. It would not be habitable in any sense of the word. Even locations that have low cost housing like SC GA AL a home of that price would make we wonder what was wrong in the home or the surrounding area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or