U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:44 AM

8,797 posts, read 7,712,915 times

Advertisements

Like a lot of people, we stood in line and watched the first star wars. The graphics were groundbreaking and that's a lot of what made the movie. I was a fan of the first three. But then Episode one came out. What a turkey. Since then, no interest at all. The hype will carry this for awhile, but they are making big predictions. I don't think this will be near as popular as the original. My guess is that interest will soon die out. Its a different time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:05 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
I have all the old Star Wars movies on Blu Ray. I'll wait till the price goes down on this one. Rarely are the new episodes as good as the originals.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:13 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
All I can say is I wish I had kept all those Star Wars toy figures, which were about $10 each way back then. They must be worth something today.
Bada Bing!

Old 12-18-2015, 11:18 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Anybody else not getting this Star-wars nonsense?
I remember 30+ years ago walking out to the theater lobby to take a break from the stuff on the screen.

I'd much rather watch a rerun of The Shawshank Redemption.

Or my all time favorite, "The Godfather series".

Rant over back to my morning nap.
Is this the Dark side of the Force coming out of you today? Perhaps your future generations will find themselves aligned with Darth Vader and the Galactic Empire and fulfill your destiny if that is what you so desire. For me I am hoping that future generations of Tuborg's will find themselve fighting for a better tomorrow and freedom wth the Rebel Alliance. May the force be with _____!

Old 12-18-2015, 11:27 AM

9,690 posts, read 18,880,003 times
The first Star Wars was so different than the rest of the movies coming out at the time, I'd seen it after it had been out for awhile and only went because the person I was dating at the time wanted to see it. It was/is a great movie. You can see it again and it's not dated other than being a movie you remember from thirty years ago. The new versions have a lot more special effects added in, though. But that's okay, the more space craft, the better.

We won't have the option to stand in line to see the new Star Wars for several weeks at least. Maybe sometime next month it will get to our local theater and we may go see it twice. Goes great on a big screen with popcorn, no doubt. Plus our local theater is only $6 so it's not expensive like some of those new theaters with much smaller screens.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:38 AM

49 posts, read 33,631 times
I dearly wish I could see the new film but will have to wait until it comes out on DVD/bluray. :-( I have tinnitus and hyperacusis, so to be in a loud/noisy environment is physically painful as well as a risk to the hearing in my "better" ear.

Normally I don't care about going to movies but I admit, I wish I could see this one -- especially because of Harrison Ford. ;-)

I hope they don't wait until next winter to release it on DVD! Crossing fingers for this summer but who knows.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:51 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronaria View Post
I dearly wish I could see the new film but will have to wait until it comes out on DVD/bluray. :-( I have tinnitus and hyperacusis, so to be in a loud/noisy environment is physically painful as well as a risk to the hearing in my "better" ear.

Normally I don't care about going to movies but I admit, I wish I could see this one -- especially because of Harrison Ford. ;-)

I hope they don't wait until next winter to release it on DVD! Crossing fingers for this summer but who knows.
That is one thing I can't bear - movie theaters are so loud now. And maybe it is me, but no matter how loud, the actors seem to be mumbling - can't catch all the words. Like I need subtitles!

And I know it isn't me - I have excellent hearing

Old 12-18-2015, 11:57 AM

20,178 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Like a lot of people, we stood in line and watched the first star wars. The graphics were groundbreaking and that's a lot of what made the movie. I was a fan of the first three. But then Episode one came out. What a turkey. Since then, no interest at all. The hype will carry this for awhile, but they are making big predictions. I don't think this will be near as popular as the original. My guess is that interest will soon die out. Its a different time.
Yes, it is a different time. As I mentioned before, back then such special effects had never been seen before, and certainly not combined with such sure-fire entertainment motifs. For instance, it was not lost on me even then that Lucas had even squeezed in some old Errol Flynn pirate motifs. That was just part of the overall great time it offered, so amazing and unexpected in those days.

Kids today may enjoy it, you really had to be there then.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:02 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,745,668 times
Went to the Premier of Return of the Jedi..... Was fantastic....

Old 12-18-2015, 12:04 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,194,190 times
I think you all will really like this one - it's much more like the orignal ones and NOT like the most recent 3 - which were loud, overblown, overly complicated, and just kind of dumb. This one is relatively simple with major themes - like the 70s one. It's sweet and at times funny - like the 70s ones. It has heartfelt relationships - like the.... The actors are really good too - a few unknowns and a few lesser knowns (and of course, the 3 stars of the original one!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement