U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 02:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times

Advertisements

Interesting article with Lucas revealing Joseph Campbell, expert on mythology, as a mentor:

“Star Wars is an example of what Joseph Campbell called the Monomyth, which reaches a broader audience and is more enduring,” said Shanti Fader, editor of Parabola magazine, a publication of the Society for the Study of Myth and Tradition....

“The stories speak to something inside us that wants to know how our world lives, that wants to make order of it and find some meaning. Myths fulfill that in a way that science and facts don't always do, because science and facts don't always give us meaning....

"Campbell -- known to mass audiences through The Power of Myth, the PBS TV series based on his books -- was an expert in the construction and cultural resonance of mythology. His books Masks of God and The Hero with a Thousand Faces are considered the ultimate guides to what has enthralled the world for centuries.

"Campbell defined the Hero Cycle, a course of events that occurs as a rite of initiation in every myth, pinpointing the need for mentors, villains, elixirs and jesters along the way. Each step can be traced in the adventures of Star Wars hero Luke Skywalker....

"Before Campbell died in 1987, the scholar and Lucas became friends. A storyteller needs a mentor as much as a hero does....

“Yes, I consider him a mentor,” Lucas said at a recent New York press conference. “He was an amazing scholar and an amazing person. When I started doing Star Wars, I re-read Hero with a Thousand Faces. After Return of the Jedi, somebody gave me a tape of one of his lectures. I was just blown away by that. He was much more powerful as a speaker than he was as a writer.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 02:15 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,827,604 times
Sigh...I really wish some channel on TV would re-run those Joseph Campbell shows. They were informative and thought-provoking.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:18 PM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,227,855 times
We'll go see it after the first of the year when the kids are back in school. Local theater has a matinee on Friday at around noon for 5.50. It's nice to see something like that on the big screen and have popcorn for lunch. Gets us out of the house an extra 2 or 3 times a month, when there is something we would like to see.

Seems like a lot of grumpy people on this subject. It's not like anyone is being forced to go see it.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:52 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Sigh...I really wish some channel on TV would re-run those Joseph Campbell shows. They were informative and thought-provoking.
You can watch quite a few of JC's clips on youtube like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F7W...Kgg6hRyIKcAKhY

Quote:
Revisit the extraordinary dialogues that fired the imagination and intellect of millions a quarter-century ago. In this clip, Campbell and Moyers discuss "Star Wars" and the human need for heroes, spiritual adventure and mythology.
Here is the link to more Joseph Campbell clips here

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Kgg6hRyIKcAKhY

Enjoy.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:59 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
I was bored with the first SW movie the first time I saw it. Then I watched it again on TV and liked it. I saw the next two and that was it for me.

It's fine that people enjoy it so much. I think in these troubled times it's nice to have something that's nothing more than pure escapism so people can forget the world around them for a few hours.

So, even though I won't be seeing it, I'll still say "May the force be with you." Enjoy!

Old 12-19-2015, 03:54 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
We'll go see it after the first of the year when the kids are back in school. Local theater has a matinee on Friday at around noon for 5.50. It's nice to see something like that on the big screen and have popcorn for lunch. Gets us out of the house an extra 2 or 3 times a month, when there is something we would like to see.

Seems like a lot of grumpy people on this subject. It's not like anyone is being forced to go see it.

I keep forgetting about the matinees. I agree that people need to chill. Like it or not like - nobody else cares.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:29 PM

1,164 posts, read 650,159 times
RiverBird, I agree with you about Frozen. I found that lacking in a lot of things, surprised that it got such a following.

I do try to keep up with what's new and modern in today's world but it's really tough. We're busy and lots just seems to just zoom past us. Had to think back just why I missed SW the first time around. well, I was having babies and 1Husband was newly disabled. So. Just for my DGKids, I'm trying to keep up with as much as I can, whether I like it or not.

Not really wanting to go to the theater but maybe somebody around will have it when it comes out on DVD so we can see it. Actually, I'm a little apprehensive about the theater these days. Down our way they aren't letting people come in costumes....

Old 12-19-2015, 07:59 PM

18,110 posts, read 22,968,690 times
Saw Star Wars today in 2D. Loved it. I haven't had so much fun in years. Going back in time to a fun and happy time seeing the original Star Wars. I'm so glad they did it in the same style as the original without a bunch of CGI.

Going to go see it in 3D next week.

Too bad some of you didn't enjoy it. I wish I could share my bliss with you. I drove around after the noon matinee singing the theme song at the top of my lungs. It made my happy. I got lost in the movie for 2 hours and left singing and smiling. Can't beat that.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:17 PM

19,842 posts, read 18,867,840 times
Seen on facebook:

A picture of an elevator.

Darth Vader's rarely photographed wife, Ella Vader.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:29 PM

914 posts, read 775,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Anybody else not getting this Star-wars nonsense?
I remember 30+ years ago walking out to the theater lobby to take a break from the stuff on the screen.

I'd much rather watch a rerun of The Shawshank Redemption.

Or my all time favorite, "The Godfather series".

Rant over back to my morning nap.
I'm with you on Star Wars. I thought it was stupid and corny when it came out almost 40 years ago, and I thought Carrie Fisher was an ugly princess, and Mark Hamill was too feminine for my taste. I only liked Harrison Ford, who is probably the only unknown that Lucas could make into a huge star. LOL!

I thought the same thing about E.T. when I saw that one too, I was totally bored.

I was blown away by "Alien" though, when I first saw that back in 1979. It's still one of my all time favorites.

George Lucas got lucky, and I still don't get all the muppet creatures, and Yoda with his "Miss Piggy" voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement