U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:24 AM

2,165 posts, read 1,266,382 times

Advertisements

I agree, it was not as impactful as Episodes I,II,III (minus Jar-Jar scenes), and was more OK than wowza. Saw it in 3D, Sunday at 7 and theatre was only half full. Mostly younger viewers also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 09:35 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,254,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Favorite moment of the old and the younger... (and the sometimes stuck up a bit)

I'm a lifetime member of LASFS (Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society) which was founded in the early 20th century and has never failed to have a legal Thursday night meeting. Death does not release you from membership, just takes you off the mailing list. Many of the greats grew into their carrears with the club. We'd moved out of LA but drove up for meetings as often as we could.

That night, I think it was an October night, the clubhouse was jammed. Rumor was someone suprising was coming. We didn't know this, we just decided to go. Then the meeting was interrupted, and closed early. Robert Heinlein had come. He was a member as a flegling writer up to his rise as one of the masters, but he seldom came later. He was in his 80's I think, post most of his novels, and was in good health again.

Everyone got to say hello. Due to arthritus he couldn't do autographs, but he was enjoying himself. Even the top people in the club were like fanboys since you didn't get a master of science fiction coming to the club too often.

I also went to the Atlanta worldcon when Ray Bradberry agreed to speak. He refused to fly, so he was driven or would take a train. We were half way across a large room but it was amazing to see him. I think it was the only worldcon he ever attended and had a very good time.

Fandom is a society within our big impersonal society which may come across as strange to some, but the door is always open to visit. After I moved I went to a con in OKC, knew absolutely nobody, but it felt like I did. I came upon a party with people involved in volunteer staff duties, which I had done, and it was like I'd known them already.

If you haven't before, look up a small to medium sized con near home and go, and you'll love it.
Damn, I would have walked over hot coals to see Heinlein. My favorite all time, I still reread his stuff.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
May Santa bring you a boxed set next Friday
Thanks! Stranger things have happened!

Old 12-21-2015, 10:29 AM

20,136 posts, read 11,162,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Damn, I would have walked over hot coals to see Heinlein. My favorite all time, I still reread his stuff.
"Mythbusters" proved that walking over hot coals is not that big a deal, if you know how do it right. Make it something hard, like swimming across a crocodile-infested river.

But I agree with you. I've read "Starship Troopers" over 30 times...I actually counted that many.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:17 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,377,315 times
We saw this last week, and we enjoyed it. We did see it in 3D, and it is the first 3D thing that I have watched that wasn't annoying. And it was on an IMax screen.

I did think that there some new things; there was a kickass new female character who was too physical to be realistic. But it was great to see a young woman as the prime mover in a great big movie. And it was also great to see some old friends from the original trilogy.

I am not into fan fiction; I have never obsessed over the plots of the original trilogy; I thought the third movie was stupid. But I enjoyed this one a lot. It was well done. I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to go. We went for a matinee, and the theater was not crowded. I do know that some of the viewers were in our age group.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:18 AM
bUU

11,881 posts, read 8,661,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We did see it in 3D, and it is the first 3D thing that I have watched that wasn't annoying.
Does anyone know what percentage of screens are showing the film in 3D? Everyone I've spoken to who's seen the film, so far, said they saw it in 3D.

Quote:
I did think that there some new things; there was a kickass new female character who was too physical to be realistic.
What about it was notably unrealistic?

Quote:
We went for a matinee, and the theater was not crowded.
I'm sure some folks will purchase tickets before the show today at 9:30 AM (when we're seeing the film), but as of this time, the theater seems to be about 40% empty.
Attached Thumbnails
Starwars???????-starwarsseats.jpg  

Old 12-28-2015, 05:04 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Does anyone know what percentage of screens are showing the film in 3D? Everyone I've spoken to who's seen the film, so far, said they saw it in 3D.

What about it was notably unrealistic?

I'm sure some folks will purchase tickets before the show today at 9:30 AM (when we're seeing the film), but as of this time, the theater seems to be about 40% empty.
Our local theaters at first had 25 showings per day and as one showing would fill they canceled what was scheduled to be shown to offer Star Wars. Of course this was not done the day of. The film has already crossed the one billion dollar mark the fastest of any movie in history. Which is a big wow!

Old 12-28-2015, 05:26 AM

20,136 posts, read 11,162,288 times
Quote:
I did think that there some new things; there was a kickass new female character who was too physical to be realistic.
You were looking for realism in a Star Wars movie? In a Sci-Fi movie? In a special effects movie? Seriously?

Old 12-28-2015, 09:15 AM

381 posts, read 352,636 times
Went with my sons. Enjoyed it very much.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:33 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Good, then I can wait until it comes out on VHS.
Is that a joke? Do movies still come out on VHS?

I am glad I went to see it the other night without having heard any spoilers. Had I waited for the DVD, I likely would have heard things I was glad to be surprised by. Yes, there is some of the same formula and similar plot lines to the first ones that came out; the ones that were well received and have been loved for a couple of generations (not by everyone, but by lots of us).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement