U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:44 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
normally when you are on vacation you don't get fully into the vacation until the 2nd week. Unfortunately, you always know in the back of your mind that you will go back to work.

imagine that feeling only you know you won't be going back. it took me a year to get over that feeling that I would be going back to work.

after 2.5 years I went back for a temporary job to make some spending money and now can't over the feeling that I shouldn't be back at work. my mind is no longer prepared for work and my body doesn't want to sit still for 8 hours. with a break for lunch.
Uh oh! You live in the Ozarks just as we do in SW Missouri, down on Table Rock Lake just five miles as the crow flies from the Arkansas border. The Ozarks is one of the most restful, comfortable and stress-free places I've ever lived after eight other states and three other countries. It should be a piece of cake to give up that work like your mind and body are telling you to. I strongly recommend listening to them. You'll be glad you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:34 PM

21,848 posts, read 14,356,798 times
I have been retired for 9 years. I feel that I de-stressed pretty quickly, but I also found that I dwelled mentally in my workplace for quite awhile. I suspect that many people have been traumatized by their careers, and that it takes a few years to finally get to a different place mentally. There are some who can disengage easily, but for me doing this took awhile.

If we accept the gift of retirement, we have time to rediscover ourselves as we are, minus the deadlines, expectations and work schedules.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:38 PM

7,236 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Once that last door closed behind me on my last day of work I was in full retirement mode. Not that work stressed me out, but I was just ready for retirement. It's been over a year and a half now and I don't have a single regret.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
Default False dichotomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
^This...and how emotionally connected one was to their job or defined themselves by their occupation.

For me this was never an issue as I always kept my work and my private life very separate....never took the job or work home with me and was very cognizant to treat it exactly for what it was....A JOB...not something to take over my life or interrupt my home life/family....that always came first.

Some are unable to "see the forest but for the trees" and wind up not only defining themselves by their careers but also neglecting the important things in life such as their families, friends, etc. (as well as their own well being due to job stresses they place on themselves). Only then realize too late that they gave up a good portion of their lives and quality time with their loved ones to work & slave at a job where they were just a replaceable cog in a machine and the major concern of management when they left was finding a replacement (cheaper & if possible under the minimum hrs or hiring 2 part timers in the retiring person's place so they could pay less & didn't have to offer benefits) ......Really very sad lesson learned too late for many when you think about it.
One can have a meaningful, significant career without neglecting one's home life and family. One does not have to have a "job" (as opposed to a career or profession) in order to have quality time with family, friends, and loved ones.

Of course there are people, workaholics, who do in fact sacrifice family life for achievement, as described in the post above. But it is not an either/or choice, thank heavens, because it would preclude the deep pleasure and gratification of making real contributions during one's working life. It is really sad to think of people who worked for decades but derived no pleasure, no satisfaction from that work. Think of all that time wasted! Not wasted in the financial sense because the job presumably fulfilled its basic function of putting food on the table and a roof over the head of the family, but wasted in the sense of fulfillment of human potential.

Work is part of life, not separate from it. The Lebanese poet Khalil Gibran wrote, "Work is love made visible".

Old 01-10-2016, 09:12 PM
JRR

3,677 posts, read 2,224,193 times
For me, I turned in my badge and drove to a restaurant to meet my wife for dinner. By the time I got there, my work related stress was gone forever.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:29 PM

7,236 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
For me, I turned in my badge and drove to a restaurant to meet my wife for dinner. By the time I got there, my work related stress was gone forever.
What took so long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or