U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 11:17 AM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
If the OP wants to live in a mobile home and foster pets, then the OP needs to buy some land and put the mobile home on it. Most communities, even mobile home communities, have rules regarding pets.

If the OP plans to stay in Minnesota, it appears that land prices are quite low compared to other parts of the country, so buy up some land and foster as many as you can financially afford. I love that idea!
By the time you put in a well & a septic system and prepare the lot with a driveway of some sort and electricity & cable, if available, the land could be free and it's still a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 11:20 AM

4,361 posts, read 3,698,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I would like to foster pets. I have been without a cat for almost a year & it is so hard to live without a pet

A Cat for, forever & foster cats & dogs. If that will be possible,
Be sure to check the parks and townships rules on pets.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:53 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,256,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
By the time you put in a well & a septic system and prepare the lot with a driveway of some sort and electricity & cable, if available, the land could be free and it's still a lot of money.
I know that is the expensive part, but there are probably a few mobile homes with land and the necessary hookups that are affordable. At least I hope so.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
true...
~$10k well and pump system
~$10k engineered septic ($2000 if you can D-I-Y)
~$5k grading / driveway
~$10 / ft buried power
~$2k permits

Our region has 'impact fees' for converting bare land to residential (~$20k BEFORE permits)

thus... it is a good idea to buy a place with (legally placed / permitted) existing trashed home / mobile home I get them for ~$30k to $80k (5+ acres view properties in decent location with paved road access). Do be advised that 'shared' roads (driveways) and difficult driveways are the norm (I don't buy those).

$300 / day bulldozer or excavator rental for DIY (good to know what you are doing, or cheaper to hire it done ~$85 - $100/ hr for operator and machine. )

Another option... Shared equity or a extra housing space on a farm. You can offer to watch a 'farmstead' and get free use of property. (very common on dairy farms / large farms that have multiple sites).

Old 12-24-2015, 11:56 AM

39,251 posts, read 20,350,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I would like to foster pets. I have been without a cat for almost a year & it is so hard to live without a pet

A Cat for, forever & foster cats & dogs. If that will be possible,
OP, thank god for people who do this. I contribute to those jars for places like this all the time.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:07 PM

6,795 posts, read 3,862,667 times
Many mobile home parks allow pets. Of course there is a limit on the number and type permitted.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:08 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,201,788 times
Maybe rent an established mobile home on someone's property. There must be people out there with a few acres who would be interested in the added income. Just a thought.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:11 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,723,583 times
Difficult to direct OP without knowing if they have any funds to purchase land, utilities, permits and mobile home, or if they are just considering renting. Naturally when it is your own, it will be less expensive down the road without fear of your rent going up each year (but taxes might a bit)

The additional plus with your own land and home is you usually will not have restrictions on number of pets (to a degree) The minus list consists of:

1. Lack of people companionship
2. Cost to feed your dogs and very likely vet visits, which can be very costly.
3. Requires outlay of funds for land, utilities, sewer, water, permits and mobile home. So depending on what these all cost in your area, you could be looking at $70-$90,000 perhaps.

If you rent, you will have monthly rent subject to increases yearly and there will be a restriction on pets. The nicer the facility, the more restriction there would be. i do like people fostering dogs. They are God's gift to us and love us like no other. But looking at it with a clear head as well as your heart. They are an expense and limit your mobility when you do not own your own home. So you must decide with a clear head as well as your heart.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:27 PM

372 posts, read 448,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Difficult to direct OP without knowing if they have any funds to purchase land, utilities, permits and mobile home, or if they are just considering renting. Naturally when it is your own, it will be less expensive down the road without fear of your rent going up each year (but taxes might a bit)

The additional plus with your own land and home is you usually will not have restrictions on number of pets (to a degree) The minus list consists of:

1. Lack of people companionship
2. Cost to feed your dogs and very likely vet visits, which can be very costly.
3. Requires outlay of funds for land, utilities, sewer, water, permits and mobile home. So depending on what these all cost in your area, you could be looking at $70-$90,000 perhaps.

If you rent, you will have monthly rent subject to increases yearly and there will be a restriction on pets. The nicer the facility, the more restriction there would be. i do like people fostering dogs. They are God's gift to us and love us like no other. But looking at it with a clear head as well as your heart. They are an expense and limit your mobility when you do not own your own home. So you must decide with a clear head as well as your heart.
If she fosters, she may find that the foster organization pays for vet bills.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:39 PM

16,349 posts, read 10,337,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
What has that got to do with the title?
my guess is that those who dislike mobile homes will point out all the downsides of buying one.
and those who dislike pets will point out all the downsides of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or