U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 06:21 PM

10,618 posts, read 14,406,093 times

Advertisements

I have tons of family in the area you guys are talking about. All I can say is blechhh, miserable hot in summer, cold and lotsa snow in the winter, and boring all the time! Probably doesn't help that a lot of my family lives on rural roads next to nothing but corn fields. Gardening is a big thing, as is fishing at the reservoirs, and watching basketball.
Had to laugh at the comment about rednecks in the south and preferring the midwest instead. Rednecks are everywhere and Muncie, Anderson, Kokokmo, Noblesville, etc have plenty rednecks to go around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 07:01 PM

2,524 posts, read 1,003,651 times
^^^dude I didn't say I wanted to avoid rednecks I said this town has nothing to offer but rednecks for its high (comparatively to IND) COL.

I'm down with rednecks just fine, it's the southern culture in general I loathe.

Midwest culture (My 2nd husband and a subsequent s/o were both from Michigan) is more my speed, I cannot STAND the overly sweet drawly tone of voice so common here in the south nor the clannishness.

Nor the stuck up-ness from those who have nothing to be stuck up about. I can accept snobbery from high-born educated folk but even secretaries and hairdressers act all highfalutin in this small town just because they have lived here all their dull lives. The denizens of small southern towns seem to be unduly proud of SOMEthing I cannot fathom what.

Midwesterners in my experience are more reserved, real, and plainspoken vs the too-friendly small talk BS I get so much of here. I like conservative cultures, and mind your own business types. What I know of the midwest suits me.

You're talking about rural living, I would hate that in any state. I'll be in a city, albeit a small city.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:29 AM

23,800 posts, read 17,725,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I have tons of family in the area you guys are talking about. All I can say is blechhh, miserable hot in summer, cold and lotsa snow in the winter, and boring all the time! Probably doesn't help that a lot of my family lives on rural roads next to nothing but corn fields. Gardening is a big thing, as is fishing at the reservoirs, and watching basketball.
Had to laugh at the comment about rednecks in the south and preferring the midwest instead. Rednecks are everywhere and Muncie, Anderson, Kokokmo, Noblesville, etc have plenty rednecks to go around.
I don't see eye to eye with you much, but agree with you here.

Central IN is hot and humid in the summer, but to be fair, it's probably warmer than the higher elevations back home. Last winter was cold, but not very snowy. This winter so far has been mild - we were up in the 60s yesterday and have only had one snow of an inch or so which melted in a day or two. When it snows here, it's far easier to get around than in the mountains back home. The weather here isn't noticeably different than back home (June has been cooler, winters are 5-10 degrees colder).

The rednecks comment does make me laugh - this person is in for an eyeopener. Noblesville is really the only exception, as it's basically a suburb of Indy these days.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:12 AM

2,524 posts, read 1,003,651 times
Um, SC I explained my "redneck" comment above. If you read my explanation your comment makes no sense.

I get a slightly mean spirited vibe from you. I wonder why. I haven't said that about ANYone on here until now, with you. It's subtle but icky. Almost like...scornful.

I KNOW Indiana (and the Midwest in general) is full of unsophisticated redneck types.
I have no idea whay you felt the need to comment that I'd have an "eyeopener" I never said I didn't expect (nor wished to avoid) rednecks. I kind of dig them.

Midwest culture is different to southern culture. The overall culture is to what I refer, that includes every aspect of a society.
Redneck culture is similar everywhere, even in upstate NY, where they are plentiful. It's a subset of any broader culture, NY PA MI CO any state large enough has their own version.

I'm going to ask you nicely as a favor, to please refrain from any further comments on/references to any of my posts, if you don't mind. You give me an uncomfy vibe. Please just ignore me.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 12-24-2015 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-24-2015, 08:21 AM

23,800 posts, read 17,725,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
^^^dude I didn't say I wanted to avoid rednecks I said this town has nothing to offer but rednecks for its high (comparatively to IND) COL.

I'm down with rednecks just fine, it's the southern culture in general I loathe.

Midwest culture (My 2nd husband and a subsequent s/o were both from Michigan) is more my speed, I cannot STAND the overly sweet drawly tone of voice so common here in the south nor the clannishness.

Nor the stuck up-ness from those who have nothing to be stuck up about. I can accept snobbery from high-born educated folk but even secretaries and hairdressers act all highfalutin in this small town just because they have lived here all their dull lives. The denizens of small southern towns seem to be unduly proud of SOMEthing I cannot fathom what.

Midwesterners in my experience are more reserved, real, and plainspoken vs the too-friendly small talk BS I get so much of here. I like conservative cultures, and mind your own business types. What I know of the midwest suits me.

You're talking about rural living, I would hate that in any state. I'll be in a city, albeit a small city.
You're going to not like the fact that many people that now live in Anderson, Kokomo, Muncie, and other heavy auto manufacturing towns are first or second generation descendants of Southerners. Back in the 50s-70s or so, a lot of Southerners moved to these towns to take the manufacturing jobs.

At least in Anderson, you see a lot of vestiges of Southern culture. Camo is big at the local Walmart/Meijer. You have Southern restaurants like Waffle House. Sweet tea is served most places. Muncie's south side high school is called the Rebels - their Facebook page has a Confederate flag on it. These little towns could be called "country" at best, but there are a lot of rednecks in small town Indiana. Small town Indiana really isn't going to be that much different than small town NC in terms of rednecks, rural culture, and country living.

You're going to have to realize that a place like Kokomo isn't attracting outsiders - in fact, people are leaving. I don't know if you'd be unwelcome, but people would wonder why you're there. I get that impression a lot in Anderson. Aside from a few people from out of the area that work at the Chrysler plant, I can't imagine Kokomo attracting many. Most of the people there have probably lived there most of their lives, and their families are there - same as small towns anywhere.

There's really nothing in the way of the outdoors or natural beauty in this part of Indiana - no mountains, no lakes of consequence for about an hour in any direction, etc.

Your only concern seems to be price and safety is a distant second. Unless you just have some burning desire to live in these towns, IMO there are far better places to live in Indiana than Kokomo/Anderson/Muncie. Many towns in southern IN are warmer, have better scenery, etc. Northern IN is also more scenic in the lakes region around Angola, etc.

You also need to consider that if you need a contractor, doctor, or some other service, it may be hard to find in those small towns and you'd have to go to Indy for the service or pay someone (for maintenance) to drive from Indy out.

The only way I'd recommend Anderson/Kokomo is if someone is looking for cheaper property than what you can find in the northside suburbs, works on the northside of Indy or its suburbs, and doesn't mind the commute. Anderson is at least closer to the suburban areas and shopping of Indy than Kokomo.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 AM

10,024 posts, read 16,726,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
A friend of mine moved to Shelton. Do you know anything about that town?
Shelton is a forest products dependent town at the south end of the sound. A shirt-tail relative founded the city. Frankly, were I moving to the area, it wouldn't be on my short list. Consider instead Gig Harbor or the communities across the Tacoma Narrows.

Sequim on the Olympic Peninsula is popular for retirees because it is in a rain shadow.

I lived on Bainbridge Island for many years and liked it, if you can afford it. Otherwise look at Poulsbo, Bellingham, even Everett.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:52 AM

301 posts, read 326,657 times
I don't recommend Western WA. The people are hard to make friends with, gray and rainy weather, and the traffic congestion and COL, bad now, is rapidly getting worse as high tech companies like Amazon continue to recruit, sending the population beyond what the infrastructure can handle. Besides expensive housing and high sales tax, it won't be long before the Democrats finally get their way and pass an income tax.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:14 PM

10,024 posts, read 16,726,975 times
The best way to make friends in the PNW is to participate in activities you enjoy. Before you know it you are so busy going back to work would be a relief.

I agree that N-S traffic from about Centralia to Everett is a nightmare which is why we would drive the Bremerton/Shelton/Olympia route from Bainbridge to visit family in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or