U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:54 AM

688 posts, read 864,694 times

Advertisements

I have a female friend in early 50's- twenty years younger than I. we met in book group, and have known each other about 4 years. we have little in common although I don't necessarily think that's due primarily to age. she loves being on the go, does not enjoy being at home for any extended period, loves broadway shows, exploring anything new, and, in my opinion, has a rather unrealistic view of life. we do some lunches, breakfasts, occasional dinners,but I feel she sees me as more of a friend than I see her .even when I was her age, her lifestyle would not have appealed to me, so age is not the determining factor here as far as friendship. regardless of her active lifestyle, I see her as a somewhat unhappy person, and I think her" attraction " to me as a friend is that I seem to take on the role of social worker with her, frequently, when she lets down her guard and wishes to discuss the less satisfying parts of her life.

I also have a younger male friend, late forties, who was a former student of my husband's and who as a teenager, did housesitting for us often. we have kept in touch over the years,even after my husband's death, although we don't live near each other and don' t see each other often. he grew up in a neighborhood near and similar to mine, attended the same schools, as I had, and was the only child of older parents, as I was. we have similar values, he is insightful about people as well as himself,and is extremely articulate. regardless of the age differences, I think we both feel comfortable with each other, we know where the other came from, and we have similar views of the world. I enjoy seeing him when he visits and age is not something I really consider as a hugely significant factor in the relationship.

I've had other more casual and fleeting relationships with younger women and men over the years, but most were in the context of a music group or performance, and only one or two lasted beyond the musical experience.

catsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 08:04 AM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Almost all my friends are my age (late 60s) or younger (mid 40s thru early 60s). Off-hand I can think only of a 2-3 who are older.
We entertain and socialize with our sons' 30-something friends as often as with our own friends though, and we have more than 30 nieces and nephews in their 20s-40s so there are always younger people around. We enjoy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or