U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 AM

21 posts, read 14,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Let's see how you feel after 11 weeks ,11 months , 11 years . Nothing to do and no where to go can get to be a drag.
The key is not to have "nothing to do and nowhere to go". Replace the work hours with other things...
read, take classes, travel, visit friends, go to the gym....etc etc.

I will have absolutely no problem filling up the day since I retired yesterday. Wish I could have done it sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:59 AM

746 posts, read 483,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavak View Post
I retired Dec 31 2015 and the first day I did not have to go to work was yesterday (Sunday).
I wish I could have retired sooner!
I was tired of my job, tired of commuting an hour each way. Tired of not having time to do things I
really wanted to do while "young" (61).

I will miss the people I worked with , but that's it. I can keep in touch with them and go out
to lunch with them if I want.

People do not think less of you if you retire, they are usually envious and ask how you managed to do it
Congratulations! Enjoy your new found freedom.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 PM

7,261 posts, read 4,147,049 times
As soon as the last door closed behind me I was totally adjusted to retirement. It's been almost two years now and I haven't missed working one single time. And I didn't have a bad job and I certainly didn't hate it, but after a lifetime of working I was ready for retirement.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:36 AM

18,548 posts, read 9,592,797 times
So far have been retired for 2 weeks and I haven't missed work, been too busy visiting with family (holidays of course) and planning life after work. Adjusting to being with wife 24X7.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:03 PM

285 posts, read 141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The best way to not miss work is to replace your cherished work mates with new play mates.

Don't be lonely.

Reach out. Volunteer to help others.

Human beings, like dogs are social animals.
Cherished work mates? Do that many people actually like their coworkers?

If I were to retire tomorrow, I wouldn't miss any of my coworkers. I'd be thrilled to not have to deal with them anymore.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:17 AM

4,845 posts, read 4,959,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
Cherished work mates? Do that many people actually like their coworkers?

If I were to retire tomorrow, I wouldn't miss any of my coworkers. I'd be thrilled to not have to deal with them anymore.
I actually do miss them. While working together, we developed deep respect for each other. As they too retire, we keep in touch.

Perhaps it is because we have so much in common. We are all well educated engineers who share common problems and we're good at working those out. The too common generalization that engineers are all self-absorbed loners is just wrong.

I still meet regularly with them for coffee, lunch or beers. I guess I'm just a lucky guy.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:24 AM

3,696 posts, read 1,872,421 times
I do not feel I will miss many of the folks I currently work with. We are work pals. A few are my FB friends, but I would not socialize with them.

12/21/17 can't come fast enough. Leaving on a road trip the NEXT day 12/22. Visiting relatives for Christmas.

I am super excited! No more 5:15 am get-ups!!!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 AM

659 posts, read 325,222 times
I miss my paycheck; but hated my job so no I have no desire to return to work in the industry I worked in.
Consider going to back to school (Community College) to help fill your time; and tapping into their non-credit or certificate courses. There are several less than 1 year programs that train you to do a new job, if that is what you'd like to try.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:51 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,244,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I do not feel I will miss many of the folks I currently work with. We are work pals. A few are my FB friends, but I would not socialize with them.

12/21/17 can't come fast enough. Leaving on a road trip the NEXT day 12/22. Visiting relatives for Christmas.

I am super excited! No more 5:15 am get-ups!!!

Congratulations to you -- I hope the time goes fast.

I will be right behind you at 1/31/18

Old 08-03-2017, 12:03 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,452,633 times
Missing work is one of the very last things I would ever do! I haven't missed work for even a second!

I love getting up when I feel like, and having nothing I need to do, and being able to do whatever I feel like doing!

The OP sounds like he probably had an interesting job which involved a lot of travel, international travel, deep expertise, and some particularly satisfying aspects - so maybe, OP, you might miss some aspects of your job.

However, you are retiring early in your 50's, so there are probably some reasons why you're retiring.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or