U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:45 AM

2,524 posts, read 996,710 times

Advertisements

I know, I was astonished that I got results in a search with 30K max! I really didn't think that existed except in maybe Detroit.

Surprisingly in these Midwest states, Ohio, Missouri, Kansas and Indiana I find MANY search results under 30K.
Most are too big for me I want super low sf 700sf max.

Lots more than I expected are in good condition. NOT updated but OK condition.

In Ohio the sections they are in at that price are more dangerous. So I moved on to Missouri, Kansas and Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 10:11 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
I know, I was astonished that I got results in a search with 30K max! I really didn't think that existed except in maybe Detroit.

Surprisingly in these Midwest states, Ohio, Missouri, Kansas and Indiana I find MANY search results under 30K.
Most are too big for me I want super low sf 700sf max.

Lots more than I expected are in good condition. NOT updated but OK condition.

In Ohio the sections they are in at that price are more dangerous. So I moved on to Missouri, Kansas and Indiana.

Even still. In those states I would be leary of locations of that. To me that is a red flag. Typically I would expect to pay near 80k even for an under 1k sf home.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:18 AM

Yeah these are not in fancy sections by far. Rundown and working class. But that's all I can afford.
I got excited about Cleveland as there are a LOT of houses under 30K but after research it's too dangerous, I fear I'd be a target.

I need a section with working poor who are mostly normal peeps not criminals and I'll be more than fine with that. My days of having garden club neighbors are over.

I'm gathering info re: Kokomo. So far it sounds nothing like Cleveland as far as safety.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:55 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
Quote:
Yeah these are not in fancy sections by far. Rundown and working class. But that's all I can afford.
I got excited about Cleveland as there are a LOT of houses under 30K but after research it's too dangerous, I fear I'd be a target.

I need a section with working poor who are mostly normal peeps not criminals and I'll be more than fine with that. My days of having garden club neighbors are over.

I'm gathering info re: Kokomo. So far it sounds nothing like Cleveland as far as safety.

Not for much but have you considered a condo? You can probably find a condo in that price range even not far from where you currently live. Consider locations in Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham even. Finding a location in another state is an expense in itself. Yes it is short term but it is also difficult to recover from given some people find that the new location is just not right.

It is something I think you should consider. NC is not a bad state to be retired in. It is not the best by no means but you could do much much worse and irreperable harm if you move and are not able to adjust.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:15 AM

4,365 posts, read 3,704,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Every time I turn around I add more places!

I'm certain before I start my travels I will narrow it down but I keep adding as I hear from friends that have moved. I think I will be more comfortable living close to friends but wish they weren't so spread out!
The problem is there are many places you could live but you will not be able to find them all.
Start by listing any deal breakers. One day travel by car to where you live now, must be within 5 miles of friends etc. Hopefully you will have none.
Then chose what country you want to live in. Assume US.
Break the country into 4 or 6 sections. Maybe 3 North and 3 South. Then pick your block. I think you want to look at weather and then cost of living.

Then pick what you want in a location.
On a river, lake or ocean, isolated etc.
Type of housing, apartment, coop, over 55, mixed single occupancy etc.
Narrow the location by how close to service do you want to be - food, medical etc., public transportation, airport, Large city, suburbs, small town, college town

Then start identifying towns and locations within the towns. Use google earth. At this point posting questions should help you. For the other items they are your preferences and someone's opinion on a form should not matter as their likes may differ from you.

I would list everything you can on a spreadsheet and assign importance to them.

Where I live we have no snow or ice in the winter, take golf cart to several supermarkets, entertainment and clubs(activities), and some medical facilities. All restaurants, hospitals, doctors, malls within 10 miles. Within 1 to 2 hours airports and major medical facilities. Lots of green space.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:19 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:

Why aren't you considering places much closer to you? Is there any reason you're looking at central Indiana? You also need to remember these towns are cheap because there isn't much in the way of employment there. Anderson and Muncie have contracted substantially since their heyday - Kokomo has barely tread water and is just now showing signs of recovery. These aren't bad towns or dangerous areas, but there is going to be a lot more decay/blight than what you'd find in NC.

If you can't afford more than $30k for a house, how can you afford to move halfway across the country? You need to increase your income, work part-time, something to get out of dire poverty.

If you have a house full of things, it could cost a couple thousand just to move. My dad and I moved my stuff up here ourselves - with the cost of the truck, moving supplies, a dolly, and gas (gas was almost $4/gal then, and the truck got under ten miles to the gallon from TN to IN), it was close to $1000. That's doing all the work ourselves and I only needed a small truck.

If you need to hire help or heaven forbid need movers, you're looking into several thousand dollars. That's not counting the cost of deposits at the new place on utilities, any incidentals, etc.

It sounds like you've just seen cheap housing prices and aren't thinking this all the way through.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:35 AM

1,056 posts, read 969,492 times
OP, what's your budget for housing? Western WA and Western OR are a lot more expensive than Indiana and most of the Mid-West. Your budget alone might force you to cross WA off your list.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why aren't you considering places much closer to you? Is there any reason you're looking at central Indiana? You also need to remember these towns are cheap because there isn't much in the way of employment there. Anderson and Muncie have contracted substantially since their heyday - Kokomo has barely tread water and is just now showing signs of recovery. These aren't bad towns or dangerous areas, but there is going to be a lot more decay/blight than what you'd find in NC.

If you can't afford more than $30k for a house, how can you afford to move halfway across the country? You need to increase your income, work part-time, something to get out of dire poverty.

If you have a house full of things, it could cost a couple thousand just to move. My dad and I moved my stuff up here ourselves - with the cost of the truck, moving supplies, a dolly, and gas (gas was almost $4/gal then, and the truck got under ten miles to the gallon from TN to IN), it was close to $1000. That's doing all the work ourselves and I only needed a small truck.

If you need to hire help or heaven forbid need movers, you're looking into several thousand dollars. That's not counting the cost of deposits at the new place on utilities, any incidentals, etc.

It sounds like you've just seen cheap housing prices and aren't thinking this all the way through.

No, young grasshopper you are mistaken on all points. You must think I'm some young foolish creature who has never owned a house nor moved before.

I HATE NC and the south. I am miserable here. I came here (I have an ex-BF here who is a pal, he suggested it as a cheaper locale to where I was) after selling my big house in an upscale 'hood in VA, am in a small apt temporarily while I figure out where I'm going NEVER intended NC as anything but a wayside stop. The southern culture is killing me.
Midwest culture is more up my alley. NC is surprisingly HIGH COL compared to Indiana. Gawd knows why, this town is like redneck central and offers nothing cool to warrant the COL. (not that I want "cool", I am a hermit and don't seek outside entertainment).

I don't need employment. I may get a small part time gig like at a Dollar Store or somesuch, and want to do dog foster for a rescue (that's one reason I don't want a condo also the condo fees). I have looked into condos in FLA but the fees, the fees. And the regulations, no dog fostering there.

I don't have a houseful of things, God no. I have nothing to move except boxes of (rare hardcover) books and a twin bed. The rest (and by "rest" I mean minimum stuff, I am a severe minimalist) I shall replace from thrift stores after I move. Yes I am well aware (how old do you think I am? ) of moving costs, I've done several interstate moves in my lifetime. I'm factoring about 2K for the move, with my plane fare and hiring a driver to bring my car.

What I am calling poverty is in comparison to my former life. I shall be paying cash for the house. Many peeps would not consider me poor but I do. I'm solvent with zero debt. Widowhood changed my financial situation drastically.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 12-21-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 12:58 PM

14,260 posts, read 24,000,210 times
Quote:

$30k is not going to get you into a great neighborhood in any city. If you want a small house in Cleveland in a safe neighborhood, you would probably have to spend $60-80k.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:07 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
$30k is not going to get you into a great neighborhood in any city. If you want a small house in Cleveland in a safe neighborhood, you would probably have to spend $60-80k.
Even in places like Kokomo, it's not going to get you much that doesn't need significant repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or