U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2015, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Reputation: 15649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There is only one true reason for Christmas. Without the celebration of that birth would the day exist?
The marketers $$$ would have invented something, trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 PM
 
Location: East Coast
2,903 posts, read 4,583,692 times
Reputation: 4291
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The Puritans didn't celebrate Christmas at all. They thought it was a pagan holiday based upon Saturnalia so they banned it.
...and they were right. Well, with regard to Christ being born on December 25.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/op...tmas.html?_r=0

BBC Religion & Ethics - Did the Romans invent Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 04:05 PM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Used to be, way back when, that the winter solstice was celebrated to welcome the time when days would start getting longer again. Google "winter solstice and christmas" for more info.
I understand all of the holidays around this time of the year and call them what they are. Winter Solstace is one series of events and Christmas another. If a person wants to celebrate the Solstice as many do then say that and celebrate. Don't marginalize someone else's special day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I understand all of the holidays around this time of the year and call them what they are. Winter Solstace is one series of events and Christmas another. If a person wants to celebrate the Solstice as many do then say that and celebrate. Don't marginalize someone else's special day.
I don't believe s/he was marginalizing anyone. It's a fact that no one knows the real birth date of Jesus. Why the 25th of December? Why Christmas Celebrated on the 25th December? -- Christmas Customs and Traditions -- whychristmas?com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 05:19 PM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I don't believe s/he was marginalizing anyone. It's a fact that no one knows the real birth date of Jesus. Why the 25th of December? Why Christmas Celebrated on the 25th December? -- Christmas Customs and Traditions -- whychristmas?com
It isn't the date it's the occasion. It is a shared day to wake up and say WE BELIEVE! Just like Easter is a shared day to day: HE HAS RISEN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 06:53 PM
 
2,810 posts, read 999,054 times
Reputation: 3256
I say Happy Holidays because it's easier than to try to guess what each person celebrates.

At the end of the day I don't understand the outrage. The fact is that someone is wishing you well. So if someone's says Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza,Happy Festivus etc. I just say Thank You and same to you.

I get so tired of people creating fake reasons to be outraged, there are so many more important things in our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 07:43 PM
 
Location: VT; previously MD & NJ
2,205 posts, read 1,347,729 times
Reputation: 6341
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There is only one true reason for Christmas. Without the celebration of that birth would the day exist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Used to be, way back when, that the winter solstice was celebrated to welcome the time when days would start getting longer again. Google "winter solstice and christmas" for more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I understand all of the holidays around this time of the year and call them what they are. Winter Solstace is one series of events and Christmas another. If a person wants to celebrate the Solstice as many do then say that and celebrate. Don't marginalize someone else's special day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I don't believe s/he was marginalizing anyone. It's a fact that no one knows the real birth date of Jesus. Why the 25th of December? Why Christmas Celebrated on the 25th December? -- Christmas Customs and Traditions -- whychristmas?com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It isn't the date it's the occasion. It is a shared day to wake up and say WE BELIEVE! Just like Easter is a shared day to day: HE HAS RISEN!
I'm not trying to marginalize Christmas. Just pointing out that the celebration derives from a series of much older holidays. I am answering your question "Without the celebration of that birth would the day exist?" by stating yes, there would still be a celebration at this time of year even if the Romans (or whomever) had not picked Dec 25.

Happy Christmas to you TuborgP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,091 posts, read 12,475,857 times
Reputation: 26117
I say Merry Christmas. If THAT offends someone, I don't care. If someone tells me Happy Kwanza or Happy Romulan Battle Day, fine by me.


Merry Christmas everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,671 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Reputation: 11956
^^^^^^^^^ Merry Christmas jim9251.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2015, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Illinois
4,754 posts, read 4,327,425 times
Reputation: 12914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am so glad we live in an area where people are not afraid to say Merry Christmas.
I don't know anyone who is afraid to say Merry Christmas. There are those obnoxious folks who pointedly say "Merry Christmas" no matter what you say to them- they're not afraid. Those who choose to say something non-religious are also not afraid of saying "Merry Christmas" - they are choosing to be inclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top