U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:54 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,505,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
In 1977, when the first Star Wars movie, A New Hope, came out and I seen it...........I was hooked!
In 1977, when the first Star Wars movie came out .... it wasn't called "A New Hope" or "Episode IV". It was simply called "Star Wars". I know this because I saw it in 1977.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM

4,003 posts, read 3,224,645 times
I remember when my Mom took me to go see the original Star Wars way back when. She told me, lets go see this movie, its a cute little movie, nothing special, but I think you'll like it.

If we only knew then what we know now.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:14 AM

20,179 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I remember when my Mom took me to go see the original Star Wars way back when. She told me, lets go see this movie, its a cute little movie, nothing special, but I think you'll like it.

If we only knew then what we know now.
It took me only the first 40 seconds to realize it was something special. There had been nothing like it since "2001" a decade earlier.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:22 AM

19,854 posts, read 18,874,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It took me only the first 40 seconds to realize it was something special. There had been nothing like it since "2001" a decade earlier.
I loved 2001. "The Dawn of Man"--always remember that. And the music that went with it.

Star Wars? Ho Hum. It's not my cup of tea.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:29 AM

18,573 posts, read 9,599,486 times
I still love watching Star Wars movies and can't wait to see this new one. Trying to see if my sons will wait until after Christmas to watch it with us.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:43 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes, we were bowled over by the special effects. My 6-years old brother was all saucer-eyed and stayed absolutely still for entire film, a rare thing for a hyperactive kid.

My brother's love for Star Wars transferred to his kids. Their most treasured toys were the light sabers. I did not realize that my father was their playmate. When my father passed away suddenly in 2006, my brother sent us a video clip taken by his 6 years son of his little brother engaging in a light saber fight with my father.

We had tears in our eyes watching the tender video with my father completely immersed in the game playing role with his 3-years old grandson. He clutched his chest and collapsed on the floor after being poked by the light saber. Of course, my nephew allowed him to resurrect to continue the game!

My father was 83 years old. The video clip was recorded few days before his passing.

The kids are now in their teens but still have their light sabers. If we had lived closer, I'd definitely stand in line with my brother's family for the opening of this new Star Wars movie.

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-18-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 10:02 AM

1,073 posts, read 810,887 times
I have never seen the first Starwars, and Imdont think my life has been any worse for it.

That means I won't be spending money on the new movie that made $50 million on opening night.

If I am going to risk getting shot up in a theater, it would be be to see "Sisters" and "The Hateful Eight".

Those two movies are right up my entertainment alley

Old 12-18-2015, 10:12 AM

13,941 posts, read 7,422,661 times
I rarely go to the movie theater. I'll read the reviews and decide if this one is worth it. I have a good home theater and buy all the major Blu Ray releases. I'll see it in 6 months if I don't make it to the theater.

I don't get the Star Wars hate. The first 3 movies are an iconic part of American culture. They're superb popcorn movies. The three Lucas sellout sequels weren't at the same level. Jar Jar Binks? Really?

One regret I have is not seeing Gravity in an IMAX theater. It's one of the few movies I own where my home theater doesn't do it justice.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:24 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,194,190 times
I love the 70s ones and loved the new one - saw it last night (didn't love the other 3 that came out in late 90s). It's just so fun and such a nostalgia thing. And they were good movies! When that original theme music comes on I get goosebumps. Now my kids love it and it's just fun. And, Harrison Ford wasn't bad on the eyes in the 70s!

Old 12-18-2015, 10:32 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,254,966 times
I remember seeing the 1st one when it came out. I was a stranger in a very strange land at the time, hadn't seen a movie for a couple of years, so it was a huge deal for a science fiction buff like me. I've seen them all since and I eagerly look forward to this one but I didn't see it at midnight and I won't stand in line. My son did though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement