Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 03:16 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,257,151 times

Advertisements

C&C lost my interest quite some time ago. I'll check back when the long posts stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 06:44 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,359,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
I get what you guys are saying, but my point is: everyone who reads the threads are not in the elite status or mindset of having disposable income to say its cheaper not working.
These threads address a broad range of what people think and how people live in retirement as it relates to whether it is cheaper or more costly than working, its not just for the elite or well to do set.

Reality is for some, it is not cheaper in retirement, than when they worked. It's rather sad that you don't see beyond your current situations to consider those who don't have the luxury you have of high income which gave the options to have various annuities or generous retirement benefits. you may look at "today" and make measure of this or that, but if one continues to live- many tomorrows will come and tomorrows can change many things, even for those who feel an economic elite-ness today.
I'd gather there are some who read these threads, even while they contemplate whether or not to go seek out additional work income to meet their needs and wants.
that's why I repeated:
"Retired, its cheaper than working, is for some as much a question, as it is for some a statement for a great many people." It's easy, let those who read what may apply to them have opportunity to do so, while you may want to only read what applies to you. It's a big world- have compassion's for the broad range of conditions as to what is the cost and expense of being retired and if it is more or less costly. It is certain, everyone who reads content is not as fortunate as those who challenge thread content.
It would be great if everyone was as fortunate to say its cheaper than working.

I visit senior retired persons facilities very very often, I see first hand the things I address, I also visit assisted living facilities of retired persons, as well as speak with the administrators, who speak about the expense and what many find as economic challenge to cover expenses.
Some have spoke of Medicare and it's parts, I'd say many may want to read those materials, understand the cost and limitations, as well as areas which address limited retirement income persons.

Compassion must be broad to go beyond ones own conditions and situations. Information can be hope for some and understanding for others, it can be many things when dealing with life and its expenses, be it surpluses or deficits as it relates to income within retirement.

"Merry Christmas and A Happy and Prosperous New Year to All"
C&C: I understand your point and frustration. It is a problem sometimes with posts as they often times apply to only a select segment of the retirement population. People often tend to post question like this which reflect their own experience and it can appear to others reading the post that their situation must be universal to all retirees, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I have gotten into it sometimes when posts have gone on a while without considering that what they may be discussing does not apply to a large majority of retirees, as they were not so fortunate in their life with having the right jobs or higher income to support their message.

Just need to understand that it is natural for people to express their own situations and are looking to share with others who may be able to relate.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:26 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,213,693 times
Quote:
People often tend to post question like this which reflect their own experience and it can appear to others reading the post that their situation must be universal to all retirees, which couldn't be further from the truth.
Exactly !!!!!

Quote:
Just need to understand that it is natural for people to express their own situations and are looking to share with others who may be able to relate.
Understood, but they can't control when others speak of realities which does not fit their ideals. Broader considerations of others is always a good thing, even those who are doing well today, could find themselves in very different and possible adverse situations, "that's all I'm saying" and One should never get so high on themselves they can't see the bigger picture. Nothing I've said prohibited them from continuing to address their interest, but don't be so adamant in aim to deny others the right to see a broader picture. I'm not frustrated with them, If anything I feel pity for their lack of compassion's for others. I've received positive reps, on some of the postings which means others less fortunate also read these post.
Thank you, Modhatter I'm done with the post, I've addressed much with aim and intent to help those who are less fortunate know people can understand why they may have a different experience, as well as it can be beneficial to some who are doing well today, of which tomorrow may change their dynamics.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 12-26-2015 at 07:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement