Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:46 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

Just sitting here today in front of my computer when I should be doing some domestic work. But it's too fun to read some threads and what people post. Some I learn so much from; others aren't for me. We are all different and that is a good thing. Keeps life interesting.

Anyway, I've mentioned before how I wanted to move to NC. Then life happened and I didn't and it really looks like it won't happen, at least not any time soon.

I have friends in my life who have indicated they would prefer that I did not leave (), but the kid inside of me keeps thinking but I want to go. But where? No longer enchanted with NC, reading all of your posts make so many places so appealing.

In my younger years I wanted to get in the car and go....... drive all over the country. Stop in little towns, get little jobs, live in a room, keep life simple but learn, learn, learn and make so many friends. I still think of that now. Especially if I see a movie of someone doing something similar. I have no family ties to keep me here.

I know this thread if a frivolous one. But it's where I am "at" right now. Where are you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 12:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I still have the pull to live elsewhere, but not as strong as in past years. Three of our kids and our grandkids are here, with one on the way. This doesn't consume much of my life (right now, just one day a week) and I have lots of time when I'm not freelancing.

Where I'm at as I sit here is so relieved that the DIY renovations are nearly done on this house, just one more year of spread-out projects. Originally intended as a flip, this house is really growing on us and is in the right (for us) retirement location. So what we will do for future housing is up in the air.

Three close friends have died in the past few years, and I dropped one friendship last year for reasons I won'd dredge up here. I have only several friends left, which makes me feel a bit lost, having always had people around me through the years. Family cannot fill every need. They are close by, and that's enough. We see them on holidays and gatherings.

What I'm wishing for is a VBGF, and thinking a lot how that might happen and what I can do to be a better friend. I think having a sisterly friend would fill a gap I'm feeling as the year ends. I'm also working on ways to up my energy level so I can do more activities this coming year. Just got to cut out those carbs and sugars, even if they are supposedly "better quality" (da** WholeFoods)!

Old 12-22-2015, 01:03 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I find it hard to believe you could not break even pretty soon after moving out of New York state. The taxes, the damn awful weather, the salt on the road rusting your car into oblivion within 10-15 years of new - no thanks. Not sure NC would be that great a fit, you might as well grin and bear one more winter there as it's already started - but anywhere south and/or west of Denver, IMHO would be a good move (except for Cali, of course).

Me, not retired yet, but am already in the place I want to be.

But you know, I am thinking about a couple of things I intended to do in retirement, that are not gonna happen. First, a guy I had coffee with some mornings, ex-Navy I think, high IQ, taught chess as a part time job. I always thought when I retire, I want to get him to really teach me to play chess. Well he passed away earlier this year. I always thought I would listen to Talk of the Nation on NPR. Well that went off the air a year or two ago. And now Dianne Rehm is going to retire well before me.

Not sure what the point of that is, maybe plan to do stuff when you retire that involve people younger than you, not older than you?

Old 12-22-2015, 01:08 PM

888 posts, read 889,652 times
Wherever we go, there we are.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:17 PM

RiverBird: What I'm wishing for is a VBGF, and thinking a lot how that might happen and what I can do to be a better friend. I think having a sisterly friend would fill a gap I'm feeling as the year ends. I'm also working on ways to up my energy level so I can do more activities this coming year. Just got to cut out those carbs and sugars, even if they are supposedly "better quality" (da** WholeFoods)!

I have a woman friend who is very important to me. It's almost like a sister-connection. We just re-connected after about 3 years. I found sometimes over the years the friendship was too hard (for me) and disconnected. But during that disconnect, I knew I missed her. Two friends, both different and the same. I think the friendship of two women is a vital piece of life. Someone you can call when you need someone to listen, etc. Someone who understands the unspoken words. We both lost important people in our lives this fall, my sister in September and her mother in October. When I saw the obit I sent a sympathy message on line to her. That was the reconnect.

I know I need to work harder at being a better friend. I am embarrassed to say there have been times when I was terribly jealous of her, and I believe she was of me, at least for a while.

I called her late yesterday afternoon and told her I thought we needed to laugh, so we went to see a really terrible movie--- "Sisters." Movie had no value at all, a lot more vulgar than I expected, but a few good laughs, laughed at the same time with my friend.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:24 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
The other day I realized I had passed my 5 year retirement anniversary at the beginning of December. Until now I hadn't wanted to do anything that might require a commitment or which might seem like work... like volunteering somewhere. I think I might finally be getting to the point where I might want to get involved in something on a regular basis. I think I am finally used to being retired.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:28 PM

M3 Mitch: I find it hard to believe you could not break even pretty soon after moving out of New York state. The taxes, the damn awful weather, the salt on the road rusting your car into oblivion within 10-15 years of new - no thanks. Not sure NC would be that great a fit, you might as well grin and bear one more winter there as it's already started - but anywhere south and/or west of Denver, IMHO would be a good move (except for Cali, of course).

My finances are the main reason I do not move; moving is very expensive. I live in a senior income-based apartment complex so pay no taxes, no income tax, either. As far as the weather goes? I'm used to it. Today I am wondering where is the snow?? There should be snow at Christmas time. Instead pouring rain and high 40s/low 50s temperatures. Disappointing.

But it's what makes the world go around and keeps things interesting.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:56 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
I've been retired now for nine years. At first I lived overseas, then I spent time traveling around. I'm now back in the United states, but by June or July I hope to be living someplace new. So far, I'm not sure yet just where that would be. Part of me wants a condo that requires no maintenance and that I can lock up and leave for months at a time, as I still have the urge to spend at least half of every year traveling.

Anyway, I'm considering San Diego, Phoenix or Scottsdale, New Mexico, Florida (perhaps). I change my mind about once a day. I think I would like a place in the USA, just to call home. I guess when the time comes I'll just make up something and do it.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:59 PM

30,484 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I used to want to work and travel around the country. That's one reason I entered the medical profession, thinking I could get a job almost any place.

I only think of that now as something that was. I like staying in one place. I like north central PA. Considered Maine for a while but, nope. I like where I am. It's not perfect but it's home.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:04 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
I chose to retire in place and have never regretted it. I bought my perfect retirement place about three and a half years before giving up full time work and I still think it's my perfect retirement place after living in it almost 15 years. Some people might say I'm in a rut, but I wouldn't agree with that, as my life has a lot of variety. The only "rut" would be having lived in the greater Los Angeles area for almost 50 years (although in in half a dozen different locations), but this area offers so many things to see and do and I have done a lot of traveling in that 50 years, so again, the variety is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement