U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 05:19 AM

7,980 posts, read 11,661,322 times

Advertisements

I'm extremely frustrated as I've mentioned before.
I've not seen much and want to. I am alone and theoretically should be able to make something happen.

1) thought of RVing for a few years but even though I love to camp and my goal would be to see all the natural wonder of the US vice the cities I like to wander during the day which would require towing a vehicle or a 5th wheel. It just feels like a drag, I dont really like driving with trailers that much, then there is all the trying to figure out how to get internet, stream and it gets technical and complicated. So I put this aside somewhat reluctantly because I think you meet more people in friendly outgoing mode when camping and I find it hard to to meet people.

2) I've thought of just breaking down the essentials to a small uhaul/toy hauler and doing month to month rentals or sublets in areas I want to explore. Olympia National Park, Montana, Big Bend etc. Do it till I feel like stopping and decide where to land based on what I've seen. I think this sounds very me honestly. I like to go out during the day and explore natural areas and come home to a comfy chair, good cable package and the internet. This would be sort of like...serial apt camping.

3) House sitting. I'm independent, good with animals. I could take care of someone's horses and goats in Montana for a few weeks.
https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/...gston/l/21907/
Have a base apt somewhere and......

So at 60 I figure I have about 5-7 years to make this work. At 70 people are looking at condo's and while its hard to imagine I know I'm no different than anyone else.

Having always had animals in 2006 when I gave up my last foster dog I said no more. I want to be mobile and travel on vacation, quit stiff arming work trips, see some places and figure out where to go. Because when I have pets I find it hard to vacation or leave them. Its hard to find responsible people and expensive. Its hard on the animals.

But my current apt was swarmed with feral cats and I got stuck very unwillingly and still very unwillingly with 2 kittens (now 3 and 5) and one feral still left.
It would be very hard to do with cats.

The world is so overfilled with cats. These no kill shelters warehouse cats for years. I want to beat to a pulp the weak selfish irresponsible people who don't spay neuter and cause so much misery for so many animal and human alike.

I feel like the last good years of my life are being totally hamstringed and I'm going to end up buying a place somewhere just for these cats. I'm extremely worried about what to do with the feral when I leave.
By the time they die I'll be to old to really travel. I'm between a rock and hard place. I don't want to pick one
place right now.

I'm stuck and pissed.

Last edited by Giesela; 12-27-2015 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 05:41 AM

4,070 posts, read 1,557,370 times
Both our families think we are crazy because my lovely bride and I moved from Ohio to Florida in 2008 and, this past January, moved to Hawaii. Why? Because we wanted to and we could, so we did. We are both knocking on 70's door, and didn't want to do the "shoulda, coulda, woulda" dance. Health permitting, in another year or two, we will probably move again. Or stay here and take the hula and ukulele lessons instead.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:17 AM

6,315 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm extremely frustrated as I've mentioned before.
I've not seen much and want to. I am alone and theoretically should be able to make something happen.

1) thought of RVing for a few years but even though I love to camp and my goal would be to see all the natural wonder of the US vice the cities I like to wander during the day which would require towing a vehicle or a 5th wheel. It just feels like a drag, I dont really like driving with trailers that much, then there is all the trying to figure out how to get internet, stream and it gets technical and complicated. So I put this aside somewhat reluctantly because I think you meet more people in friendly outgoing mode when camping and I find it hard to to meet people.

2) I've thought of just breaking down the essentials to a small uhaul/toy hauler and doing month to month rentals or sublets in areas I want to explore. Olympia National Park, Montana, Big Bend etc. Do it till I feel like stopping and decide where to land based on what I've seen. I think this sounds very me honestly. I like to go out during the day and explore natural areas and come home to a comfy chair, good cable package and the internet. This would be sort of like...serial apt camping.

3) House sitting. I'm independent, good with animals. I could take care of someone's horses and goats in Montana for a few weeks.
https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/...gston/l/21907/
Have a base apt somewhere and......

So at 60 I figure I have about 5-7 years to make this work. At 70 people are looking at condo's and while its hard to imagine I know I'm no different than anyone else.

Having always had animals in 2006 when I gave up my last foster dog I said no more. I want to be mobile and travel on vacation, quit stiff arming work trips, see some places and figure out where to go. Because when I have pets I find it hard to vacation or leave them. Its hard to find responsible people and expensive. Its hard on the animals.

But my current apt was swarmed with feral cats and I got stuck very unwillingly and still very unwillingly with 2 kittens (now 3 and 5) and one feral still left.
It would be very hard to do with cats.

The world is so overfilled with cats. These no kill shelters warehouse cats for years. I want to beat to a pulp the weak selfish irresponsible people who don't spay neuter and cause so much misery for so many animal and human alike.

I feel like the last good years of my life are being totally hamstringed and I'm going to end up buying a place somewhere just for these cats. I'm extremely worried about what to do with the feral when I leave.
By the time they die I'll be to old to really travel. I'm between a rock and hard place. I don't want to pick one
place right now.

I'm stuck and pissed.
I kind of feel stuck too. And like you it is because of animals - dogs and feral cats. Thankfully I have managed to catch the feral females and get them spayed. But can I just leave and let them fend for themselves? They live in the yard and our one acre, but I feed and water them daily. I have 5 "kittens' that I have to find homes for.

I just took in another dog in July. With a total of 8. Four are elderly, so I figure within 5 years I will be down to 4 dogs. This last one is very lively and that has cured me of dogs. No more for me thanks.

I kind of wanted to do what you want - but no RV. Just a nice vehicle and drive around and spend time here and there, but more in the southwest.

Good luck to you

Old 12-27-2015, 09:18 AM

746 posts, read 482,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Very Big Girl Friend ?????
LOL! The only thing I could come up with is "Very Best Girl Friend". So RiverBird, what is it?!

Old 12-27-2015, 09:26 AM

746 posts, read 482,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I took a road trip once. Well, twice.

The first time I was only 15. I stole a car and drove from Alabama to Eads, CO, where a nice friendly Highway Patrolman stopped me. They made me go home. That was in 1961.

The second one started in 1963. Believe it or not, in spite of being a certified juvenile delinquent, I had managed to graduate from high school. So, away I went.
47 years later, in 2010, my road trip finally ended. I found I had visited 49 states (Alaska) and 19 foreign countries.
I probably drove close to 2 million miles, because I drove an 18 wheeler 750,000.
I have been a sailor, and electronics technician, an auto mechanic, a salesman, a business owner and a truck driver. I have flown sailplanes, driven a hydrofoil, flown in the Goodyear Blimp, fought in a war, sailed across the Gulf of Mexico, hiked to the bottom of The Grand Canyon, worked in Argentina and several Caribbean countries, built homes, and even got married. Still am.

Know what? I dream of going again, sometimes.

There is a cure for what ails you, I think.
It is called backpack traveling. I went to Washington DC like that, on the train. And I went to Bermuda, too. Just my carry-on backpack.
Learn to pack everything you need into a backpack. There are plenty of online resources to help you.
Then hop in your car and go. It not ridiculous. My sister, born with the same tumbleweed soul that I have, packed her carry on backpack and spent a week in VietNam. She loved it!

So. Whereyawanna go?
I sing this song sometimes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El9eCRisbDo
Great post! I love that song and the goofy movie too.

I feel like wandering a lot! Feel like it right now, in fact. The weather has been interfering lately though.

We have a dog, so our wandering always includes him. Actually, we haven't been doing much travelling the past few years for one reason or another... work, finances, time, did I mention work? Not retired yet, but I can't wait! I do a lot of wandering in my head these days...

Old 12-27-2015, 10:43 AM

13,664 posts, read 8,577,038 times
I talked with my grandson yesterday.

GS is now 20. He has been a wonderful student and his scholarship is fully paid for by the state; he will repay the state by becoming a teacher in Mississippi for 5 years.

So we were talking about The Gap. He will graduate in May, 2017 and will have to go to work in August. Those are the terms. He can't "take a year off to find himself" (God I hate that term. Why does find yourself involve using someone else's money?) So he has this gap, when he is not working yet and not going to school.

I love backpack traveling. I used to call it knapsack traveling, but that term is not used any more, so "backpack" it is. It's a simple concept. You select your wardrobe based in its ease of maintenance, necessity and physical weight. You select your backpack based on your personal preference and airline carry-on requirements. You plan your trip if you're an old guy like me, or you don't plan it if that suits you better. Then you pack up your bag, and leave. Train; bus; plane; freighter ship; hitchhike - there is a mode of transportation for everyone.

So GS comes to me and asked my advice on this issue of backpack traveling. He can't go to his parents. I don't think they are particularly unusual in that the thought of Junior setting off into the world all alone just scares the bejesus out of them.
He's actually fired up on the idea. He thinks he'd like to buy a pass for Amtrak and set his destination as San Fransisco. Maybe spend a week or even two there, and maybe see a couple more places before heading back home. Salt Lake City; Chicago....he doesn't know.

I will confess to being jealous. I've been to all those places (turned 21 in San Fransisco), but still the thought of being young, educated, and completely without emotional baggage or commitment for just a couple of months......I mean, can you imagine?

I hope he goes. His mother (my stepdaughter) is going to be a little upset with me, but she'll have to let him go sometime, and besides, I think deep down in her heart she wishes she had done something like that. So I hope he goes and I hope he never calls while he is gone. I hope he meets people and has adventures and comes back wanting to do it all over again.

I used my backpack in October. Went to a navy reunion in Kansas City. So I know where it is. And since I am a retired trucker (among other things) I know how to use truckstops to hitchhike and know how to talk shop with other truckers. I know that cheap motels are always next to truckstops and I know how to use the truckstop shower if I'm not staying at the motel.

Dang! I sure wish I was going to San Francisco. I dunno. Maybe I will.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:07 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,855,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I talked with my grandson yesterday.

GS is now 20. He has been a wonderful student and his scholarship is fully paid for by the state; he will repay the state by becoming a teacher in Mississippi for 5 years.

So we were talking about The Gap. He will graduate in May, 2017 and will have to go to work in August. Those are the terms. He can't "take a year off to find himself" (God I hate that term. Why does find yourself involve using someone else's money?) So he has this gap, when he is not working yet and not going to school.

I love backpack traveling. I used to call it knapsack traveling, but that term is not used any more, so "backpack" it is. It's a simple concept. You select your wardrobe based in its ease of maintenance, necessity and physical weight. You select your backpack based on your personal preference and airline carry-on requirements. You plan your trip if you're an old guy like me, or you don't plan it if that suits you better. Then you pack up your bag, and leave. Train; bus; plane; freighter ship; hitchhike - there is a mode of transportation for everyone.

So GS comes to me and asked my advice on this issue of backpack traveling. He can't go to his parents. I don't think they are particularly unusual in that the thought of Junior setting off into the world all alone just scares the bejesus out of them.
He's actually fired up on the idea. He thinks he'd like to buy a pass for Amtrak and set his destination as San Fransisco. Maybe spend a week or even two there, and maybe see a couple more places before heading back home. Salt Lake City; Chicago....he doesn't know.

I will confess to being jealous. I've been to all those places (turned 21 in San Fransisco), but still the thought of being young, educated, and completely without emotional baggage or commitment for just a couple of months......I mean, can you imagine?

I hope he goes. His mother (my stepdaughter) is going to be a little upset with me, but she'll have to let him go sometime, and besides, I think deep down in her heart she wishes she had done something like that. So I hope he goes and I hope he never calls while he is gone. I hope he meets people and has adventures and comes back wanting to do it all over again.

I used my backpack in October. Went to a navy reunion in Kansas City. So I know where it is. And since I am a retired trucker (among other things) I know how to use truckstops to hitchhike and know how to talk shop with other truckers. I know that cheap motels are always next to truckstops and I know how to use the truckstop shower if I'm not staying at the motel.

Dang! I sure wish I was going to San Francisco. I dunno. Maybe I will.
Good for you! Enable him and maybe he will take that chance of a lifetime, "find himself", learn about the real world, how to fend for himself, see new places, meet new people. And more. No wonder he talks about it to you.

I never had that chance after college (to do it using someone else's money, lol) but I worked for a few years and then there was no stopping me. We did that Europe on Five Dollars a Day--if you were around when that book was all the rage. I learned so much on that trip. We never stayed in fancy American style hotels and that was to our advantage because we saw how the people of each country lived. Sometimes we even met people and got to stay in their homes.

We also took the time to travel across the US and back again--this time camping in a tent, seeing most of the national parks on the way, meeting people from all over. That's the time to do it--right out of college or soon thereafter. The experiences you gain while you are still young and impressionable will shape you and educate you like nothing else.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:15 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,760,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you meo92953. I appreciate the fact that you do understand it.

Also, don't people just dream anymore? Dream about what you wish you could do, etc. Doesn't mean you are going to do it. Some people wish they could win the lottery. How many of them actually do?
I dream all the time. I actually did one of your dreams. I retired and moved from NJ to NC. Been here 4 months. I like it a lot. Now Im dreaming again of a new Utopia! HAHA! Look there is not Utopia, Im this for me was a practical move to preserve wealth. I retired young. I do love it here. I also hated NJ. However Im always dreaming and I think without dreams life is not worth living. Listen if you ever want to come you can stay for free I have a whole upstairs for you to sleep /w your own bathroom. Marilyn

Old 12-27-2015, 01:39 PM

890 posts, read 677,224 times
"Dreams are illustrations from the book your soul is writing about you."
Marsha Norman

"The best dream is one where you dream the dream you're living at this very moment will last forever."
borninsac

Last edited by borninsac; 12-27-2015 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 02:45 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,700,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Just sitting here today in front of my computer when I should be doing some domestic work. But it's too fun to read some threads and what people post. Some I learn so much from; others aren't for me. We are all different and that is a good thing. Keeps life interesting.

Anyway, I've mentioned before how I wanted to move to NC. Then life happened and I didn't and it really looks like it won't happen, at least not any time soon.

I have friends in my life who have indicated they would prefer that I did not leave (), but the kid inside of me keeps thinking but I want to go. But where? No longer enchanted with NC, reading all of your posts make so many places so appealing.

In my younger years I wanted to get in the car and go....... drive all over the country. Stop in little towns, get little jobs, live in a room, keep life simple but learn, learn, learn and make so many friends. I still think of that now. Especially if I see a movie of someone doing something similar. I have no family ties to keep me here.

I know this thread if a frivolous one. But it's where I am "at" right now. Where are you??
I would look for large over 55 communities and rent in the off season to see how you like living away from your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement