U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 01:26 AM

19,824 posts, read 18,832,665 times

Advertisements

I used to have a cat named Yoda. I can never think of names for pets but somebody told me it looked like Yoda. That's as close as I ever got to Star Wars. I just can't get into science fiction at all.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:28 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,534,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post

I think you'd have to have kids who saw and loved the original Star Wars to understand the juvenile fascination with it. Because my kids loved it and they weren't old enough to see it on their own and we had to take them, we were excited for them. It's not something I'd be dying to see if I didn't have the youth perspective. And it's nice that multi-generations, like yours, can enjoy this fantasy story together.
You don't need kids around to embrase your inner child and just let yourself play, and share it with the others who have given themselves permission to play. I know plenty of adults who can't wait to see it who aren't doing it for the kids. It's a different world and while it may be easier for kids to embrase them, there are plenty of us who aren't who still love to play in other worlds. I absolutely loved Jimmy Kimmel's Star Wars celebration show, especially since it was all very real enthusiasm, and his guests were bonified fans who love to play in the star wars universe.

Adults need to be able to play and have fun too. Fandoms are made fun of, but they are a way for adults with the weight of the world on them to play and have fun and immerse themselves in this other world. I have a great love of Star Trek, and of course when I decided to make a new jacket, the lining for the old one intact but the outside kinda dead, I crocheted it. Of course its a starfleet uniform from Star Trek I do intend to wear it when I see the new Star Wars movie of course.

It's my favorite playground. For some StarWars or some of the Marvel universes. But finding another universe you can play in is fun and imaginative, and can make this somewhat tired and stressful one tolerable. Its good for adults to come out and play, wear costumes even and share with others of all ages.

Star Wars has one foot in the heroic epics of early civilization, and one in the dreams of reaching ideals we understand today, like freedom, and plenty of adventure and space battles inbetween so there is something for everyone.

Last edited by nightbird47; 12-19-2015 at 01:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 02:08 AM

1,158 posts, read 648,171 times
Geese I feel like the only person who never saw any of the Star Wars movies. Not even 10 minutes of one to fall asleep during! Now that I have 1 foot into retirement, I don't like the feeling of having the whole world pass me by. I just might have to go watch at least the original one - so I'll know what people are talking about!

Is it only me, but I don't recall seeing the SW movies on cable as reruns, ever. Funny I never got into them because I really loved ET and I watched Starship Enterprise over and over, reruns every afternoon for years!

I have 2 DGKids who absolutely adore everything SW, or they did a few years back when their Dad showed them all the movies. I'll bet they've already seen the new one.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:21 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmilw View Post
ha, I'm a fan, for sure. And my parents, in their 70s, just told me they're rewatching the original trilogy this week in anticipation of seeing VII when the crowds die back a bit.
Star Wars and the frenzy surrounding it reminds me of the following:

Quote:
You can't remain forever young, but you can remain forever immature!
Perhaps for folks our age that is food for youthfulness.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:38 AM

676 posts, read 1,327,735 times
I've only seen the first Star Wars movie and that was only because I was at that time single parenting a 7 year old boy. I didn't mind it, but not really my thing. I imagine my son (now forty-five) will see the new movie with his Dad. They will love it.

I was somewhat annoyed a few days ago. I went to the mall, primarily to see the Christmas decorations. The mall had surprisingly little Christmas decor--no large central Xmas tree. However, many stores were selling Star Wars themed something or other. Good for the economy, I suppose.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:51 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
Dustin Hoffman played "Tootsie." Robin would've been good, though, I bet, thinking of his Mrs. Doubtfire.

Oh crap, you're right! lol My only defense is that I was half asleep when I wrote that!

Old 12-19-2015, 05:59 AM

672 posts, read 837,449 times
When we were in St Maartan recently we visited the store The Yoda Guy. We stopped in and met Nick Maley who contributed to the creation of Yoda. Very interesting man and store.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:30 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Don't forget the senior discount, lol.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:47 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,955,455 times
It is kind of neat seeing my 20 something apprentices getting so jazzed up over a movie series that originally came out waaaaaay before they were born.

So many dressed up and purchased their tickets early.

I am soon to be 56 and in my early twenty's I was not into comics book characters and the accompanying movies and things the way this generation is. They talk about action hero's with such passion.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:01 AM

8,181 posts, read 11,902,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I don't think 'loosening up' has anything to do with wanting to see Star Wars or a similar movie.

A person is either interested in that type of subject matter or not. I am not.

One can always learn new things....but I've gone a lifetime with zero interest in Star Wars and StarTrek shows/movies and everything surrounding them. And I don't want to have an 'inner kid'.
Thanks for the chuckle this morning.

I always get a little kick out of people who see a thread on a certain subject, click on the thread about that same subject, read multiple pages of posts on said subject, click on the post reply button in the thread on said subject, and then type a response to be posted on the thread about said subject, that simply states that they have absolutely no interest in said subject.

Well done.

And thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement