Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 01:49 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I went to the gym yesterday and saw a seniors spinning class on the schedule. I looked in the classroom and most were probably well into their 60s and some were probably in their 70s. They were remaining physically active and getting good exercise, big factors in keeping people well.

It seems that many of the seniors I've known have been pretty healthy and active at 70. While most people have aches and pains and some medical conditions, many 70 year olds these days are in reasonably good shape. However, by the time a person reaches 80 (should they reach it), that once vibrant 70 year old is likely to be going downhill - it's pretty rare to see an active and pretty healthy octogenarian.

Does anyone else notice the pronounced decline from 70 to 80?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 01:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I'm turning 70 next year. I'll watch for it.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:03 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Interesting, you always seem to have these little scenarios to tell and they always conveniently have to do with seniors. And then of course a question you want answered here. Just a curiosity but what really is behind all of it? .

Old 12-07-2015, 03:19 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,256 times
Default .

My mother is 87 years old. She does 2 hours of zumba, water aerobics, and strength training a day through the silver sneakers program. She also walks a lot, and when she does, if her grandkids are with her they say 'Gigi, slow down. You're walking too fast."

She worked throughout most of her 70's as an rn. she became a nudist at 82 after my dad died. She travels extensively and stays up late but never has to take a nap in the day [ I do] I would be surprised if my mother did not stay [extremely] active until the day she dies or only very shortly before.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:22 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
I'd think it would be a fair statement to say that most of us between our birth and death will be experiencing some discomfort, the fact that a person makes it to seventy is a kind of accomplishment in and of itself, discomfort and all. That said however, those years between seventy and eighty, according to the stats, can include our expiration date. In light of that most know there will be some disability in that time span..

Old 12-07-2015, 03:41 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,380,343 times
Well, I think your observation is accurate. My family doctor told me that most of his patients who are in relatively good shape stay in good shape and happy and active through their 70's -- barring a major health problem -- but that starting at 80 there is a yearly decline. We can all do the best we can to put off the inevitable -- but things such as vision and balance and arthritis and stamina start to take their toll. Best to do all your major traveling and bucket list items before 80 in my opinion. Of course there are always exceptions to every scenario -- but I have found my doctor to be pretty accurate in just my own observations of family members.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:58 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Well the actuarial tables say a substantial percentage of Americans currently in their 70s won't make it out of their 70s alive.

The stats don't lie.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
For some reason I have 83 as my date with the afterworld. Sounds good to just brush past 80 but not get into the old-old ages of 85-90. I don't want to live that long. If I make it to 83 I'll get to see my grandtwins graduate from high school. That's good enough for me.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:35 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I went to the gym yesterday and saw a seniors spinning class on the schedule. I looked in the classroom and most were probably well into their 60s and some were probably in their 70s. They were remaining physically active and getting good exercise, big factors in keeping people well.

It seems that many of the seniors I've known have been pretty healthy and active at 70. While most people have aches and pains and some medical conditions, many 70 year olds these days are in reasonably good shape. However, by the time a person reaches 80 (should they reach it), that once vibrant 70 year old is likely to be going downhill - it's pretty rare to see an active and pretty healthy octogenarian.

Does anyone else notice the pronounced decline from 70 to 80?
I don't know, I see a lot of folks around here who are active physically and mentally, and I'm surprised when they tell me they are in their mid to late 70's. Physical decline is part of nature as one gets up there, so I'm not surprised to see the decline as one nears and gets into their 80's, but I'd hope that being physically and mentally active would slow this decline, at least to some extent. Where I see the real physical decline (and sometimes mentally, but not always), is once folks get into their 80's and beyond, as you have mentioned.

I think most seniors have aches and pains, and medical conditions to some extent, but if it's possible to work around them, treat them as they can be treated, and maintain a positive attitude ( and I've seen quite a few folks in this boat- me too), hopefully we can make the most of the years we have left- even once we. At least that is my perspective at age 68.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:40 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
my mom is in her 90s, but I will be glad to make it to 75. I'm in good shape, but who wants to drag it out - lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement