U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 03:48 PM

22,113 posts, read 14,526,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I was wondering what percentage of theaters showing the movie were showing it in 3D.

"Notably" means "worthy of note". If everything was equally believable, then nothing would be notable in that regard. Yet, silibran "noted" some portion of the film as unrealistic, but didn't make clear why that portion was something worthy of note.

Which is why I asked.

Luke Skywalker piloted an x-wing fighter down a narrow canyon on the Death Star, and fired a "one in a million" shot, with no more experience that Rey had. If anything, Abrams took pains to make Rey's piloting skills far more realistic than Lucas scripted Luke's.

That's a cultural bias imposed by our Earth-based society that need not apply (here or there). One of the things I thought was so well-communicated through all this is how well-trained Rey was by the struggles and difficulties she clearly lived through in the harsh environment of the planet Jakku, and how poorly-trained Finn and Kylo Ren were by the First Order and Snoke. This is not your father's Galactic Empire. While Luke was relatively cosseted, living with his aunt and uncle, with only comparatively minor risks in his daily life, Rey clearly was on her own, facing much more substantial dangers in her work. I found Rey's ability to best both Finn and Kylo Ren remarkably believable.

I also suspect that after martial arts and other physical workouts at the gym five hours a day, five days a week for three months, the actress (not the character) could kick the asses of most of the folks posting in this thread.
Yes to all that. Nevertheless I think if it is stupid to assume that men must always be the actors in conflict, it is also stupid to make a female always the major agent of change. I admit I loved seeing her be so competent and fearless! But, I liked Finn too, and would have enjoyed him being the same.

It strikes me that Finn may turn out to be the equivalent of Han Solo in the series. She has the Force, as did Luke, and he might be the lovable, humorous galoot, who backs her up. Of course, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 04:19 PM

20,301 posts, read 11,263,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes to all that. Nevertheless I think if it is stupid to assume that men must always be the actors in conflict, it is also stupid to make a female always the major agent of change. I admit I loved seeing her be so competent and fearless! But, I liked Finn too, and would have enjoyed him being the same.

It strikes me that Finn may turn out to be the equivalent of Han Solo in the series. She has the Force, as did Luke, and he might be the lovable, humorous galoot, who backs her up. Of course, I don't know.
I think you're absolutely correct.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:43 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,611,256 times
Quote:

I haven't seen it yet, but hope to see it in 3D. But as for a female being the kick ass sort, I don't think Leia would have been so well recieved today. She was the classic princess, and you see her sitting in meetings with those running things. But she wasn't intended to be a soldier. Today a female soldier with solid skills is perfectly acceptable, even desired. Would they have done Leia's story different today?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:00 PM

20,301 posts, read 11,263,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but hope to see it in 3D. But as for a female being the kick ass sort, I don't think Leia would have been so well recieved today. She was the classic princess, and you see her sitting in meetings with those running things. But she wasn't intended to be a soldier. Today a female soldier with solid skills is perfectly acceptable, even desired. Would they have done Leia's story different today?
They would have to have two female characters, one in each role. The other would be Gina Rodriguez.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:14 PM

2,904 posts, read 4,597,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Yes, we were bowled over by the special effects. My 6-years old brother was all saucer-eyed and stayed absolutely still for entire film, a rare thing for a hyperactive kid.

My brother's love for Star Wars transferred to his kids. Their most treasured toys were the light sabers. I did not realize that my father was their playmate. When my father passed away suddenly in 2006, my brother sent us a video clip taken by his 6 years son of his little brother engaging in a light saber fight with my father.

We had tears in our eyes watching the tender video with my father completely immersed in the game playing role with his 3-years old grandson. He clutched his chest and collapsed on the floor after being poked by the light saber. Of course, my nephew allowed him to resurrect to continue the game!

My father was 83 years old. The video clip was recorded few days before his passing.

The kids are now in their teens but still have their light sabers. If we had lived closer, I'd definitely stand in line with my brother's family for the opening of this new Star Wars movie.
I was in my 20s when my husband and I went to see the original Star Wars. We didn't have any children yet, it was just us, and we LOVED the movie. It was like nothing we had EVER seen. We were hooked! We eventually saw The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, but the original Star Wars was our favorite.

Fast forward a couple of years, and our oldest son was born. He would snuggle up with his Dad on the La-Z-boy, and they'd watch Star Wars on the TV again and again. My son had several Star Wars aircraft, as well as lots of the little action figures. Oh, what they would be worth on today's market.

Second son came along, and I recall my husband and the two boys having mock battles in the family room with their light sabers. I think they even hit a lampshade by accident...ooops!

My husband passed away when the boys were still little guys. I never got caught up in any of the ensuing Star Wars movies that were released after we lost him, but I don't think I missed much anyway. After reading an interesting article in Time magazine about the newest Star Wars movie, I decided that I wanted to go see it...and invited my sons to go with me. We saw it this past weekend, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. In many ways, the film was a throwback to the original movie that their Dad and I loved, and the three of us seeing it together was a tribute to their Dad. It was the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon with my sons.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:22 PM

2,904 posts, read 4,597,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I have three sons and they were mesmerized, along with all their friends, over the original saga (you have to see SW on the giant theater screen, not at home). All they begged for were the toy figures. We had them all, quite a fortune, lol.

There is no place in modern American culture for mythology. Works like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, etc brought some mythological aspects to youth (and adults).

The ideas of the forces of good and evil, awaken the force within, father-son, son combatting the sins of the father, corrupt vs benevolent regimes, etc are played out in easily identified figures, and there was "justice" to it, unlike the senseless violent movies today that lack that archetypal dimension. The archetype of Star Wars has parallels in other works seldom accessed in the popular entertainment world.

And Star Wars was character-driven, something kids could relate to. Superman, kind of. But that story pales in comparison to Star Wars and its rich lineup of human and invented characters and psychodrama. Luke and Yoda were favorites. It was the same era as "ET," which introduced a sense of the positive supernatural to youth.
You make SO many excellent points! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You "get" it.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:53 PM

718 posts, read 606,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
All I can say is I wish I had kept all those Star Wars toy figures, which were about $10 each way back then. They must be worth something today.
Just saw a video that Rick Springsfield is one of the largest collectors of Star Wars memorabilia with several pieces that are worth thousands of dollars. He purchased a lot of it when it was $5 and $10.

I wish that I was Jesse's Girl!

Old 12-29-2015, 07:57 PM

718 posts, read 606,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I have never seen the first Starwars, and Imdont think my life has been any worse for it.

That means I won't be spending money on the new movie that made $50 million on opening night.

If I am going to risk getting shot up in a theater, it would be be to see "Sisters" and "The Hateful Eight".

Those two movies are right up my entertainment alley
Why on earth would you get shot up in a theatre?

Old 12-30-2015, 08:56 AM
bUU

11,935 posts, read 8,700,395 times
Quote:
Yes to all that. Nevertheless I think if it is stupid to assume that men must always be the actors in conflict, it is also stupid to make a female always the major agent of change.
Huh? "Always"? That's way off-base. Hollywood is just barely scratching the surface of making up for lost time.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:49 AM
JRR

3,707 posts, read 2,245,435 times
We finally went and saw it on Friday. Not life changing experience, but pleasant enough way to spend a couple of hours. Kind of like seeing some acquaintances from many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement