U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:40 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,581,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Disney is projected to make $3 BILLION on this. BILLION with a B. That's insane.
I won't be there.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:55 AM

14,412 posts, read 7,932,198 times
Okay we saw The Force Awakens yesterday in 3D, and as a friend of ours who saw it the day before us put it, "It doesn't suck." He was totally right. It was awesome and Harrison Ford stole the show. He's still the same hunka hunka burning love he was decades ago. It was like visiting an old friend and without giving too much away I will say that the plot was very familiar. I'm glad we went and we both enjoyed every spellbinding minute of it. The fans will get it, but if you're coming in as a newbie some of the nuances will be lost. If history replaces itself the Star Wars frenzy will be with us for some time to come. Just as it was decades ago I can't wait for the next one. The popcorn was really good too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 10:34 AM

2,637 posts, read 1,547,800 times
Saw it last night. Good movie, but I was a bit disappointed in that there was nothing new or original about it.

Seeing the old characters was both the best thing about it, and the worst. The plot was a repeat of the old plot about a big deathstar thingie destroying a planet, and the resistance fighters blowing it up the same way as before. The only difference was that the new deathstar and the new badguy emperor were both bigger and uglier. They could'nt have come up with something else? There was so many scenes that were ripoffs of old scenes that I lost count (if this is no longer "The Empire" why did all the soldiers have the same black and white uniform?). The fact that it was still a good movie was only because it moved on the coattails of the original three flicks.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:54 AM

19,931 posts, read 14,245,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Good movie, but I was a bit disappointed in that there was nothing new or original about it.
Good, then I can wait until it comes out on VHS.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:14 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We were that passionate, but there wasn't much of the world with us.

I was an original Star Trek fan back in the 60s when it was first run (sure, and I watched "Lost in Space," too). But as far as I knew, I was the only person in the world watching Star Trek. I had nobody to talk about it with.

It would have been nice back then to talk about nerdy passions. But it's nice now, too.
Back when Star Trek first came on, I immediately loved it. I didn't know anyone else who did either, but we moved and my new friend Cindy was also an absolute fan. She had friends who were making up their own episodes and putting them on mini reel to reel tape. I bought one with my allowence and she and I and her brother made up our episodes, and the others theirs and we traded. It was soooo fun. I did babysitting and took my tv with me on Friday night.

Oh to hear some of those again....

When they were going to cancel it after the first two seasons, we were so surprised that there were so many as dedicated as us. I heard about a star trek convention and talked mom into taking me. Mom wasn't thrilled but I'd found family. It took time, but I found other cons and still when I can go to them.

Its about playing and thinking freely and envisioning a different world where we're not constricted by the 'expected' patterns of society. Imagination is fully encouraged. Check out the 'filk' music on youtube. Look for Leslie Fish. Thinking back, we as fans were ahead of society. Fandom is and was a place where the things which did matter back then like sexual orientation and age and were non issues. Now, a discussion of star wars vrs trek, or even better trek vrs babylon 5? And you could sit in on a conversation among engineers about how warp drive really worked.

If you go to a convention today, you'll see people from sixteen to past the sixties, in costume and not. I credit fandom for making me feel as if only the years have passed but I'm still inside that geeky kid who loved making up those stories and only wished my friend would let someone else be Spock once in a while.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
We were that passionate, but there wasn't much of the world with us.

I was an original Star Trek fan back in the 60s when it was first run (sure, and I watched "Lost in Space," too). But as far as I knew, I was the only person in the world watching Star Trek. I had nobody to talk about it with.

It would have been nice back then to talk about nerdy passions. But it's nice now, too.
Back when Star Trek firt came on, I immediately loved it. I didn't know anyone else who did either, but we moved and my new friend Cindy was also an absolute fan. She had friends who were making up their own episodes and putting them on mini reel to reel tape. I bought one with my allowence and she and I and her brother made up our episodes, and the others theirs and we traded. It was soooo fun. I did babysitting and took my tv with me on Friday night.

Oh to hear some of those again....

When they were going to cancel it after the first two seasons, we were so surprised that there were so many as dedicated as us. I heard about a star trek convention and talked mom into taking me. Mom wasn't thrilled but I'd found family. It took time, but I found other cons and still when I can go to them.

Its about playing and thinking freely and envisioning a different world where we're not constricted by the 'expected' patterns of society. Imagination is fully encouraged. Check out the 'filk' music on youtube. Look for Leslie Fish. Thinking back, we as fans were ahead of society. Fandom is and was a place where the things which did matter back then like sexual orientation and age and were non issues. Now, a discussion of star wars vrs trek, or even better trek vrs babylon 5? And you could sit in on a conversation among engineers about how warp drive really worked.

If you go to a convention today, you'll see people from sixteen to past the sixties, in costume and not. I credit fandom for making me feel as if only the years have passed but I'm still inside that geeky kid who loved making up those stories and only wished my friend would let someone else be Spock once in a while.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:47 PM

20,178 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Saw it last night. Good movie, but I was a bit disappointed in that there was nothing new or original about it. .
You should have put that into a spoiler box. It's that SHOW/HIDE button on the button bar at the top of the post window.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:48 PM

20,178 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There is something kinda cool about an elder geek and a younger geek sharing geekness.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:50 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,547,800 times
Quote:
You should have put that into a spoiler box. It's that SHOW/HIDE button on the button bar at the top of the post window.
Sorry, I didn't know about the spoiler box (or that my statement was really a spoiler since the plot was obvious almost from the beginning).

Old 12-20-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
There is something kinda cool about an elder geek and a younger geek sharing geekness.
Favorite moment of the old and the younger... (and the sometimes stuck up a bit)

I'm a lifetime member of LASFS (Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society) which was founded in the early 20th century and has never failed to have a legal Thursday night meeting. Death does not release you from membership, just takes you off the mailing list. Many of the greats grew into their carrears with the club. We'd moved out of LA but drove up for meetings as often as we could.

That night, I think it was an October night, the clubhouse was jammed. Rumor was someone suprising was coming. We didn't know this, we just decided to go. Then the meeting was interrupted, and closed early. Robert Heinlein had come. He was a member as a flegling writer up to his rise as one of the masters, but he seldom came later. He was in his 80's I think, post most of his novels, and was in good health again.

Everyone got to say hello. Due to arthritus he couldn't do autographs, but he was enjoying himself. Even the top people in the club were like fanboys since you didn't get a master of science fiction coming to the club too often.

I also went to the Atlanta worldcon when Ray Bradberry agreed to speak. He refused to fly, so he was driven or would take a train. We were half way across a large room but it was amazing to see him. I think it was the only worldcon he ever attended and had a very good time.

Fandom is a society within our big impersonal society which may come across as strange to some, but the door is always open to visit. After I moved I went to a con in OKC, knew absolutely nobody, but it felt like I did. I came upon a party with people involved in volunteer staff duties, which I had done, and it was like I'd known them already.

If you haven't before, look up a small to medium sized con near home and go, and you'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement