U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 10:12 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,012,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Do any of you get the part where I say I have a financial problem???? Sure, travel from here to Miami. Sell my car. Hop a plane (how do I pay for the ticket?).
I get that your finances are a major factor. do you own or rent?

have you had a look at the many top 10 lists of cities in which to retire?

I lived in Rockland County NY and it quickly got too expensive to live there so we sold our house and relocated to a cheaper place. We made that choice well before retirement age.

it can be done but finances are certainly key. i'm sure living in the northeast is not cheap (btdt) but as I suspect you already know, NC is not so cheap anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 10:28 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I get that your finances are a major factor. do you own or rent?

have you had a look at the many top 10 lists of cities in which to retire?

I lived in Rockland County NY and it quickly got too expensive to live there so we sold our house and relocated to a cheaper place. We made that choice well before retirement age.

it can be done but finances are certainly key. i'm sure living in the northeast is not cheap (btdt) but as I suspect you already know, NC is not so cheap anymore.
Thank you for your thoughts.

I did discover that NC is not a low COL place (of course, there are areas of NC where it might be lower than in other areas). But I've kind of made up my mind I'm staying here. At least for now. Mainly due to finances. But a long time ago I relocated with lousy results and was able to return the following year.

There are so many interesting (to me) places in our country. So home base is here and when money is better, visits to other places are planned.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:31 AM

362 posts, read 334,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
What I'm wishing for is a VBGF....
What is this VBGF? I assume it's not the Von Bertalanffy Growth Function that comes up in the results when I google it.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:34 AM

animalcrazy: I loved your post #51. You have a good sense of what is right for you and what you want. While Maine still calls you, I thought it was NC for me. Visited a few times. Really thought of moving there. But for some good solid reasons (not enough $ being one of them), I decided I'm staying put, at least for now.

Nothing is written in cement, as the saying goes. If you change your mind at some point, you have the freedom to do that. Be true to yourself. Do whatever is right for you. You will not regret it.

Dreaming is a gift. Never lose it.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:06 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
What is this VBGF? I assume it's not the Von Bertalanffy Growth Function that comes up in the results when I google it.
I want to know too! Virtual Best girl frined??

Old 12-24-2015, 01:28 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,724,705 times
I believe many of us have unfulfilled dreams. My retirement did not turn out as planned. I am not entirely happy, but then I will not allow myself to be totally unhappy either. Wherever we wind up, we must find a way to accept it and still be happy. My unhappiness involves illness of a loved one that requires me to preserve my retirement funds for when I am gone.

If this had not happened, I would love to be traveling across the country in the MOST COMFORTABLE RV known to man with an un-dead husband and my loving dog. But I don't think it healthy to spend too much time dwelling on what could have been. I occasionally will click on a blog by some wondering soul or couple and follow their journey and delight in their new experiences.

I have had the opportunist to see a number of places in the US in my younger years, and a few over seas as well, so I have not been "stuck" in one place like so many people are. I just think some of us have more "gypsy" spirit in their souls than others and crave new and different experiences. I have moved and lived in many different places due to this malady.

So, dream on. Your mind can take you lots of places your wallet can't.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:38 PM

6,125 posts, read 9,083,586 times
Very Big Girl Friend ?????

Old 12-24-2015, 01:44 PM

modhatter: Your post #57 is an excellent read.

I am so sorry you have lost your husband. And for the person/people in your life who will need your retirement money after you pass, I am also sorry you are dealing with that sadness. And last but not least your dog. It seems a lot has been taken away from you.

You have a wonderful attitude. It does take time to accept your "new" life, changed so much from what you dreamed of. But your adjustment seems pure, you can find happiness in other things.

I do have the gypsy in my soul, too. When I was still a young kid I used to wonder what it would be like to get in someone else's car/truck and see where they were going. Of course, dangerous but didn't think of those things back then. I just saw an adventure I wanted to be on.

I hope you continue to dream, too.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:36 AM

13,668 posts, read 8,577,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
..................I hope you continue to dream, too.
Dreams. What good are we without them?

When I first met my wife, she told me I was a dreamer. I am, too. But many of my dreams came true, not because of some serendipitous piece of luck, but because I dreamed long enough to make them happen. Some of them took years, some failed, and some were fairly easy. But they all started as dreams - wide awake, staring into space, dreams.

I would be disappointed in someone at my funeral said I had achieved all my dreams. God, I HOPE I have some that are unfulfilled! I hope that someone remembers that I never got to do this thing or that thing.

When I was a young man my dreams got me into trouble, and thank God those days are gone! Every 15 year old boy dreams of leaving home and going out west "to work", but I was silly enough to do it! I dreamed of going off to war.....OOPS. After that, I began to mature a bit.

NYgal has her dreams and I have mine and I hope everyone out there has theirs. People without dreams remind me of a discarded bicycle. People with dreams FLY!

Old 12-26-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Dreams. What good are we without them?

When I first met my wife, she told me I was a dreamer. I am, too. But many of my dreams came true, not because of some serendipitous piece of luck, but because I dreamed long enough to make them happen. Some of them took years, some failed, and some were fairly easy. But they all started as dreams - wide awake, staring into space, dreams.

I would be disappointed in someone at my funeral said I had achieved all my dreams. God, I HOPE I have some that are unfulfilled! I hope that someone remembers that I never got to do this thing or that thing.

When I was a young man my dreams got me into trouble, and thank God those days are gone! Every 15 year old boy dreams of leaving home and going out west "to work", but I was silly enough to do it! I dreamed of going off to war.....OOPS. After that, I began to mature a bit.

NYgal has her dreams and I have mine and I hope everyone out there has theirs. People without dreams remind me of a discarded bicycle. People with dreams FLY!

Just read this..... great post. You are so right, what good are we without dreams??? Old and dried up and dead, I think. Dreaming keeps me alive and hopeful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement