U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 04:05 PM

197 posts, read 161,121 times

Advertisements

Forgive me, but I feel that in future if the OP clarifies what parameters of response she hopes for in her first post then she might be less frustrated by hearing what she obviously doesn't want to hear.

Of course that might limit the discussion somewhat given that we are a disparate bunch!

IMO a thread will develop a life of its own and there is no point letting it bother us by giving somewhat cranky responses.

Once we post on a public forum we lose control although correcting factual errors is usually useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 04:23 PM

4,684 posts, read 3,254,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgirl49 View Post
Forgive me, but I feel that in future if the OP clarifies what parameters of response she hopes for in her first post then she might be less frustrated by hearing what she obviously doesn't want to hear.

Of course that might limit the discussion somewhat given that we are a disparate bunch!

IMO a thread will develop a life of its own and there is no point letting it bother us by giving somewhat cranky responses.

Once we post on a public forum we lose control although correcting factual errors is usually useful.

I have heard from different posters that I post too much about that.

Guess I can't please everyone??

I guess I don't understand why you don't get that from the original post. Oh well.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I feel as if people aren't getting the point. Giving suggestions as to what the op should do when she has stated many times that she has to get out of debt first is insane.

She does not have the money to travel until that is taken care of. But, she can take your suggestions & write them down for future reference.

Thank you meo92953. I appreciate the fact that you do understand it.

Also, don't people just dream anymore? Dream about what you wish you could do, etc. Doesn't mean you are going to do it. Some people wish they could win the lottery. How many of them actually do?

Old 12-23-2015, 04:33 PM

197 posts, read 161,121 times
Of course you can dream. You are a good person and you can dream.

Maybe the people whose responses you take exception to are just dreaming too...on your behalf.

Have a contented and peaceful Christmas.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:42 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,157,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

If you want to stay in coastal California, have you considered () Orange County, specifically, Laguna Woods? OC is expensive, but it's nothing like it is where you live.

You could sell your Bay Area home and purchase a LW condo for $200K. The only hitch is that HOA fees will probably be around $600/month.

https://www.redfin.com/city/9968/CA/...6&market=socal

What's more, there is senior housing in Irvine and other cities down here, including new construction in Aliso Viejo:
USA Properties Fund :: Vintage Aliso

Vintage Aliso Senior Apartments
"Currently under construction, the 202-unit apartment community located at 2C Liberty, near the intersection of Liberty and Aliso Viejo Parkway in the City of Aliso Viejo.

The four story center loaded corridor building will be operated as an affordable senior residential facility with 18 one bedroom, and 184 two bedroom units. Twenty one units are proposed as affordable to residents at 50% of median income with one hundred seventy nine units affordable to residents at 60% of median income.

On site amenities include a swimming pool, community garden, recreation center, exercise equipment, and pet washing station.

When residents begin to occupy the project, USA inaugurates activities and social programs that become the heart and soul of the community. For the most part, these activities are held within the large fully equipped community room or within the outdoor garden space."

I assume you are probably familiar with it, but if not, this general area is half-way between LA and San Diego.
For me to make the numbers work for OC or anywhere decent in SoCal (e.g. I'm not planning to go for the desert or far inland at this time) I would need a windfall between now and retirement. The difference in home values is not sufficient to make the numbers. We could have done something a couple years ago but prices in SoCal came up too much since then.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Of course you can dream. You are a good person and you can dream.

Maybe the people whose responses you take exception to are just dreaming too...on your behalf.

Have a contented and peaceful Christmas.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, too.

May 2016 be a year of wonderful peace for all.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:03 PM

4,981 posts, read 3,468,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you meo92953. I appreciate the fact that you do understand it.

Also, don't people just dream anymore? Dream about what you wish you could do, etc. Doesn't mean you are going to do it. Some people wish they could win the lottery. How many of them actually do?
Oh yeah. I know I'm part Irish, because of my father's mother, & I know I am part Swiss, because of my grandfather.

For sure 1/2 is Norwegian. Both of my mother's grandparents were born here in Minnesota. I would love to visit both Ireland & Norway. Will I? I have no idea. I study both countries but is that something I will invest my money in? I don't know.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:13 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,352,704 times
Quote:

I took the OP to mean we should share our own ruminations regarding our own retirements... how it has or has not worked out for the rest of us. She did say "it's where I am at right now. Where are you?"

But I agree with you that threads do seem to take on a life of their own. Just like a conversation among a group of people does in real life encounters.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:12 PM

^^^^^^ Yes, thank you.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:54 AM

14,423 posts, read 7,937,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The other day I realized I had passed my 5 year retirement anniversary at the beginning of December. Until now I hadn't wanted to do anything that might require a commitment or which might seem like work... like volunteering somewhere. I think I might finally be getting to the point where I might want to get involved in something on a regular basis. I think I am finally used to being retired.

I've only been retired for nearly 5 months and I'm already "used to it." I quit my job on a bit of a whim with the thought of getting another one once I detoxed from the stress of working nights and double shifts. I've come to realize that I do not want to work anymore and it took me way less then five years to adjust to loving my freedom. I'm still not ready to be involved with anything that has to do with anything involving structure and time constraints either, except for roller skating with the sexy seniors on Friday mornings. I'm fine tuning the art of learning how to just be. I have this dream of building a tiny house on a lake in Maine and renting it out during the tourist season and living in it over the winter months. John does not share that dream. He wants to move to Maine and sell everything here. John is also not well informed about selling income property and the tax consequences of doing so. Nor has he ever been involved with managing the money and the huge responsibility that comes along with it. He's more of the dreamer in our marriage. I'm also getting a ration of guilt from the kids in our life and from all of my friends begging me not to go. We do have a great life here and we live in Mayberry. Our neighbors are like family now and there is something to be said for living in a town where you know most of the police department by their first name, and many of the business owners as well. Each of us has to find what their ideal is in life and retirement. We also have to learn to appreciate what is familiar and not mistake it for boredom and the grass is greener scenario. Happiness comes from within and can be found no matter where you live. It's just that sometimes it's easier with the familiar and decades old relationships. The call of Maine is still with me and some day the timing may be right to move there, but for now it's just too complicated. I simply just don't want to think about anything but having fun for awhile either. I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase of retirement and the giddy excitement of this total freedom that I only had brief glimpses of during my working years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement