U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:56 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Just read this..... great post. You are so right, what good are we without dreams??? Old and dried up and dead, I think. Dreaming keeps me alive and hopeful.
NYgal2NC,

I think that it is wonderful that you find dreaming keeps you alive and hopeful. When I was young, I was quite a dreamer too. I dreamed to grow up to be a great poet and a fantastic writer (yes, I spent a lot of time staring at cloud formations, meadows, trees, lakes, river, sunset, sunrise skies while composing poems, stories etc).

I don't know when the transition took place and whether it happened suddenly or gradually, but I have become more of a practical person. I made a career as a scientist/engineer instead of a poet or writer. I no longer possess any dreams, just goals/plans and the determination to 'just do it'. I am now just a realist and not a dreamer. IMO, it is never good to be a pessimist, and the optimist/dreamer's dream could be the very thing which drives the realist to take actions ;-)

--------------
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward
----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Dreams. What good are we without them?

NYgal has her dreams and I have mine and I hope everyone out there has theirs. People without dreams remind me of a discarded bicycle. People with dreams FLY!
Listener2307,

I currently don't have any dreams and have not had one for a long time. However, I certainly don't feel like a discarded bicycle and I FLY my little plane frequently ;-) I set a goal to become a pilot after experiencing a beautiful low-level flight over the blue Caribbean water in a diving trip and learned that a fellow scuba diver was a private pilot.

We did not dream to be pilots but set our goals to fly. We started flying lessons after the trip and have enjoyed flying our own plane in the last 12 years. It was a lot of hard work, time, effort and of course money. We were not rich but put flying as one of our top spending priorities (after our kid's college tuition and retirement savings). We drove our cars to the ground, literally wear our clothes to near-rag condition, hardly eating out, DIY as much as we can etc so that we could afford flying.

Back to the OP's question of where we are right now with regards to our retirement life, we are mostly in the setting goals and planning stage. We plan to relocate within a year and to travel and fly as much as we can. We have done 3 relocation scouting trips. We are fixing up the house for sale, have a list of things to do and a general plan to execute them. We also plan for travel to experience living in few places (in Washington and Idaho) before settling down and to travel abroad for fun (Iceland is on the top of the list). We have obtained several airline credit cards to get 'free' frequent flyer mileages. We now have close to or over 100K miles with several major airlines and will 'cash' them in for trips soon.

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-27-2015 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:56 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I would look for large over 55 communities and rent in the off season to see how you like living away from your friends.

No. That is NOT going to work. You really NEED to rent in BOTH low and high season to see if you like it.

In the community that I live in, the dead of summer the place is like a ghost town. A lot of the activities shut down from June to August when about 40-50% of the residents do the "reverse snowbird" and head to their summer cottages in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and the PNW to spend time with their families. of you show up in July, you would think that it rains in Arizona everyday and that the place is boring.

If you come only during the busy season - like many first time owners do, you would think that the place is crowded, that there are perhaps too many activities and the like. Then when the snowbirds head home, you will think that the place is a ghost town.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:20 AM

207 posts, read 132,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
NYgal2NC,

I think that it is wonderful that you find dreaming keeps you alive and hopeful. When I was young, I was quite a dreamer too. I dreamed to grow up to be a great poet and a fantastic writer (yes, I spent a lot of time staring at cloud formations, meadows, trees, lakes, river, sunset, sunrise skies while composing poems, stories etc).

I don't know when the transition took place and whether it happened suddenly or gradually, but I have become more of a practical person. I made a career as a scientist/engineer instead of a poet or writer. I no longer possess any dreams, just goals/plans and the determination to 'just do it'. I am now just a realist and not a dreamer. IMO, it is never good to be a pessimist, and the optimist/dreamer's dream could be the very thing which drives the realist to take actions ;-)

--------------
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward
----------------

Listener2307,

I currently don't have any dreams and have not had one for a long time. However, I certainly don't feel like a discarded bicycle and I FLY my little plane frequently ;-) I set a goal to become a pilot after experiencing a beautiful low-level flight over the blue Caribbean water in a diving trip and learned that a fellow scuba diver was a private pilot.

We did not dream to be pilots but set our goals to fly. We started flying lessons after the trip and have enjoyed flying our own plane in the last 12 years. It was a lot of hard work, time, effort and of course money. We were not rich but put flying as one of our top spending priorities (after our kid's college tuition and retirement savings). We drove our cars to the ground, literally wear our clothes to near-rag condition, hardly eating out, DIY as much as we can etc so that we could afford flying.

Back to the OP's question of where we are right now with regards to our retirement life, we are mostly in the setting goals and planning stage. We plan to relocate within a year and to travel and fly as much as we can. We have done 3 relocation scouting trips. We are fixing up the house for sale, have a list of things to do and a general plan to execute them. We also plan for travel to experience living in few places (in Washington and Idaho) before settling down and to travel abroad for fun (Iceland is on the top of the list). We have obtained several airline credit cards to get 'free' frequent flyer mileages. We now have close to or over 100K miles with several major airlines and will 'cash' them in for trips soon.
Great post by Bella. Having dreams that turn into goals is a much more fulfilling way to live. Here are three positive quotes to add to Bella's message:

"Goals are dreams with deadlines.” ― Diana Scharf

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” – John Wooden

“You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.” — Wayne Gretsky

Old 12-28-2015, 08:47 AM

13,689 posts, read 8,589,783 times
Is there a difference between a dream and a goal?

Not to me, there isn't. I use the terms interchangeably.
Some dreamers never take action. Phooey on those people! They have a short-coming, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Teleology:
The fact or character attributed to nature or natural processes of being directed toward an end or shaped by a purpose....

Man, by design, has a teleological function in that he will become what he thinks about most of the time. My thoughts were once filled with sailboats and I became a sailor. Someone's thoughts were filled with airplanes and they became a pilot. Someone else has a different dream every day, and guess what - they go nowhere!

Goals. Dreams. Call it what you will. It's the stuff that separates us from the squirrels.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:03 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times
The article below shows 10 big differences between dreams and goals. I bolded the parts which I think most important for me

10 Big Differences Between Goals and Dreams That You Must Know | Time Management Ninja

Quote:
Here are 10 Big Differences Between Goals and Dreams:

1. Goals are something you are acting on. Dreams are something you are just thinking about.

2. Goals have deadlines. Dreams are just, well, dreams.

3. Dreams are free. Goals have a cost.

4. Goals produce results. Dreams don’t.

5. Dreams are imaginary. Goals are based in reality.

6. Goals have a finish line. Dreams never have to end.

7. Dreams can inspire you. Goals can change your life.

8. Goals must have focus. Dreams don’t.

9. Goals require hard work. Dreams just require your imagination.

10. Dreams stretch your imagination. Goals stretch you.

Goals Do Come True

Dreams can inspire you, but goals can change your life.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:37 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,851,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
The article below shows 10 big differences between dreams and goals. I bolded the parts which I think most important for me

10 Big Differences Between Goals and Dreams That You Must Know | Time Management Ninja

[/i]

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 AM

8,623 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Great post! I love that song and the goofy movie too.

I feel like wandering a lot! Feel like it right now, in fact. The weather has been interfering lately though.

We have a dog, so our wandering always includes him. Actually, we haven't been doing much travelling the past few years for one reason or another... work, finances, time, did I mention work? Not retired yet, but I can't wait! I do a lot of wandering in my head these days...

You and me both! I am just itching for a three or four day road trip. I don't remember the last time I left town, it's been so long. I know it's been over a year. I don't have my mom anymore to take care of my cats and nobody else to do it. I will come up with a solution eventually and I have the time to do it, just have to do it. Yeah, work really puts a kink in our plans, doesn't it? Sigh.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
LOL! The only thing I could come up with is "Very Best Girl Friend".
Yep.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I've only been retired for nearly 5 months and I'm already "used to it." I quit my job on a bit of a whim with the thought of getting another one once I detoxed from the stress of working nights and double shifts. I've come to realize that I do not want to work anymore and it took me way less then five years to adjust to loving my freedom. I'm still not ready to be involved with anything that has to do with anything involving structure and time constraints either, except for roller skating with the sexy seniors on Friday mornings. I'm fine tuning the art of learning how to just be. I have this dream of building a tiny house on a lake in Maine and renting it out during the tourist season and living in it over the winter months. John does not share that dream. He wants to move to Maine and sell everything here. John is also not well informed about selling income property and the tax consequences of doing so. Nor has he ever been involved with managing the money and the huge responsibility that comes along with it. He's more of the dreamer in our marriage. I'm also getting a ration of guilt from the kids in our life and from all of my friends begging me not to go. We do have a great life here and we live in Mayberry. Our neighbors are like family now and there is something to be said for living in a town where you know most of the police department by their first name, and many of the business owners as well. Each of us has to find what their ideal is in life and retirement. We also have to learn to appreciate what is familiar and not mistake it for boredom and the grass is greener scenario. Happiness comes from within and can be found no matter where you live. It's just that sometimes it's easier with the familiar and decades old relationships. The call of Maine is still with me and some day the timing may be right to move there, but for now it's just too complicated. I simply just don't want to think about anything but having fun for awhile either. I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase of retirement and the giddy excitement of this total freedom that I only had brief glimpses of during my working years.
We always wanted to live in Maine, since our college years. Even up to a few years ago, before we got grandkids. Now a drive that's more than 45 min from them is hard to want. If you buy the place on the lake and live there in winter, I can guarantee two retiree renters who will take it in summer.

BTW, I just read about a new retirement community of very small retirement homes on Lake Sebago, The Cottages at Willett Brook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement