U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,942,101 times

Advertisements

Hey, if they offer I will gladly take!
Gimme my discount!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
Our nearest grocery store is an 'IGA', they offer a 'Senior Discount' every Tuesday for everyone over 55. I do our grocery shopping and most of our cooking, my weekly routine now is to go grocery shopping on Tuesdays. It is like 5%. I see a lot of retirees doing it.

My wife works at the Commissary on-base in the city 25 miles away. Over the years, she has rotated around through all of their internal departments. She has been their Produce Manager, she was a meat-cutter, but mostly she is comfortable working the warehouse and loading dock. Being a servicemember we can shop there, and since she is there 5 days a week, for any sale items she has access to any good deals they have. But overall there are only a couple things priced lower on-base [coffee, beef and booze]. For most things we get lower prices in civilian grocery stores, and now with the 'Senior Discount' on Tuesdays. It has became very rare for us to get anything on-base other than coffee and booze. Nothing against the beef, but I breed pigs and our freezers are full of pork, so we rarely eat any beef.

Many of the restaurants around here offer a military discount of 10%. I just show them my Navy ID card. Also some 'big box' hardware stores offer a military discount. [Lowes gives discounts that are calculated differently for each item, the discounts range from 10% to 15%]

Old 12-22-2015, 08:56 AM

10,307 posts, read 11,223,308 times
Sorry, I guess I missed the post where someone explained why charging people below a certain age extra is fair.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:24 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,402,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Sorry, I guess I missed the post where someone explained why charging people below a certain age extra is fair.

no need to be sorry...it's there- you must have just forgot you read it- just a sign you're closer to your discount

(#youshouldknowbynownothingisfair)

Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,271,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, he didn't deserve a tip. This is serious stuff.

I need to move somewhere that has these senior discounts that I keep reading about. I've never had a senior discount in a restaurant. I really, really wanted a senior discount on the Nova Scotia cruise ship (that has now gone out of business because it was so expensive that the ship was usually partially empty! I asked on the phone, I emailed them--see what they get for not listening? Seniors used to love to go to Nova Scotia so they could have filled that ship easily.)

I wanted a senior discount on the musical White Christmas because two $95 tickets plus the cost of getting up to New Hampshire, paying for parking, meal, etc. is too steep a price for us right now.

I guess I did get a senior discount a few times at the drive through for MacDonalds on coffee. So I don't have a story about senior discounts. If I can ever find a place that gives them, I'll talk about it.
You usually have to ask if they have any kind of discounts. Sometimes it's just a reduced price like here at Mc'd's senior coffee is .65c. Free senior drinks at Taco Bell. Most places do not automatically give it to you. A lot of restaurants and buffets offer 10% to seniors 65 and older. I don't mind asking and the
overall savings really adds up in a year.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:25 AM

480 posts, read 399,785 times
All the contractors on Angie's List state they have a senior discount.

Then when you get your bill and ask where is the discount, they say "But I gave you the Angie's List discount. I can't give you TWO discounts."

So it is just a scam. I don't think they charge any less for your having used Angie's List, either!

Old 12-22-2015, 10:48 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
In 2008, I was in Springfield MO. I went to a Wendy's to get some dinner, before hitting the theater to see "Cloverfield" I made my order and the cashier rang it up and then I saw "Total $7.89....SNR Disc...$1.18 (15%)"

Now at this time, I was 48. But longer hair, beard streaked with gray.....Now I do my level best to get the discount (Since I am now 55....Shop at places where my age gets me some reductions....)

Have a similar or even funnier story?
I was working and ate at Wendy's almost every day because it was nearby. Heard they had a Senior discount so I asked about it and what age it covered. Manager was waiting on me so he asked if I could prove I was old enough to get the discount to which I asked, "Would you like to see my driver's license?" I got the discount.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:17 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,115,122 times
Quartzite, AZ sits next to I-10 in Arizona, and plays host to RVers...many of whom are no spring chickens. I pulled into a fast food place and walked inside. At 54, I was the youngest person in there by about 15 years or so. When I got my order, the cashier said "I gave you the senior discount. You saved $1.49." I would have understood if he had been in his teens or twenties, but he was about 45 years old himself. I thanked him and tucked the receipt with the "senior discount" in my pocket so I could show my Significant Other when I returned to L.A. It is still posted on a board in our kitchen, eight years later.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:37 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,328,399 times
I was in Phoenix, AZ, on vacation. I stopped by a TJ Maxx one Tuesday morning and found a pair of tennis shoes my size. A male clerk walked by and told me that the shoes were 10% off that day. He eventually checked me out at purchase. I went outside and that's when I saw the sign in the store's window that stated seniors 55+ get 10% off their purchase every Tuesday. I was only 38 years old.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:07 PM

610 posts, read 367,149 times
Default Fair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

You won't get that explanation. This is a forum for retirees, and I don't believe anyone over the age of twelve thinks that "fair" is a factor in the business world.

OTOH, I like this one:
No Senior Citizens Discounts - You Have Had Twice As Long To Get The Money - Funpicc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement