U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 01:20 PM

2,524 posts, read 998,341 times

Advertisements

Yeah Cleveland had a ton of houses in scary 'hoods for that max price. Some in really good shape but dangerous areas.
Kokomo has a lot that come up in a search. Most (just online, mind you) look in OK shape but are like 1000+sf way too big for me. Not saying 1000sf is big, that was small to me when I was raising a family but I want SMALL. Always hated having a big house, did it for the kids.

I'm concentrating on this little shanty at the moment:
1922 N Indiana Ave, Kokomo, IN 46901 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

It looks like a converted garage. Heaven to me. I've always wanted to live in a studio sized space.

The 'hood looks crappy, it's right by factories, the houses around it look shabby and I looked up the tax info on the houses near around and most owe HUGE tax bills.
I do realize that living amidst working class folks there shall be that kinda stuff, unpaid taxes, loud cars, loud kids, mistreated dogs. This is the strata to which I now belong.

Again it's what I can afford, and as long as the neighbors aren't criminals I'm good. I really hope it works out. I'm in the data gathering stage on it at the moment.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 12-21-2015 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 01:21 PM

4,981 posts, read 3,470,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
OP, what's your budget for housing? Western WA and Western OR are a lot more expensive than Indiana and most of the Mid-West. Your budget alone might force you to cross WA off your list.
I've saved $6,000 for searching & moving. I receive $1,074 after Medicare from Social Security & will have a small pension from employment & have $45,000 in investments. I'm uncertain as to whether my rent here will change due to what I have in investments & savings. I pay 1/3 of my income for rent now but received the extra from a settlement for a car accident which was not my fault. We get evaluated every January so will know more after that. If it changes, the most will be to $440.

I could conceivably pay $500 for rent but do not want to go over that. I do try to donate 10% of my income every month.

I have taken Washington off the list due to the rain. I do want 4 seasons just milder than Minnesota. The reason I am planning to move is because the town I live in has absolutely nothing to offer. It's 9 miles to any store & I do not like driving in winter. It has been great to help me with healing but I found that, after the accident, I have a hard time driving. Not so much in the other 3 seasons but I tense up while driving in the winter.

Last edited by meo92953; 12-21-2015 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 01:42 PM

23,643 posts, read 17,615,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Yeah Cleveland had a ton of houses in scary 'hoods for that max price. Some in really good shape but dangerous areas.
Kokomo has a lot that come up in a search. Most (just online, mind you) look in OK shape but are like 1000+sf way too big for me. Not saying 1000sf is big, that was small to me when I was raising a family but I want SMALL. Always hated having a big house, did it for the kids.

1922 N Indiana Ave, Kokomo, IN 46901 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

It looks like a converted garage. Heaven to me. I've always wanted to live in a studio sized space.

The 'hood looks crappy, it's right by factories, the houses around it look shabby and I looked up the tax info on the houses near around and most owe HUGE tax bills.
I do realize that living amidst working class folks there shall be that kinda stuff, unpaid taxes, loud cars, loud kids, mistreated dogs. This is the strata to which I now belong.

Again it's what I can afford, and as long as the neighbors aren't criminals I'm good. I really hope it works out. I'm in the data gathering stage on it at the moment.
It looks better than I thought. Bad pictures, but promising.

I would say that's as cheap as you can probably find. Many of those homes are probably abandoned and have had property tax bills go unpaid for years. It would probably cost the city more to demolish the homes or pursue the owners legally than they would reasonably get in taxes.

If you want to move to a city that's had a rough go at it, where you don't know anyone, and live in a tiny house, more power to you.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:09 PM

2,524 posts, read 998,341 times
Jeez SC why the sarcastic "tone"?

"Know no one", um, that's how I PREFER it, I don't create a social circle by choice, anywhere I live. I'm not a friend-maker, I am a solitary hermit. I ADORE anonymity, that's the only plus being in NC where I know no one except my ex (and we don't hang, we talk maybe once a month, he's a loner too). I knew a ton of parents/families/teachers in VA due to kids' functions and hated being so well known in the neighborhood.

Tiny, yes, I am an extreme minimalist and have always owned next to nothing except books. The stuff I had in my houses was for children, not me.

A city that is rough, um again, I am poor (by my standards) and cannot afford Boston or Key West like I'd prefer.

The houses around are occupied. I don't know how they're getting away with delinquent tax bills of like 17K. Weird.
They are ill kept houses by my standards but par for the course for lower class 'hoods.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:23 PM

911 posts, read 714,347 times
Oh come on you guys!

You are all exaggerating the rain in Washington during the winter. It's not that bad.
Oh wait...almost 10 inches of rain for the month of December!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post

I thought the house was adorable.

I had a small house and finally had to declare bankruptcy after I was laid off. It still took the bank a year to foreclose on the house. A few blocks down, the neighborhood was getting rough. I don't know how it is today, but that was right when the recession started & houses in my neighborhood were getting broken into. It got so bad the whole neighborhood was scared. The bank finally foreclosed & I actually was relieved to move.

Even worse than the break-ins was when one of the men shot & killed a policeman & disappeared in the bad neighborhood. Scary night. There were dozens of police cars blocking the streets & helicopters flying, just a really scary night. Well, of course they found the guy, every available policeman joined in the search, but it took a long time & I don't think any of us got any sleep. I know I didn't.

When I finally do move, unless I end up in Fergus Falls proper, I'm going to make my brother in Tennessee check it out with me.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:57 PM

Moderator; could you please delete my reply regarding finances? It really was & is no one's business.

I wish I would quit being so naive.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:04 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,696,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I thought the house was adorable.

I had a small house and finally had to declare bankruptcy after I was laid off. It still took the bank a year to foreclose on the house. A few blocks down, the neighborhood was getting rough. I don't know how it is today, but that was right when the recession started & houses in my neighborhood were getting broken into. It got so bad the whole neighborhood was scared. The bank finally foreclosed & I actually was relieved to move.

Even worse than the break-ins was when one of the men shot & killed a policeman & disappeared in the bad neighborhood. Scary night. There were dozens of police cars blocking the streets & helicopters flying, just a really scary night. Well, of course they found the guy, every available policeman joined in the search, but it took a long time & I don't think any of us got any sleep. I know I didn't.

When I finally do move, unless I end up in Fergus Falls proper, I'm going to make my brother in Tennessee check it out with me.

That sounds like my introduction to Detroit! lol I got there between Christmas and New Years and the third night there we had that exact same scenario going on in the neighborhood. Seems a guy had got out of jail and went on a revenge spree. He tried to burn down the home of the main cop that had convicted him and it was one street over from us. Cops looking in our windows, warning us to stay inside and helicopters with search lights all over the neighborhood. I wondered what I had gotten myself into! They found the guy fairly quickly, thank goodness.

Also, wanted to tell you that I broke down and Googled Fergus Falls. You got me curious! Nice town, nice architecture and reminds me of a lot of small Midwestern towns.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:07 PM

4,983 posts, read 6,384,155 times
Quote:
Moderator; could you please delete my reply regarding finances? It really was & is no one's business.

Try alerting the Mod through the red triangle in the upper right hand corner.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:39 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,072,656 times
Quote:

You should be able to delete it yourself. Just go to the edit function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or