U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:41 PM

13,235 posts, read 6,335,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I have to be careful because my stomach rebels if I eat incorrectly. It is not a pretty picture, lol.
Yeah I dont have this problem. I'm a "see"food person. I just need to go shopping when I'm not hungry. I think it will be less frustration when I go shopping. Not to deal with the crowd, more relaxing.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 12-20-2015 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 06:53 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Care to share your meal planning service? It sounds great and practical!
That caught my attention too. I once bought a book with menus for each day of the year. My husband kept threatening to use it to start his trash fire from pruning. I have made tentative meal plans for a week and typed it to a chart and posted it to the front of the refrigerator. It can get really boring though. Planning meals can really be tiresome.

Do you have to pay for the meal planning service?

Here is the book I love so much I have about worn it out. My husband would eat the same food every day of the year. I need variety.
http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Journals-.../dp/0525931163
I bought this book from a school child that was selling magazines for his school. My experience had been that sometimes you pay for the magazines and sometimes you would get them and sometimes you wouldn't. I wanted to buy from the child and help the school but didn't want to have to deal with the magazine company. So I bought a book instead about the year of 1980. Good decision. I like Farm Journal Cookbooks because they use natural farm produced foods.

I found this book at the grocery store on special sale.
http://www.amazon.com/Womans-Day-Wei.../dp/B001QCXDTG
It has 30 days of 1200 calorie a day plans with some recipes. Page 29 has a formula for making your own daily selections for 1,000, 1200, 1400, 1600, and 1800 calories stating Protein, Bread/starch, fruit, vegetables, dairy, and fat servings. There are corresponding lists of choices to use in making the menus if you want something different from the menus in the book. The chart also includes Actual calories, total protein, carbs, and fat grams per day.

The biggest thing I have noticed being retired is not being too tired to prepare meals and getting to choose when we want to eat.

Last edited by NCN; 12-20-2015 at 07:49 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 07:00 PM

3,346 posts, read 3,051,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
now that we are both home and free to whatever our costs are way higher .
I'm guessing this will be me. More bikes, more bike supplies, more races, travel (including international). Now, work pays for my travel (which I get to plan so I can combine work and pleasure). I'm sure Ill be eating out more and going out more (live music, hockey, etc.) when I don't have to get up and go to work. There is no way I'm moving to BF nowhere.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:46 PM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
One of my problems is looking at recipes, putting the ingredients on my grocery list & then forgetting which recipes they are for.

Ok - New Years resolution = use Office to record things!I've just gotten lazy. My Gads, when I think of all the lists I made while working, both with word & excel!!! I will do this!

Old 12-20-2015, 08:22 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,585,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
One of my problems is looking at recipes, putting the ingredients on my grocery list & then forgetting which recipes they are for.

Ok - New Years resolution = use Office to record things!I've just gotten lazy. My Gads, when I think of all the lists I made while working, both with word & excel!!! I will do this!
We had that problem. Cupboard full, and nothing to eat.

emeals solved it.
Cupboard gets pretty much emptied every week. Start over with the week's elist and go shopping during off hours when no one is there. I prefer evening around 7:30.
Menus and instructions are all included.
It's cheap.

There are several companies to choose from.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
For those who asked, here's an example of e-meals. There are others if you GOOGLE online meals and recipes.

How eMeals Works

Old 12-20-2015, 08:57 PM

16,423 posts, read 5,357,597 times
Our cost of living seems to have gone down significantly, mainly because of medical. When we were working, Mr. Bay and I both had affordable group health insurance through our company. We paid several hundreds of dollars a month each toward the premiums and the company paid the rest. Our work wardrobe was casual, so retirement made no difference. We did stop having to pay $80 a month for parking near our workplace and about $200 a month in union dues.

When Mr. Bay retired at 65, Medicare with a supplement was way cheaper than what he's been paying before. But not long afterward I was forced to take early retirement at 58, I worked part-time there and still had health insurance, but I had to pay for it myself. I was shocked when I found out that my rate would double!

The union benefits rep explained that Insurers assume that if you retire early, you must have some sort of medical problem, and so they put you in the highest risk category and jack the rates up sky-high. My premiums started at over $600 per month (1 person, including dental) and shot up to an astounding $1300 a month by the time I turned 65! My reduced early pension didn't even come close to covering it. As soon as I was eligible for Medicare, my health premiums went down to $300-something. What a relief that was.

Though Mr. Bay and I eat out as much or more as we did when we were working, we have no travel expenses because Mr. Bay prefers not to travel. Other than a few concerts and movies and a family gathering here and there, our travel and entertainment budget is near zero, and we spend less on gas than when we were working because there's no daily commute.

We drive old cars and live in a small, paid-for house with a reasonable property tax rate, about $3,000 a year. The increases are capped so it can never go up more than about 1.5% a year no matter how high property values go. So on the whole we're better off now even though our income is only about 60% of what it was during our working years.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 15,400,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We had that problem. Cupboard full, and nothing to eat.

emeals solved it.
Cupboard gets pretty much emptied every week. Start over with the week's elist and go shopping during off hours when no one is there. I prefer evening around 7:30.
Menus and instructions are all included.
It's cheap.

There are several companies to choose from.
I signed up for emeals quite a few years ago, probably in the 90s. But I canceled when one of the "meals" was HOT POCKETS! Really? I could plan meals like that myself! I just went to their website to see if they had things like Hot Pockets listed and it looks like they don't...hopefully they have gotten better!

Old 12-21-2015, 12:08 AM

19,842 posts, read 18,867,840 times
Maybe we should have a retiree recipe thread. Even when I was working I made a list of meals that we liked--because I was brain dead when I got home from work and couldn't even think of what to eat. I stuck that list to the fridge and referred to it all the time. When you think about it, there are probably a set number of meals that you normally eat. The food that you really like.

These days I might have pot roast in the slow cooker one day, roast lamb with gravy, mashed potatoes and beets another day, roast chicken with baked potatoes, carrots and salad another day. That's three days covered. Probably in between days I would use the leftovers to make something, so that would cover a week. (We make roasts a lot in winter.) I keep winter squash, turnips, and a lot of frozen vegetables on hand to eat with the leftovers so that it's not a re-run of the original meal.

We fend for ourselves for breakfast and lunch so it's only the nightly meal that takes much thought.

Sometimes dh makes his great shepherd's pie or fresh baked haddock or I look through the ol' recipe box for something different. Our summer recipes are different but in winter, due to our climate, the meals are hearty. I don't have a list of our frequent meals on the fridge anymore but I do have the low tech method of recipes on index cards--rubber band around a group of Cold weather recipes and there is another group labelled Hot weather recipes.

Being home a lot gives both of us a lot of time to look through the store flyers for sale items and more time to figure out what to cook. More time to actually cook because we are home and not exhausted from working. I'm actually starting to enjoy cooking and this home cooking may be one of our major money savers.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:47 AM

71,630 posts, read 71,777,271 times
Perhaps it should be recipes just for food you can put in a blender ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or