Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:56 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
There are many holidays at the year's end in addition to Christmas. So you're ignoring all the people who celebrate those. I've met many people who are as Christmas-centric as you are and I have yet to meet one who is "afraid" to say "Merry Christmas." In fact, many of them are insufferable about it. I see a War on People Who Don't Celebrate Christmas much more clearly than I see a War on Christmas.
Well put. I don't have any problem wishing people a Merry Christmas, but I usually say something along the lines of "have a great holiday!" simply because I'd rather be more inclusive. If it's not a close friend or family member that I actually know celebrates Christmas, being more general seems more appropriate as I don't know what they are or aren't celebrating.

There seems to be something of a need on the part of some to interpret an attempt at politeness as being "afraid".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 01:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
There is only one true reason for Christmas. Without the celebration of that birth would the day exist?

Old 12-23-2015, 01:23 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
I don't really care if somebody wishes me a generic "happy greeting" - that's better than wishing me ill!

But what I find annoying are those persons who think it's perfectly fine to mention Kwanzaa or Hannukah or whatever, but it isn't fine to use the word "Christmas". Yes, there are many people, companies, and gov't agencies who feel that way, and I think it's mistaken.

At any rate, I wish everyone here a Wonderful "Whatever" and a Happy New Year (whenever it is....).

Old 12-23-2015, 01:29 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I decided to change when I looked around my neighborhood and saw families that probably didn't share the same background as me, probably first or second gen immigrants from the middle east and asia.
Not knowing their religious beliefs it just seems kinder to wish them a happy holiday season and leave it at that.

Same here. If I don't know the person or know that they aren't Christians I say the Holiday thingy. I am very much anti all the PC - worked at a large corporation for 26 years where it was never ending but you never know who will decide to be offended . People can wish me a happy Hanukah, Merry Kwanza or anything else and I would accept it in the manner in was delivered.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:35 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I always say Merry Christmas. I think you should use the greeting for the holiday that YOU like to celebrate. I love it when someone says to me Happy Kwanza or Happy Hanukkah. It shows that the other someone is wanting the best for me, given their personal perspective. Happy holidays? It's a cop out. If you are proud of your celebration, shout it out. If you are atheist and purposely don't celebrate any of the typical holidays, then take your pick, or say happy holidays just for form's sake.
^^^ This! I always say Merry Christmas, and cheerfully accept whatever greeting is returned.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:46 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know anyone that doesn't celebrate Christmas, in the commercial (Santa Claus/present) way and I avoid any kind of conversation involving religion. Since all of the family comes to our house, I'm never likely to run into a stranger and be faced with what to say to them on Christmas, but if I did, it would still be Merry Christmas. For me it's no different than saying Happy New Year, just a secular holiday that most celebrate and those that do not shouldn't try to keep me from enjoying it. It would be like not saying "Happy New Year" in front of a Chinese co-worker because in their culture it's in February.
Sorry you don't know anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas. I don't. I'm not Christian. And I don't celebrate "Commercial Christmas" either. But I don't mind if someone does wish me a Merry Christmas. I take it in the spirit in which it is given and just say thank you. Same thing goes for Happy Easter.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am so glad we live in an area where people are not afraid to say Merry Christmas.
Just got back from towns doing some errands and a bit of shopping. Must've been wished a Merry Christmas 25 times. Not a single Happy Holidays.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:59 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Don't you hate companies and people who offer generic holiday wishes? It's so insulting! That's why I believe in being very specific when celebrating a holiday:

HAPPY FESTIVUS!!

After all, it's the reason for the season.
I only want to,please myself so I respond as I feel that moment.
Happy Hanukah.
Happy holidays
Seasons a greetings
May the Force be with you!

Old 12-23-2015, 03:05 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There is only one true reason for Christmas. Without the celebration of that birth would the day exist?
Used to be, way back when, that the winter solstice was celebrated to welcome the time when days would start getting longer again. Google "winter solstice and christmas" for more info.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:41 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Used to be, way back when, that the winter solstice was celebrated to welcome the time when days would start getting longer again. Google "winter solstice and christmas" for more info.
The Puritans didn't celebrate Christmas at all. They thought it was a pagan holiday based upon Saturnalia so they banned it.

/trivia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement