U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:48 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,881,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And yet stairs are good for bad knees. Use it or lose it. I always feel sad when I see someone give up and use a scooter to get around. The end (Skilled Nursing Facility) is near.
The only time I do either one is usually on vacation. Most of the time I go down my front steps then walk to the car. How do you travel to where you are going? You know what you are doing when you assume. Nobody asked you to comment on what other people do. You can choose who you get into an elevator with but the stairs can have all kinds of people lurking around. It always amazes me how people will put themselves in unsafe places in order to be healthy. I exercise in the swimming pool and weight room at our health club but I use the elevator when one is available. Saves bunches of time too when you are staying in a condo on the 10th floor. LOL

Last edited by NCN; 12-19-2015 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 07:51 PM

4,695 posts, read 2,543,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
At my workplace building it is 4 floors with a very slow elevator...and yet I see people of all ages (well, usually 30 and up) who WAIT to take the elevator DOWN!
You don't understand serious knee problems.

It is very often the case that it is easier to walk up stairs rather than down.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:10 PM

2,430 posts, read 1,666,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Not many stairs around. But when I do find some stairs I take them. Slowly. It's not my knees, it's my back which hurts. I am trying to stay limber.

When I park I usually think, oh I should park way in the back and take a long walk in. Sadly, I'm usually in too much of a hurry to do that. Someday. Someday.
I was thinking the same thing, not many stairs or even second floors where I live in FL. I don't go to malls of office buildings often here. As for parking lots, I look for the shade under trees, be it close or far.

In NY our street curves down to the river and is steep enough for cars to easily slide backwards when it's slick. I agree with the other post that said going up is easier than down. I feel it in my knees going down that hill and my older dog was limping this summer and recovered in FL. I walked him one too many times down the hill, that and our steep stairs in the house. He's showing his age.

I do use open stairs in malls/airports instead of escalators but will not use a stairwell in a building when alone and will take the elevator, for safety reasons.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:50 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,735,077 times
Retiring soon but try to use the stairs several times a day to my third floor office. If the elevator door is open and waiting, I will take it though. I work with one person who is afraid of elevators so she never uses them.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:59 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,845,295 times
There aren't many stairs around here but the town has a brand new library with a gorgeous wide spiral staircase. I figure I need to go to the library at least once a week and use that long but gentle flight of stairs. Other than that the only stairs are up or down to get in and out of the house.

My doctors office has elevators and stairs--it depends on whether or not I'm late!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:28 PM

8,615 posts, read 9,678,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
I'm talking about most of the time. Me, I take the stairs. There'll come a day and a time when it'll be elevator time for me but until then, I'm enjoying the stairs.

I'm old, tired and lazy so I guess I'd have to say elevator.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:23 PM

823 posts, read 564,166 times
I pick the stairs, but I must say I'm normally frequenting fairly low-rise structures of up to three stories, or very occasionally four stories. If I were in a high-rise with 5+ stories, I'd probably use the elevator.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:45 PM

5,246 posts, read 3,012,247 times
Retired, no workplace. We live on the ground floor, no stairs in our place. It will stay that way.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:53 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Elevator. I hate going up the stairs. I will sometimes go down them.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:01 PM

39,536 posts, read 47,711,196 times
When you get to a certain age and your knees go, your back strains and you're gasping for air, it's the elevator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or