U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 08:01 PM

168 posts, read 129,929 times

Advertisements

Well....not a real one...but it was much more fun.

My daughter and family were invited to a holiday party that my 7 year old granddaughter did not want to attend so I offered to watch her at home. After they left Layla decided we needed to ride some rollercoasters. Buckling me safely into my seat of the couch and carefully placing pillows around me she then started spinning in the middle of the room like a whirling dervish.

"
We' re going on space mountain don't get wet! We're going on the super do operating looper now with 10 loops!"

After riding on all the coasters, getting dizzy and sick to our tummies, we settled down to watch Christmas movies. Getting a little tired she snuggles with me on the couch saying "I'm glad I stayed home and we got some alone time. Just Grammy and granddaughter. " Then she falls asleep on my lap until Dad and Mom get home and carry her to bed.

Sigh....I am truly blest.

Now your turn to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 08:02 AM

11,419 posts, read 20,274,985 times
There is a chat thread.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:01 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,599,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
There is a chat thread.
Sorry, I never look at the chat thread. Maybe I should but if it had been there I would have missed this wonderful note. Sounded like so much fun. Usually roller coasters with my GD means the real thing!

Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 AM

446 posts, read 281,862 times
What a lovely evening. And I find this pertinent, particularly in relation to all the threads about whether to move near children. This is a great example of how being with a grandchild has enriched a grandmother's life. We have family gathering for Christmas, and I wish for everybody on the retirement forum that we all have these cherished moments, whether with friends or relatives, or a moment of peace and contentment by yourself in your home.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:42 PM

168 posts, read 129,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
There is a chat thread.
Just wanted to share a joy of retirement hoping others would join in. There can be so much satisfaction in our retirement from the little things that have no monetary price tag. I wanted to share those types of retirement experiences.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:09 PM

19,842 posts, read 18,867,840 times
Sounds like what we used to call a Kodak Moment. Beautiful.

I never had kids but my dh has a 6 month old grandson in England. Makes me wish we were there for Christmas.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:46 PM

1,164 posts, read 650,159 times
That sounds wonderful. My times with DGKids are usually a little tamer. Walks to the local playground, coloring books at the kitchen counter. These are priceless memories.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:13 AM

18,110 posts, read 22,968,690 times
I don't have grandkids, but this reminds me of my Sunday "picnics" with my daughter when I was a poor working mom. This was back when there were afternoon old Tarzan shows on TV on Sundays. I'd buy us a pizza at the local pizzeria, and we'd put a blanket on the living room floor and have our pizza picnic while watching Tarzan.

I also used to pay for a trip on the local bus. She rode free and I think my fare was 50 cents. We'd just ride the bus round trip. She thought it was a grand adventure.

Kids are so easy to please when they're little, and eager to share their simple bliss.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:23 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,062,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suevee View Post
Well....not a real one...but it was much more fun.

My daughter and family were invited to a holiday party that my 7 year old granddaughter did not want to attend so I offered to watch her at home. After they left Layla decided we needed to ride some rollercoasters. Buckling me safely into my seat of the couch and carefully placing pillows around me she then started spinning in the middle of the room like a whirling dervish.

"
We' re going on space mountain don't get wet! We're going on the super do operating looper now with 10 loops!"

After riding on all the coasters, getting dizzy and sick to our tummies, we settled down to watch Christmas movies. Getting a little tired she snuggles with me on the couch saying "I'm glad I stayed home and we got some alone time. Just Grammy and granddaughter. " Then she falls asleep on my lap until Dad and Mom get home and carry her to bed.

Sigh....I am truly blest.

Now your turn to share.

lemme guess, you ate and ate at a hot dog stand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement