U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:42 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Does anyone know what percentage of screens are showing the film in 3D? Everyone I've spoken to who's seen the film, so far, said they saw it in 3D.

What about it was notably unrealistic?

I'm sure some folks will purchase tickets before the show today at 9:30 AM (when we're seeing the film), but as of this time, the theater seems to be about 40% empty.

LOL, now that you mention it, what about the movie WAS notably realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:47 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Anybody else not getting this Star-wars nonsense?
I remember 30+ years ago walking out to the theater lobby to take a break from the stuff on the screen.

I'd much rather watch a rerun of The Shawshank Redemption.

Or my all time favorite, "The Godfather series".

Rant over back to my morning nap.
I watched, and liked the original movie and the sequels/prequel when they came out, but never was a dyed in the wool Star Wars fan. I might be mildly interested now in seeing the new movie, but not enough to fight the crowds in line or pay the movie prices to see it. I'll wait till it comes out on Netflix, although as a Disney film I know that might take a while. Oh well....

Old 12-28-2015, 11:11 AM

2,038 posts, read 1,948,524 times
I saw it. It was terrible. A total rehash and simple plot.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:02 PM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I saw it. It was terrible. A total rehash and simple plot.
And (again) people are sheeple...

Old 12-28-2015, 05:51 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times
Quote:
Does anyone know what percentage of screens are showing the film in 3D? Everyone I've spoken to who's seen the film, so far, said they saw it in 3D.

What about it was notably unrealistic?

I'm sure some folks will purchase tickets before the show today at 9:30 AM (when we're seeing the film), but as of this time, the theater seems to be about 40% empty.
Well, other than it is a space fantasy!, I thought that Rey teaching herself to fly the Millennium Falcon was unrealistic. She, of course, had trouble at first, but she did manage it. And, it is unrealistic for most females to be so physically aggressive, and to win her battles. But I enjoyed watching it anyway. She is the central character, as Luke was over 40 years ago. In that, the very first movie and this one are similar.

I loved seeing Han Solo! I won't say more about him, but he is a better actor than he was 40+ years ago.

I suspect that the younger actors will have even more screen time in the next two.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:02 PM

89 posts, read 97,618 times
Saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D, and loved every minute. I was in college when Star Wars 1 came out. Such a kick seeing this film with with my late 20's son and his fiance. I say this movie perfectly bridges the original series with the new. We all loved it!

Old 12-29-2015, 03:27 AM
bUU

11,882 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Our local theaters at first had 25 showings per day and as one showing would fill they canceled what was scheduled to be shown to offer Star Wars.!
I was wondering what percentage of theaters showing the movie were showing it in 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, now that you mention it, what about the movie WAS notably realistic?
"Notably" means "worthy of note". If everything was equally believable, then nothing would be notable in that regard. Yet, silibran "noted" some portion of the film as unrealistic, but didn't make clear why that portion was something worthy of note.

Which is why I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, other than it is a space fantasy!, I thought that Rey teaching herself to fly the Millennium Falcon was unrealistic. She, of course, had trouble at first, but she did manage it.
Luke Skywalker piloted an x-wing fighter down a narrow canyon on the Death Star, and fired a "one in a million" shot, with no more experience that Rey had. If anything, Abrams took pains to make Rey's piloting skills far more realistic than Lucas scripted Luke's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And, it is unrealistic for most females to be so physically aggressive, and to win her battles.
That's a cultural bias imposed by our Earth-based society that need not apply (here or there). One of the things I thought was so well-communicated through all this is how well-trained Rey was by the struggles and difficulties she clearly lived through in the harsh environment of the planet Jakku, and how poorly-trained Finn and Kylo Ren were by the First Order and Snoke. This is not your father's Galactic Empire. While Luke was relatively cosseted, living with his aunt and uncle, with only comparatively minor risks in his daily life, Rey clearly was on her own, facing much more substantial dangers in her work. I found Rey's ability to best both Finn and Kylo Ren remarkably believable.

I also suspect that after martial arts and other physical workouts at the gym five hours a day, five days a week for three months, the actress (not the character) could kick the asses of most of the folks posting in this thread.

Last edited by bUU; 12-29-2015 at 03:48 AM..

Old 12-29-2015, 09:08 AM

1,318 posts, read 835,236 times
My son treated me to seeing the movie and I enjoyed it immensely. My son also chose to see the plain version, not the 3D version which was fine by me.

Quote:
That's a cultural bias imposed by our Earth-based society that need not apply (here or there). One of the things I thought was so well-communicated through all this is how well-trained Rey was by the struggles and difficulties she clearly lived through in the harsh environment of the planet Jakku, and how poorly-trained Finn and Kylo Ren were by the First Order and Snoke. This is not your father's Galactic Empire. While Luke was relatively cosseted, living with his aunt and uncle, with only comparatively minor risks in his daily life, Rey clearly was on her own, facing much more substantial dangers in her work. I found Rey's ability to best both Finn and Kylo Ren remarkably believable.
Agree completely, Rey's character was very well thought out and very believable.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:35 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Over half were in 3D go to fandango and look up show times at local theaters or the nearest city

Old 12-29-2015, 03:34 PM

20,136 posts, read 11,167,188 times
Quote:

I also suspect that after martial arts and other physical workouts at the gym five hours a day, five days a week for three months, the actress (not the character) could kick the asses of most of the folks posting in this thread.
There have been enough women in comic book movies whipping up on men over the last few years that Rey is simply not a big deal in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement