U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 12:48 PM

11,929 posts, read 20,376,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Right. If one's knees hurt don't use them. If your brain gets dull go with the flow. If it becomes hard to get out of a chair don't fight it. Much easier than saying I need to get strong and doing something about it. FYI, not being able to transfer out of a chair is your ticket to a nursing home. Fact!

So what model scooter are you eyeing?

Not so much the Calories as the "keeping able" factor. But yea there is the calories factor too.

Hot Pink! I want the hot pink scooter!

This is what I get for shorthanding. I do janitorial work, and I vacuum 21 flights of stairs. I do walk stairs, and I walk about 2 miles a day for work, 1/4 of a mile of it pushing a 16 pound vacuum. I also use a recumbent bike, and exercise. But my knees are going bad, and will need to be replaced, but not quite yet.

So -- when offered the option -- I take the elevator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 01:41 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
Love stairs! So long as I can do stairs, I will.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:41 PM

8,390 posts, read 9,134,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Hot Pink! I want the hot pink scooter!

This is what I get for shorthanding. I do janitorial work, and I vacuum 21 flights of stairs. I do walk stairs, and I walk about 2 miles a day for work, 1/4 of a mile of it pushing a 16 pound vacuum. I also use a recumbent bike, and exercise. But my knees are going bad, and will need to be replaced, but not quite yet.

So -- when offered the option -- I take the elevator.
Understandable. With my former desk job, when offered the option I would stand when visiting-explaining that after sitting for 8 hours I really needed to stand for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The only time I do either one is usually on vacation. Most of the time I go down my front steps then walk to the car. How do you travel to where you are going? You know what you are doing when you assume. Nobody asked you to comment on what other people do. You can choose who you get into an elevator with but the stairs can have all kinds of people lurking around. It always amazes me how people will put themselves in unsafe places in order to be healthy. I exercise in the swimming pool and weight room at our health club but I use the elevator when one is available. Saves bunches of time too when you are staying in a condo on the 10th floor. LOL
Really? Do you know what forums are about??? Not to mention I just retired as a Social Worker, whose job it was to give people advice-part of which was to keep them out of nursing homes. Your fear of stairwells is irrational. People get murdered in elevators AND stairwells!

In green: sounds like your personal habits will land you in assisted living a few years

Old 12-20-2015, 06:09 PM

1,924 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Understandable. With my former desk job, when offered the option I would stand when visiting-explaining that after sitting for 8 hours I really needed to stand for a bit.

Really? Do you know what forums are about??? Not to mention I just retired as a Social Worker, whose job it was to give people advice-part of which was to keep them out of nursing homes. Your fear of stairwells is irrational. People get murdered in elevators AND stairwells!

In green: sounds like your personal habits will land you in assisted living a few years

and yet, most people simply answered the OP's question, without feeling the need to comment on the actions of others. And of course, we didn't know you were an expert. (Social Worker) I'll bet you were a joy to work with.

There are many reasons why people can't do stairs. Not all of them have to do with laziness. I think anyone who can would be proud to proclaim it here.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:33 PM

13,645 posts, read 8,559,902 times
UP the stairs!? Oh, yeah. I float.

But DOWN the stairs is when I shine. I do it like James Cagney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlvB4xk4LNQ

Old 12-21-2015, 05:13 PM

11,929 posts, read 20,376,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
UP the stairs!? Oh, yeah. I float.

But DOWN the stairs is when I shine. I do it like James Cagney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlvB4xk4LNQ

Man -- that was fun... but I have never been that coordinated.

If that had been me on that video -- face plant city.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:03 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Man -- that was fun... but I have never been that coordinated.

If that had been me on that video -- face plant city.

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBb9hTyLjfM

But I think that I'll take the elevator.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:20 PM

8,390 posts, read 9,134,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
and yet, most people simply answered the OP's question, without feeling the need to comment on the actions of others. And of course, we didn't know you were an expert. (Social Worker) I'll bet you were a joy to work with.

There are many reasons why people can't do stairs. Not all of them have to do with laziness. I think anyone who can would be proud to proclaim it here.
Sorry, but part of my job was to keep people from getting old fast. I would often advise people in their late 50s that sitting around watching TV, eating poorly, not socializing and not getting any exercise (which was their lifestyle) was a ticket to an early death, a nursing home or dementia. And similar to a few posters here, some resented my advice.

Was I a joy to work with? Judging from my send off, perhaps. One of my gifts was a 1.5 liter bottle of Kettle One. Inside joke.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:34 PM

412 posts, read 261,438 times
I usually take the stairs, even if I'm going up several floors. Alas, my ankle is broken, so it will be a while before I can use stairs again. 😕

Old 12-21-2015, 08:09 PM

890 posts, read 676,616 times
When I tore my ACL in a sports injury about 15 years ago, I was a superfit 45'ish person who had to swallow his pride and take the elevator and even in one instance allow the grocery clerk to help me take groceries to my car. It was a good learning experience for me that gave me a better understanding that you never know why someone takes the elevator or rides around in a scooter.

Spending some summer time in Phoenix on those killer super hot days, gave me a new appreciation for taking the elevator rather than the stairs at an apartment complex I was visiting.

And sometimes, I exercise so intense that I make a "business decision" to take the elevator and treat myself for an awesome workout accomplished.

And a whole new series of questions could be asked such as: (1) do you get up and change the TV channel or do you use your remote, (2) do you open your garage door manually or do you use your remote, (3) do you open that can of tuna with a hand-operated opener or do you use the electric can opener, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or